“Excellent home cooked food”
Review of The Old Bakery

The Old Bakery
Ranked #7 of 12 Restaurants in Braemar
Price range: US$7 - US$10
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: A family run coffee house and restaurant servicing locally sourced ingredients for Traditional Scottish and Authentic Italian Cuisine.
Reviewed 17 October 2013

If you want excellent wholesome home cooked food at a reasonable price this is the place to go. Food is varied and imaginative. Omelettes compete with Venison burgers and Haggis filled baked potatoes ( my favourite)

1  Thank cartoon-economics

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Cafe on the main street that serves wholesome lunches. If you peek in and it looks busy, don't be put off, there is a large seating area on a lower level. If I am heading out to Derry Lodge for a few days, I get a good lunch here both before and after. This year we were in twice. If the staff are not run off their feet, you'll be served right away. If they are run off their feet, pop up to the counter, and it won't be long. Given the choice between the obvious local very large eatery and this place, I'm in here.

1  Thank Pete_Chipp
Reviewed 31 August 2013

busy little cafe just managed to get a table. I think they opened downstairs after turning a few people away. I had a samwich and salad and as my husband is a coiliac the only thing we could see on the menu was a baked potato which he had with butter. This is no fault of the cafe and it is difficult anywhere to get a snack for a coiliac.the young girl serving was very pleasant and we enjoyed our lunch.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I went into the Old Bakery, first place I tried whilst staying in Breamer, on Wed 14 Aug but I stood at the counter for 5 mns waiting for service, shouted, is anyone there? service please, there seemed to be alot of activity in kitchen, they should have had a counter bell, I therefore shrugged my shoulders after 20mns wait and went out of there...so didn't get a chance to try the food or have a real opinion of the place...looked a bit dingy to me, the food might have been fine as there were people eating in there.

1  Thank 983joans
Graeme M, Owner at The Old Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Hi Joan, In response to your review I would point out that we have only one counter for service and that is situated at the entry to the restaurant. If all the tables had been full, one of the waitresses would have guided you to the lower restaurant and promptly taken your order. You appear to have located yourself in the downstairs restaurant where there is no service counter and no requirement for a bell. As you duly pointed out the kitchen activity was hectic and with the fans on, very noisy, thus eliminating any chance of seeing or hearing you. I am surprised that during your 20 minute vigil no waitress delivered food to the other customers in that area, as it was extremely busy. To answer your last sentence, decoration is to commence end of the season and our customers find the food good and eat it!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We (a party of 5) arrived here at lunchtime, tried to find a table, none were big enough.
So we went downstairs to be told" this area is only for locals" by a very rude woman.
We will not be back, and will tell everyone that we know to avoid this place!

2  Thank granttd73
Graeme M, Owner at The Old Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

At the time of your arrival the tables in the upstairs restaurant were all taken. You promptly headed downstairs to be informed that due to two members of staff not turning up for work this area was not open to the public for that day. We had a member of staff sitting having his lunch break and two local tradesmen having food provided by ourselves, as they were duly working on a repair in the back store. I have approached these people and they confirmed the member of staff was courteous and polite towards you for an event out of her control. Sometimes in life things don't go as you would like and I would suggest that in the future, you take time to reflect before venting your anger on others. Your closing sentence in your review (first ever) taints of immaturity and would suggest you pick up your toys and put them back in the pram, as life can be a long time.