“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grey Gull Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ardrishaig
Grey Gull Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ardrishaig
Invrkeithing
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stay in a lot of hotels on business so know which are good, bad or just OK. I managed to get a room booked on the same night I was staying and cannot fault this place. From the genuine, friendly welcome from Heather and Bruce this place is very relaxing with great views over Loch Gilp. Nice open feel to the dining room and when locals are eating you know the food must be good which it certainly was, and incredibly reasonably priced, I mean really well priced with everything at one price on the menu. Service is very friendly and a great breakfast seved too. Not to mention the great range of scottish bottled beers, lovely large paintings of the local scenery from a local artist and information boards to give you a sense of history about where you are staying. The room was large and well equiped and again, very reasonably priced. All in all, a cracking place to stay, ignore the bad reviews, you won't be disappointed

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ifraser33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed at the this B+B for 1 night as we were attending a wedding in the village.
The hotel is run by very welcoming Australians and is on the loch front as you drive into the village. The restaurant seemed to be very well served but tourist and locals and we had a fabulous evening meal there. The chef is a huge asset to this place. Breakfast was also very good.
We had a room on the second floor and there aren't any lifts. Its not a huge walk but its something to be aware of.
We were given a family room with a double and a single in it. The room was huge and was on the front so again we had those fabulous views.
The only criticism I would have is that the bed was very small. I am spoint my having a huge king size at home but even so this felt more like a 3/4 than a double and I didn't sleep very well for this reason.
The bathroom was basic but clean and I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Lochgilphead
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

On Sunday, 29th April, I had the misfortune to visit the hotel /restaurant in Ardrishaig with my sister and her son.
We had gone there as a treat for him, as he has special needs and doesn’t get out and about as much as other teenage children.
On our arrival I felt a little uneasy as the elderly woman in charge tried to steer us away from the centre of the room, but we were quite happy with the table which was right next to us.
She then took our orders, consistently asking us what my nephew's preferences were, rather than asking him directly, which he would have been quite capable of answering in a succinct manner.
Having taken our orders she left, our drink orders arrived and 20 minutes later our food order arrived.
My nephew’s burger was very dry and his chips were reheated, my scampi was either reheated or of very poor quality, also with reheated chips, and my sister’s dish was disappointing, as her baked potato had a very substandard coleslaw consisting mainly of carrot.
The service was poor throughout, other than the girl who actually served our dishes, who asked my nephew if he would like a choice of sauce for his burger, (he chose tomato).
At no time did the person who appeared to be in charge approach our table to enquire if our meal was alright, although she did this with most if not all of the other diners in the room.
No-one else in the room seemed to be uncomfortable with us being there, the problem seemed to come from the person who appeared to be in charge.
The cost of the lunch came to over £20, it was extremely overpriced for what we received with poor quality scampi, chips, burgers and coleslaw.
As none of us felt able to finish our meals, the general consensus was that the food was awful.
Had my sister and I been there on our own we would have complained there and then, but as my nephew is uncomfortable near conflict, we felt it better to get him away from the area.
We feel the attitude of senior staff towards those less able than themselves should be looked into as a matter of some urgency. We did not feel welcome in that establishment, we felt we were served the poorest quality faire because we were with my nephew who obviously requires special care, and we will certainly NOT be going back to that establishment again, either with or without my nephew.
The attitude of the management seemed to indicate that anyone with special needs was a nuisance deemed worthy only of the cheapest , reheated food, along with his carers.
We felt like we were being treated as second class citizens, purely because my nephew is autistic.
At no time was he inappropriate in his behaviour, even covering his mouth when he had to cough.
It should be pointed out that we were not there as his carers and we would not be reimbursed for the cost of the meal.

Room Tip: Don't go if you have a disabled member in your party
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Richard D
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Although it might appear i am picking holes, things annoyed me in an otherwise clean, comfortable environment with great views from the restaurant and garden.

Ironing board collapsed and didn`t work, toilet paper was individual sheets and for that reason alone i wont stay again..( my wife suggested taking toilet rolls next time! ) No menues in the room or suggestion of what was available in the restaurant.

My main gripe is that there is no breakfast menu.." would you like something cooked".."yes please" ..."what would you like?"....."what have you got"....."we`ve got most things"......very, very annoying!!!!!

I would rather have had a menu with options, or no banter, just served up!

And there is no dedicated bar area.

All this being said i wouldn`t put anybody off of staying here, the people are very friendly, even if they answered the phone while i was in the middle of a conversation.

So, the good points: Comfortable, clean, great location, i am told the food is normally very good by a friend who lives locally, my dinner was average but the breakfast was great!

Very laid back and overall a good experience for family or business travellers who want quiet!

Not recommended for anybody who like a nightcap at their hotel.

Room Tip: No lift get one on a low floor!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

just finished a three night stay at grey gull, have to say four of us were delighted with food,service,an amazing breakfast, and the hotel itself is spotless and lovely decor..its been transformed by new management who are very friendly and helpful.and what a view from the beer garden with a lovely pint.cant wait to return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Motherwell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

food here is excellent service from staff and management faultless rooms need updating again i say if you like good food get yourelf to this hotel if the local community tret threselfs to dinner here then you know its good food

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I have been here for lunch a few times and I can honestly say I found it to be friendly, clean, value for money, good quality and worht the drive. I can't comment on the room but a great atmosphere for sure. I will be back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardrishaig
Allt-Na-Craig
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Inveraray
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,337 reviews

Been to Grey Gull Inn? Share your experiences!