“Sorry, but never again”

Airth Castle & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I Booked into this hotel in May and what a disappointment it was, the staff could not have cared less and the room was appalling the furniture so dated and badly scratched. The mould around the room window and around the bathroom is a disgrace too and was told when checking out that they were doing up the rooms but would take time, Sure! and at cost not much cheaper than I paid the previous week in the Sheraton through Edinburgh.
I only wish I had read up on trip advisor before booking this hotel, of which I know did have a good name for itself some years back, now I would say not. I will add a few photographs from the evening for tripadvisor readers to view.
I used to live quite close by to this hotel and frequent it quite often, back then the customer did come first and the service and quality was excellent. Since speaking to a few friends within the Stirlingshire area, no one had anything good to say about your establishment.
I do hope the PA for once does pass on the feedback to the CEO and doesn’t embarrass the company any further with the usual, ‘sorry to Learn’ and ‘personally discuss’ phrase. Hopefully he does start to listen to the customer out there that might just want to return. One thing is for certain, this customer certainly will not.
Oh and PA it’s okay, no need to reply to this one!

Room Tip: wait until the
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ukalba
Write a ReviewReviews (2,087)

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We originally booked to stay at The Cairn Lodge and hotel, however due to issues with the hot water our booking was changed to Airth Castle (both part of the Aurora group). When we arrived only one of the bookings had been sent over, however this was resolved fairly quickly as we waited in the bar area.

The rooms and public areas in the castle are clean enough and tidy, however they are in need of an update. We stayed in room 23 which had a lovely big corner bath, however the sink had a huge crack in it which wasn't so nice.

The bar, restaurant and beer garden area were nice. There was a wedding on and lots of guests to be served at the bar, however the wait wasn't bad at all. We thoroughly enjoyed our drinks sat in the beer garden in the sunshine! We were all very impressed with the food at dinner, it was delicious! We did wait a long time on our drinks during the meal and had to ask twice for dessert menus and the coffee machine was broken. The cocktails after dinner were awful! They didn't even nearly compare to the cocktails when we stayed at The Cairn Lodge. Breakfast was lovely!

At checkout they were trying to charge us a much higher rate than when we had booked originally with The Cairn, however after we showed proof in the form of email confirmation the rate was amended. Had issues with the card machine also and took several attempts for the payment to be accepted.

All in all we enjoyed our overnight stay. We would return for a meal, however we would not return to stay. The Cairn Lodge and hotel is much preferred by us as it's modern, very clean, has lovely food and drinks and the rooms and public areas were simply beautiful.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank justmyopinion1
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The castle hotel is very nice - it's clean, tidy and no unnecessary furniture in the hallways. The rooms are spacious and have the basic amenities. The bathroom was clean and everything worked. My only problems were that they obviously don't clean under the beds, as I found when I had to move one to retrieve my daughter's dropped toy and found old food and other lost belongings. The cold tap in the bathroom also took 2 hands to turn off, which was irritating.
The restaurant was nice, the food was lovely. Unfortunately most of the female staff were wearing a LOT of makeup, which is of course no reflection on the hotel but it was still a downside for them in my opinion.
If you've booked breakfast with the hotel you have to get down there early or there won't be much in the way of continental and juice left. The food was nice though.
There is a fantastic view from the castle and lots of space to walk around. The swimming pool is nice - cool and clean. It's not really suited for proper swimming as it's round, but it serves a purpose. My partner trained in the gym and said the equipment was of a good standard and worked well.
I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We booked on a dinner bed & breakfast rate for the one night. When we arrived we got checked in and pointed over the castle. The room we got was in the lower part of the castle and very old fashioned and run down. We ended up back at reception asking if they had anything more modern, receptionist was very helpful and ended up showing us 3 different rooms that we could select from. Eventually we got something more modern in style. Dinner was lovely and couldn't fault service or the food! Bar pricing also really reasonable.Feel they could with a bit of modernisation and upgrading... And then it could be something very special! Was an ok stay but I won't be rushing back!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stay for 2 nights. the landscape of the hotel is so beautiful. clear glass rooftop for dining area. staff is very helpful arranging for transport. the hotel itself is far away from town (Steerling)

room is big and free wifi. :D

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Syazmi S
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed for one night and wished we could have stayed longer. We had a good room and were very happy that we could have the window open, which is not always possible. The staff were delightful and we had a fantastic evening meal and an equally good breakfast. The swimming pool and jacuzzi were great but the ladies changing rooms were a little disappointing as they were cramped and the toiletries disappointing. However I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and given the opportunity would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I booked the hotel as a treat for our anniversary using the hotel's own website and took advantage of their DBB rate which was great value!

A warm welcome on arrival, a massive room with a decent bathroom and a bath you can actually lie down in :-) The receptionist sent us a bottle of wine to our room, compliments of the hotel, as it was our anniversary. I went to the bar to get something non-alcoholic for my husband who does not drink and the bar tender who delivered our wine would not let me pay for his drink!!

Dinner was really lovely. Haggis, neaps and tatties for hubby and a prawn starter for me. We shared a chateaubriand which was just divine and both had baked Alaska for pudding. A few glasses of coke, 1 glass of wine and a vodka and tonic and our dinner bill came to £99 !!!! Thankfully our pre-booked DBB rate allowance was £50 so we only had to pay the difference which wasn't too painful.

We were still so full the following morning that we couldn't manage breakfast but I did overhear a number of other guests say how lovely it was.

The only downside for us was the size of the bed in our room. For a hotel chain that prides itself on being boutique style and also very modern, a small double bed just really let them down. Having said that, it's a really lovely hotel chain which we have never used before and will definitely be booking one of their other hotels for Hogmanay this year.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
Grange Manor
#1 of 4 in Grangemouth
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Best Western Park Hotel

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!