“lunch stop off”

The Old Bakery
Ranked #7 of 12 Restaurants in Braemar
Price range: US$7 - US$11
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: A family run coffee house and restaurant servicing locally sourced ingredients for Traditional Scottish and Authentic Italian Cuisine.
Reviewed 31 August 2013

busy little cafe just managed to get a table. I think they opened downstairs after turning a few people away. I had a samwich and salad and as my husband is a coiliac the only thing we could see on the menu was a baked potato which he had with butter. This is no fault of the cafe and it is difficult anywhere to get a snack for a coiliac.the young girl serving was very pleasant and we enjoyed our lunch.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I went into the Old Bakery, first place I tried whilst staying in Breamer, on Wed 14 Aug but I stood at the counter for 5 mns waiting for service, shouted, is anyone there? service please, there seemed to be alot of activity in kitchen, they should have had a counter bell, I therefore shrugged my shoulders after 20mns wait and went out of there...so didn't get a chance to try the food or have a real opinion of the place...looked a bit dingy to me, the food might have been fine as there were people eating in there.

1  Thank 983joans
Graeme M, Owner at The Old Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Hi Joan, In response to your review I would point out that we have only one counter for service and that is situated at the entry to the restaurant. If all the tables had been full, one of the waitresses would have guided you to the lower restaurant and promptly taken your order. You appear to have located yourself in the downstairs restaurant where there is no service counter and no requirement for a bell. As you duly pointed out the kitchen activity was hectic and with the fans on, very noisy, thus eliminating any chance of seeing or hearing you. I am surprised that during your 20 minute vigil no waitress delivered food to the other customers in that area, as it was extremely busy. To answer your last sentence, decoration is to commence end of the season and our customers find the food good and eat it!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We (a party of 5) arrived here at lunchtime, tried to find a table, none were big enough.
So we went downstairs to be told" this area is only for locals" by a very rude woman.
We will not be back, and will tell everyone that we know to avoid this place!

2  Thank granttd73
Graeme M, Owner at The Old Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

At the time of your arrival the tables in the upstairs restaurant were all taken. You promptly headed downstairs to be informed that due to two members of staff not turning up for work this area was not open to the public for that day. We had a member of staff sitting having his lunch break and two local tradesmen having food provided by ourselves, as they were duly working on a repair in the back store. I have approached these people and they confirmed the member of staff was courteous and polite towards you for an event out of her control. Sometimes in life things don't go as you would like and I would suggest that in the future, you take time to reflect before venting your anger on others. Your closing sentence in your review (first ever) taints of immaturity and would suggest you pick up your toys and put them back in the pram, as life can be a long time.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I just wanted a snack but could see nothing on the menu that was tempting so chose an Aberdeen Angus burger - I think Aberdeen Angus would be furious at them calling it by his name because the burger tasted terrible - i would say the birdseye burgers are better - this thing was not nice at all. I say I wonder what our overseas visitors must think because you can eat at any small restaurant in Switzerland for example and not be disappointed - in Scotland if you find out which is slightly better than mediocre you are doing well. The wonderful meal in question cost £7.65 if I remember correctly - not expensive but heavens above, surely to goodness they could do better than this. There was mould on the ceiling, ceiling had brown marks all over it - all in all awful. The waitress was pleasant and that was the only good thing about it I'm afraid. Captive audience springs to mind.

Hi Fiona, hopefully I can address your issues one at a time. As the snack menu has over 24 different choices I am disappointed you could not find anything tempting. I would however be interested in what you would have liked to have seen as choices, please e-mail. The Aberdeen Angus Burger is one of our most popular choices, particularily amongst the foreign tourists we entertain from our French, German, Dutch and Italian Holiday Tours. These are delivered fresh from a local supplier who caters for establishments as far south as Edinburgh and as far North as the Shetlands. They are of course an aquired taste, as is venison and other game meats. The comparison to a frozen birdseye burger is harsh, as until recently as confirmed on the television these contained horse meat. I conclude from your review you find eating establishments in general in Scotland average compared to Switzerland. Having eaten in over twenty countries in my travels a lot is dependent on personal choice of meal and that countries style of cooking. Lastly I would agree the ceiling requires some work to rid the discolouration on the metal beams which is to be addressed end of season.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We eat here regularly when in Braemar. The spaghetti carbonara is better than I've had in Italy. My husband is very fond of Steak Pie and enthuses about the pie here.

On occasions we've had the Big Breakfast or the smaller Breakfast Brunch and really enjoyed them. I don't like black pudding and I was offered a substitute which was very welcome. Portion sizes are good.

The scones are amazing and huge. We often buy some to take home. It is so lovely to be given extra hot water with a pot of tea.

As other people have said this is a popular place and the staff are always welcoming.