“Aukward”

The Old Bakery
Ranked #7 of 12 Restaurants in Braemar
Price range: US$7 - US$11
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: A family run coffee house and restaurant servicing locally sourced ingredients for Traditional Scottish and Authentic Italian Cuisine.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

They weren't very happy that we just wanted coffee, so we felt a bit uncomfortable and bolted it down!

Graeme M, Owner at The Old Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

As there is not much information in your review, I have taken time to ask the staff of any such incident.They can only remember one situation where the couple ordered one cup of coffee. A minute later the person with the coffee requested an empty cup and a pot of hot water as the customer was going to share her coffee with the second person. The waitress acknowledged the request informing the lady that a small charge would be applied for the second cup. The lady did not take kindly to this but agreed to pay the small charge. You are correct when you state it was AWKWARD and uncomfortable, for both parties, as this was an unusual request to the staff. We have numerous customers who just have a hot drink without any food and they are all treated equally special.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Braemar at 7.00 p.m. on a Sunday offers few choices of places to eat cheaply. The Old Bakery answers the question. Service with a smile, great food and at a great price. Don't expect an extensive menu, fine wines and real ale - there are other places nearby for that at double the price. This place does what it is supposed to do.

2  Thank Stephen O
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Popped in today, myself, hubby and my cousin for lunch, the staff are very friendly and our order was brought to us quickly even though quite busy, the choice of meals are more than plenty and very good.

We were full so no dessert for us even though they looked yummy !!

The tea was a good one...readers of my posts know I like my cuppa's !!

Beware - one lady tried to pay by card and they do not take them !!

She was told that there was a hole in the wall across the road and the lady toddled there for some money.

All in all one to be recommended to people !!

2  Thank Barbara R
Reviewed 18 May 2014

At 8.30 am yesterday, the Old Bakery was the only place in Braemar I could find open for breakfast.
I was the only customer but was made so welcome and the conversation, as others have noted , was flowing and easy.
The menu had a number of breakfast options. The one I chose had included bacon, which I am off at the moment, and I as offered an additional egg or whatever I wished in place.
Two chunky pieces of perfectly browned toast arrived very quickly together with a generous pot of tea. The breakfast arrived shortly after and it looked magnificent. In fact it was excellent but so generous that I was unable to do full justice, maybe because my mind was on the hills I was to climb shortly. Next time I shall do justice.

3  Thank Hugh W
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We dropped into this cafe on the last day of our stay in Braemar to fill ourselves up for the long journey to Grantown on Spey. The two ladies running it were very friendly and chatty, the full breakfast was large, filling and very tasty.I look forward to returning there next time we are in Braemar

2  Thank Strainseir