“OK but I wouldn't go back”

Airth Castle & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Stuart, Florida
“OK but I wouldn't go back”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

One of the things I hate about going to a decent hotel on the weekends is weddings, and sure enough I book this place and there are like 2 weddings going on. Lots of noise, lots of congestion and not what I’m looking for coming from the US and trying to treat my wife to a nice castle environment. I did a lot of research on this place, finding that there are a limited number of rooms in the castle itself, and then a lot more rooms in the main buildings. I actually booked one year in advance (to the day) to ensure that I would get a castle room with a four poster bed (there are only 3 rooms like this) and much to my dismay when I checked in, all the poster bedrooms were gone. I was pissed! I mean really! Here I am putting up with a bunch of drunk obnoxious wedding parties and I probably got screwed out of my room to accommodate one of the brides on her wedding night. Had I not traveled over 4,000 miles from the US for this special occasion I might not be so pissed, but I was! So I nicely talked to the front desk girl who basically said too bad, we’re sold out but I might be able to get you in the room you want in a few nights. Right, like I’m staying here for awhile? So I told her I wanted to talk to her bosses boss, the owner. She said that wasn’t going to happen. No way she would call. Finally talked to the manager in charge that night. I could tell he was very busy with the weddings but he said he would take something off the bill. He did, but still overall it was not a pleasant experience. Then we went to the pool. By then it was 9pm and they close at 10pm. Hottub was small and packed with like 7 people. No way to get in. Waited around about 30 minutes and finally got in for a few before some more rowdies came. We had dinner there although I had read on TripAdvisor that maybe I should stay away…….but we were too tired to go out. Dinner was ok but breakfast was even better.

Room Tip: Staying in the castle is nice, but keep in mind there are no elevators and rooms are either up stair...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Meek5968
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We were given a spa break to celebrate our silver wedding, having spent our wedding night here all those years ago, Things have certainly changed - the castle is only used for weddings and rooms now - there is nothing else in the castle itself. The rooms are lovely, spacious and clean. Four poster bed was firm (but gorgeous). The room had everything you need including robes and slippers. Bathroom was very clean and seemed very new- only let down by cheap loo paper!! Everything else is centred around the newer building. Think it would be nice if there was a snug bar or something in the castle.
We had a facial and a massage both of which were relaxing, then spent time in the gym before relaxing in the pool, sauna and jacuzzi. All of these facilities were great but felt that some areas around the pool were showing signs of age. The changing facilities were also on the small side. These are the only negatives. We used the bar and the restaurant and both were excellent with friendly staff. My husband and I shared the steak platter for 2 and I can safely say it was the best steak I have ever tasted (cant wait to go back again and again). When the staff found out it was our anniversary they brought us champagne and chocolate covered strawberries - a wonderful gesture and much appreciated, I loved the glass restaurant, especially because it was a beautiful evening, From start to finish we had a great time and thank the hotel and their staff. (We also had complimentary champagne in our room. )

Room Tip: The castle rooms are lovely but you have to walk over from the main hotel areas so not sure how plea...
1 Thank Meek5968
Uk
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights for a friends wedding which was held at Glenbervie House.

Our room was in the castle which is a beautiful building! but needs tlc. The wallpaper had seen better days and the bathroom needs regrouting and a spruce up. All the staff were lovely and food was lovely.

If a little money was spent on this hotel it would be fabulous!!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Had our sixth successful stay at Airth Castle. Our haven when my husband and I want to get away from the stress of everyday life. On our visit this time we came across a member of staff called Michael, he worked in the bar. He was so welcoming and very very attentive. Impeccable manners too and I told him so! Steven McLeod this employee is a treasure along with the hotel.

Room Tip: We usually have a corner suite but stayed in a family room this time, was still very quiet and comfo...
1 Thank Dorothy T
South Wales UK
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Found this by chance because other hotels were full £141 with breakfast bargin, stunning grounds beautiful castle and hotel lovely bar area, its not haunted but there are spirits there being a medium i found it interesting night

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as a valentines surprise we weren't in the castle as booked we were in a dirty building with carpet on the walls filled with dust everywhere (you could write your name on the bedside cabinet) we had to leave early as the dust made me have an asthma attack!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Ellen M

Travellers are raving about these Airth hotels

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Not because its so terrible, just that its so far from what it pretends to be, it sells itself as a spa resort.. Well it isn't, the 'spa' is tiny and barely qualifies, the rooms are poorly designed and have the same tired decor of 10 years ago, the last time i was there. The walls are paper thin and noise is a continuous problem, its a wedding venue 3 nights a week, every week, the staff are too young and inexperienced, my room had faulty items which were never repaired, and the less said about the 'nazi' like breakfast experience the better...AVOID!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Albertz31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 4 in Grangemouth
Broomhall Castle
Broomhall Castle
#1 of 1 in Menstrie

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!