“Highland Treat”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Postcode AB35 5YQPhone 013397 41627
Reviewed 12 May 2013

4 of us ate here recently and had a beautiful meal. The dining room was packed on a Friday night but the waiting staff and kitchen seemed to cope without any effort. Easy for me to say! There is a smaller room in the middle with a larger area looking out over the garden. Starters were sorbet (pineapple served on sliced fruit) leek and potatoe soup, smoked salmon with lemon and capers. All very good. Mains - double burger (huge), chicken, pan fried salmon. All were cooked beautifully and served with flair. A table of 19 next to us also had desserts which looked tempting. Wish this place was more local. This is one of the best meals I have had in a while. Very highly recommended if you a in the area or on holiday.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

We arrived here dangerously close to kitchen-closing time, and very hungry. We received a very warm welcome and sat in the bar looking at menus over glasses of wine. In Braemar, the display of deer heads on every vertical surface is compulsory, and someone in the Lodge bar has approached this duty with particular zeal. Both of us are vegetarians, and as we sat and contemplated the remains of our hairy friends, we were prepared to be culinarily underwhelmed. The vegetarian starter and main course on the menu were both goat's-cheese themed - great for the him, but no good for me (bleurgh! I long for the days when spinach and ricotta lasagne was fashionably exotic). I was planning on cobbling together a meal out of sandwiches and side-dishes, but our host said she would ask the chef if he could conjure up something else. And did he ever!

By some oversight, the dining room contained no deer-heads, but there were some stuffed squirrels. In it, I was presented with a wonderful roasted half aubergine, topped with a fabulous concoction of green beans and other good things. I wish I could remember the official terminology, but I can can tel you it was really, *really* good. The goats-cheese thing was apparently also "excellent", although this obviously can't actually be true.

We then had puddings. If anything, these were even better then the main course. Mine involved honeycomb ice-cream and was tasty, unusual and quietly spectacular.

Definitely recommended!

2  Thank hareonskis
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

We were staying in the fife arms in Braemar for two nights midweek and were desperately looking for another place to have an evening meal. We booked here and from the moment we entered were made to feel very welcome. Our order was taken and we decided to go straight for a main course however when it arrived and we realised the quality we were upset that we couldn't taste more our their food. It was to a very good standard. We both ordered a sweet even though we were full, these again were both very tasty. The service was very good and all of our needs were catered to. Would eat here again and considering stopping here if ever in the area again

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Located just across the road from the guesthouse where I was staying, the Braemar Lodge was open on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings during winter and for that alone is worth mentioning. I discovered during my stay that there are not many places for an evening meal in Braemar mid-week, in winter.

It’s a large country house styled place. The bar as you enter appears to have been decorated in the style of Monarch of the Glen - cozy log fire and more stags heads on the walls than you could imagine for such a small room! It also houses a huge selection of malt whisky which I would have thought would satisfy everyone who “likes a dram” however one of the staff advised someone managed to ask for something which wasn’t stocked recently! (It must have been a very rare malt). The dining room is fairly large, traditionally furnished and split between two areas with bay windows overlooking the front of the hotel.

The first evening I was there was quiet with only a handful of guests having ventured in to eat. The menu has a reasonable selection of about five or six items per course and various steaks in addition. I opted for Cream of Mushroom soup for starters followed by Corn Fed Chicken. The tasty soup was served with several slices of really nice “Balmoral Bread”. The chicken was also good as was the haggis fritter however I wasn’t so sure about the roasted/baked vegetables which accompanied the meal - these were too mushy for my liking. I had a couple of glasses of Pinot Grigio to wash down the food and despite the waitress offering me the wine list to follow I resisted the temptation - and the dessert menu which she had meant! We had a laugh about that which was needed in an otherwise very quiet dining room. The service from Samantha was otherwise very efficient and pleasant!

The second evening was busier and realising a few half bottles of wine were available I opted for some Chablis at £13.50 (versus Pinot Grigio at £5.95 per glass). On this occasion I had duck pate for starters, followed by Cajun Salmon with roasted vegetables and salsa and for dessert Sticky Pavlova. The vegetables apart I enjoyed the food. To round off the evening I had an Amaretto on ice through in the bar where the log fire had been rescued from the ashes! Again the service by the local staff on duty was pleasant and friendly.

Average costs for starters £5, mains £15, desserts £6 and decent value in my opinion for the food offered. I would have liked some local game on the menu - it apparently does feature at times - but that apart I was happy with the experience. I agree with a previous report that it is a long way from deserving it’s current bottom of the league status on TA for Braemar restaurants.

Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

We ate in Braemar Lodge last Sunday and although they were busy and we hadn't booked they managed to fit us in although we had to wait in the bar area for about an hour to be seated. Admittedly some of that was whilst they cooked the haggis stuffed chicken that I had chosen.

Overall the food was excellent and the friendly staff made it a worthwhile visit.

Their homemade cinnamon icecream was delicious and they were happy to accommodate changes to a dish to suit a diners request (the vegetarian option included goats cheese which my other half doesn't like so was easily swapped for mozzarella with other options suggested).

I think it's fair to say that the food was certainly better than the current rating would suggest and definately worth a try if your trying to find somewhere decent to eat in Braemar.