“What can I say...?”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kinlochbervie
Kinlochbervie Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kinlochbervie
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This place is certainly not terrible - far from it - but it is peculiar. As hinted elsewhere it has the unmistakable whiff of a former care home or hostel, and with minimal attempt at conversion. I could see little sign of ornaments, a few of these - mimsy or otherwise - might have relieved the cavernous empty space in the dayroom-like communal areas.

There are many good points. The staff are clearly making an effort, within their knowledge, to do a good job. The facilities are clean, and service is prompt. The bedroom areas are nicely decorated and well-equipped. Breakfast was top notch, and this was the only place on my trip that provided a jug of cream with the porridge. The mushroom is especially worthy of note - huge, fresh and tasty! My evening meal was predominantly good, though sliced bread with soup is a let-down and I'm not sure the lettuce is the ideal accompaniment for venison casserole with potatoes au gratin!

In my room, some fine-tuning was needed in the bathroom. The shower being attached to the bath-taps was not in itself a problem, but only the hot water was diverted to the shower attachment, not the cold! Also the toilet needed four flushes to dispose of solids, not a problem for me as I was travelling solo, but could make things unsavoury for those sharing a room...

The outside areas had an air of neglect - the rendering of the upper areas of walls had been painted, but the paint allowed to drip onto the ground, including onto the quarry-tiled steps to the main entrance. Even in a remote area someone should realise to use a dustsheet? And the proprieters really should consider making an inside area available for storage of cycles as this was the only place out of 13 I visited where this was not offered.

Overall, a memorable trip and a place I warmed to in many ways, but a few aspects left me mystified...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank hwylasbri

Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I stayed three nights at this hotel in early August and found the whole experience quite delightful. I have read some of the negative reviews and would like to counter them.

OK, the hotel is now a little dated and indeed could benefit from an update if money was available. But remember that this is a remote part of north west Scotland ('one of the last wildernesses of Europe' I have read it described), so I don't think pristine quality should automatically be expected, especially at the reasonable price. And I don't think Michelin star quality food should be expected as a matter of course.

Our twin room looked out the front, was large and comfortable furnished in 'the old style' and the bathroom operated adequately. A major bonus was the unexpected high quality of the dinners prepared by the French chef in residence at the time. His marinated mackerel was as good as at expensive restuarants in France. Further, we received dauphinoise potatoes with the main course, something we were not expecting at this price and in this remote area.

The quality of the service and welcome depends to some extent on the small number of local young people available and on duty at the time. Again I don't think it should be expected that this will always be top class.

We also benefited from a ceilidh with a local live band being held one night, which drew local people from a wide area (as well as a resident party of American tourists). We were pleased to experience the local 'scene'. There was a plentiful supply of whiskies!

This hotel is a good place to stay in this remote area and is not over-priced.

Room Tip: One looking out front towards the sea is a bonus.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Just spent the weekend at this hotel whilst on a fishing trip with my local club. Having read through the reveiws and some are awful, I didn't know what to expect. What I found was friendly helpful staff, a clean comfortable ensuite room, stocked with enough tea, coffee and hot chocolate to last a week never mind a day. Anything used was replenished in the morning.
The breakfast is full Scottish or if you prefer continental that is available too. In our case as we were fishing early on sunday morning, before breakfast was due to be served, we were offered bacon/sausage/egg rolls to take to the boat.
After fishing The bill for ten of us having an evening meal was £160/180 and the food was tasty. None of us had any complaints and we are booking again next year.
It is sad that some people get their kicks from maligning others and some of the worst reviews on here are not justifiable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Philip M
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed here on a recent Friday night when they had a ceilidh on and had a brilliant night. Dinner was really nice and house wine was decent. The rooms are a bit dated but you get what you pay for. It's not expensive so you can't expect a ritz Carlton. The location is stunning, the staff are friendly and helpful and the views are wonderful. The bar was busy and the ceilidh was fabulous. Our small group of Americans had a great night, dancing and chatting to the locals which is what they all want to do in Scotland. Great night, slept great and had a good dinner. You are not paying fancy posh prices so u can't expect fancy posh. It's a true three star hotel and well deserved. Will definitely return.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank CelticDreamTours
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Always look forward to coming up north to kinlochbervie. Its in the middle of nowhere really. Great for getting away from normal life and just relaxing with some lovely long walks, z comfy room, and friendly staff. I've visited a couple of times now. And although the weather isn't always kind to me, it's never ruined a trip, there's always somewhere to go. Can't fault the place really, it is old fashioned in places, no denying that, but it seems to be improving each time I go. Food has always been quite tasty and filling. Looking forward to another trip in 2014.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank shazpeel
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Once again we had a great holiday here. The best breakfast we have ever had ali freshly prepared, loved the porridge. The room had great views and was very clean as were all the public areas. The staff are extreemly helpful and polite nothing is too much trouble for them. This is our third year on holiday at this great value for money hotel we are booking up for next year, even although it is a long drive from Dorset.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ella D
KLBHotel, Owner at Kinlochbervie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you for your review, we look forward to seeing you again next year!

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I have stayed here on six weekend breaks over the last 2 years. The food has been superb, the rooms spacious and clean and the staff friendly and helpful. The bed and breakfast rate is extremely reasonable. Breakfasts are generous and the quality of the cooked bacon and eggs surpases most that I have tasted in my travels around Scotland.

I am really at a loss to understand why customers have posted poor reviews, as on every occasion I have stayed at the hotel I have had a very relaxing and enjoyable holiday.

I would strongly recommend the hotel to my friends and relatives when holidaying in the north of Scotland.

Ken Taylor.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your review, and we're glad you enjoy your stays with us. Looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinlochbervie
Inver Lodge Hotel
#1 of 4 in Tongue
Ben Loyal Hotel
Ben Loyal Hotel
#2 of 4 in Tongue

Been to Kinlochbervie Hotel? Share your experiences!