“One Word ~ Perfect!”

Airth Castle & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights for my mums 50th birthday. From start to finish everything was perfect. Check in was swift and we were giving all the information needed. Our rooms were spotless, large and decorated to a very high standard. Dinner both nights was just delicious. Breakfast is a buffet with loads of choice, something for everyone. On our second morning we went for a swim. The pool area is lovely. Bar is reasonably priced. They have plenty of outside seating which was great as the sun was shining the whole time we were there. The staff in every department were very friendly. There was a wedding on both of the nights we stayed which did not disturb us at all. I have no complaints whatsoever and I will definitely be back. Keep doing what you are doing guys.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our room was OK here, a bit tired maybe, but the whole place is a little weird - a mixture of old, new, dated, fresh. Food was ok. Staff were friendly enough. My main gripe was the dining and bar area, it was like a works canteen or something, eating in the middle of a conference center. It just didn't carry the plush, luxury thing off very well, which is what they are really selling this as. I don't get it. Also - we were away for a romantic night, we were lost in the mass catering hall and even more lost when a wedding party descended into the bar area.

Room Tip: It'll be quietest away from the wedding parties.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one week while working near Grangemouth. It is fairly easy to find from the M9 and only a ten minute drive away from Grangemouth and Falkirk. There were a group of us staying, some in the castle and some in the hotel complex nearby. The reception staff were very pleasant and provided all the assistance we required. My room was in the main complex and appeared to have been two concerted into one. It had lots of space with a large corner sofa and double windows. The only problem I found was it was always too warm. I left both windows open all day, but this did not cool down the room much. It may be because it looked out into a courtyard area which was something of a sun trap (when it's out).
Those in the castle had fairly pleasant rooms although the window in one had to be held open with a toilet roll!
Our dinner on the first night was not the best. The staff had to be constantly called over for service and the food was something of a let down when it arrived. Things did improve as the week went on and I can recommend the steaks which we all agreed were superb. One of my favourite dishes was the scallops starter.
Breakfast is the usual buffet offering. Porridge does not appear on the menu, but can be ordered as can a selection of other breakfast favourites.
Some of our party did try out the spa and pool facilities and did not have any complaints.
Overall, we all agreed that the hotel was generally good, but better than average, but there is no 'good' choice on tripadvisor so I have gone with 'very good'. We would all be happy to stay again, and some of us will in fact be returning shortly.

Room Tip: I had room 215 which was very large, but quite warm.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Airth castle is situated in a splendid location and the facilities are excellent.
There are staffing issues in the main dining room, however.
Some members of staff are forgetful, careless and slow. True customer focus is lacking.
Let me illustrate-when I entered the dining area to have my evening meal, I was virtually ignored-I had to approach a member of staff and had to ask this person if I could have a table for one. Shouldn't it be the staff member who takes the initiative here?
I ordered a glass of wine, which only materialised after a very long wait and a reminder to the waitress that I asked for the wine a good while ago.
Clearly, she had forgotten!
When it was time for me to settle my bill, which amounted to approx £25, I asked if I could pay by credit card, but on checking the amount on the card machine, it was showing £77! I noticed this error just in time. When I pointed out the mistake to the waitress, there was no apology-only a shrug of the shoulders.
In this restaurant, then the staff have a number of urgent training needs.
All the events I have described occurred at a time when the hotel restaurant was not particularly busy. Otherwise, I could have made some allowances for these deficiences.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Anthony h
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Friendly helpful staff from the moment you arrive. Reception, bar and restaurant staff couldn't do enough to make your stay memorable. There was a wedding on the weekend we were there but it did not deter from us still getting first class service. The room was lovely with everything you could need. The food was excellent both for breakfast and in the evening. Would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: As we did not see any other room other than the one we stayed in we could not comment.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed here twice in June while working in Grangemouth. It's only a short drive from the refinery but far enough away to feel like it's in the middle of nowhere.
The 'castle' is more of a manor house with turrets, but it's pretty enough and you can see why lots of people have their wedding receptions there because the grounds are well kept. The hotel rooms are actually in a separate block just down from the 'castle' building. The first time I stayed there I was in a ground floor room and there was no mobile or internet signal which was a pain. Room was okay - decor a bit tired, but it was clean and spacious. It was also extremely quiet and had a comfy bed which made for a good nights sleep. Swimming pool is really good and was just the thing after a day's travelling. The guy on Reception even lent me a coin for the locker. This excellent service wasn't matched by some of the other staff who seemed a bit indifferent and one lady in particular who chased me down the corridor to ask me to pay a restaurant bill when I hadn't even eaten in the restaurant. If you don't want to use the hotel restaurant, dinner options are a bit limited in Airth, but the Haggis Pie from Costcutter for a bargain £1 was lovely and the vegetable biryani from the Indian take away on the High St was superb. I also had a pint in what might be Scotland's emptiest pub - but the beer was excellent. Second time I stayed here I had a room on the first floor with a squeaky fire door outside and some noisy Chinese tourists in the next room. The bathroom looked as if it had recently been decorated and was finished to an impressive standard. Again, it was very clean. Special mention must go to the breakfast - the self service buffet featuring haggis and potato cakes really sets you up for the day. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank M T
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I Booked into this hotel in May and what a disappointment it was, the staff could not have cared less and the room was appalling the furniture so dated and badly scratched. The mould around the room window and around the bathroom is a disgrace too and was told when checking out that they were doing up the rooms but would take time, Sure! and at cost not much cheaper than I paid the previous week in the Sheraton through Edinburgh.
I only wish I had read up on trip advisor before booking this hotel, of which I know did have a good name for itself some years back, now I would say not. I will add a few photographs from the evening for tripadvisor readers to view.
I used to live quite close by to this hotel and frequent it quite often, back then the customer did come first and the service and quality was excellent. Since speaking to a few friends within the Stirlingshire area, no one had anything good to say about your establishment.
I do hope the PA for once does pass on the feedback to the CEO and doesn’t embarrass the company any further with the usual, ‘sorry to Learn’ and ‘personally discuss’ phrase. Hopefully he does start to listen to the customer out there that might just want to return. One thing is for certain, this customer certainly will not.
Oh and PA it’s okay, no need to reply to this one!

Room Tip: wait until the
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ukalba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
Best Western Park Hotel
King Robert Hotel
King Robert Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bannockburn

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!