“Reasonably priced but doesn't make a great first impression.”
Review of Grey Gull Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ardrishaig
Grey Gull Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ardrishaig
Wetherby, United Kingdom
“Reasonably priced but doesn't make a great first impression.”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

There are positives and negatives with this hotel. First the positives:
In the height of summer, we paid £75 for a very nice double room (No.8) with a lovely view & hearty breakfast. This is very reasonable indeed for this expensive part of Scotland.

However, the bathroom of room 8 reminded me of one in a hospital or other institution. Clean but too clinical & after the lovely surprise of room 8 being rather charming (4 poster bed, good size) the bathroom was very much low budget.

We arrived on a grey rainy day and I found the 'welcome' a bit gruff and the shabby 'reception' area a bit off putting which added to a feeling of gloom having just arrived from gorgeous but much more expensive Tighnabruich.

It doesn't help that the hotel is located close to an ugly bus depot on one side and even uglier social housing type flats on the other. Yes, the view from the hotel is amazing, just don't look at the buildings on either side.

There is also an assumption that you will eat in the hotel restaurant. We neither booked evening meal nor gave the impression that we would eat in the restaurant especially as it seemed rather charmless & low on atmosphere so we chose to drive in search of a restaurant with more of a romantic atmosphere & found it in a beautiful (Stonefield?) Castle hotel restaurant about 20 minutes drive away.
Next day on checking out we were quizzed about where we had eated as the owner notied we hadn't eaten in the restaurant & received something of a rebuke She was rather rudely quite dismissive of our choice of restaurant, even though we had been delighted with the food & amazing panoramic views from the Castle. Yes it was a pricey meal but it seems the food at The Grey Gull is expensive too and the restaurant is certainly not a romantic setting.

There isn't a hotel bar as such but there is a narrow seating area partitioned off from the restaurant with dark brown chairs in a horseshoe arrangement & you can order drinks there. We gather it had been full whilst we were out with people (presumably locals?) watching a football match which would have been quite intrusive if we had been trying to enjoy a quiet meal.

Depends what you're looking for in a hotel. We found the hotel public areas just a bit shabby & lacking the amenities we're used to & there's not much in the rather grey & shabby town centre that we could find on a rainy evening. Had the room not been so charming with such a lovely view I would have written it off completely but again it was very reasonable for the area.

Room Tip: Room 8 is pretty, dark pink walls, wing back armchairs by the window overlooking the water, a fairly...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

In August 2013 I booked 2 rooms for two nights for my family at this hotel, I made the booking by telephone and was given a reasonable price (which I accepted) from the receptionist, I must add that I was also given a price for two rooms for two nights on the same dates from another hotel in Ardrishaig, although the prices from both hotels were similar, Grey gull Inn was slightly less expensive. So, my family had a great time over the weekend and quite enjoyed our stay in the Grey Gull, the food was nice enough and apart from the very ignorant man (Bruce, I think his name was) running the establishment, all was well, or so I thought. When it came to settle our bill on the Sunday, to our horror, we were told the price for both rooms for both nights had mysteriously doubled. When we arrived home my wife called the hotel to speak to the owner about the change in price, the owner said she did not arrange the booking so let my wife speak to the employee who took our booking. After a lengthy discussion we were told that there was some sort of mixup with the booking price, which I took to mean that the women had given me the wrong price and then proceeded to double it on our date of departure. We could have stayed in the other hotel for half the price and feel totally swindled at paying the amount we paid, what I thought was a good weekend turned into a very expensive weekend and the fact that the owner refused to honour the price they had previously given us on the telephone, I find totally disgusting and fraudulent even. I would suggest anyone booking a stay at this hotel to be on their guard and make sure the price they are given is the price they pay on departure. Myself and my family are originally from Ardrishaig/ Lochgilphead and never thought in a million years that we would return for the weekend and be treated like this, if we return again and need to book somewhere to stay, we will CERTAINLY NOT be staying at the Grey Gull Inn. I hope the owner is happy with himself and enjoyed spending my hard earned cash on something worthwhile.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Curtis34
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The web site are showing rooms that have been upgraded and look amazing, so we booked, and was promised an 'upgraded' room. On arrival we were put on the top floor in a room that was clearly in need of attention - old mattress, crack in the wall, damp patch in the ceiling, marks on carpet, paintwork in need of attention. The meal was really good, but Staff in the Restaurant are only as good as the Training they have been given ; our bottle of Wine came in as ordered but was just left casually on the table rogether with 2 Wine glasses. If you want it, you need to poor it yourself! There was a knife missing at my table setting, and also tea spoons togehter with Sugar and Cream with your Coffee - just sloppy work. It's all very casually done, but you want it to be right when it's costing you £70 for 2 - not cheap as we can easily get a 3 course meal in Glasgow for that price! We complained about the Room and got the meal for free....My point here is that this could be the best of all Hotels in Argyll with just a bit of attention to the rooms, and some proper Training of the Staff who are working there. This Hotel has after all got one of the best views ever!

Room Tip: Ask for the 'upgraded rooms' only.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lili_walden
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Booked this hotel from seeing the reviews on trip advisor the rooms looked very nice ,(they seemed to be updated ) on arrival the views where slightly blocked due to the fog but still stunning. We checked in and we're warmly greeted . Our room was outdated and tired and in need of a good overhaul .But room 8 has a fantastic view across the loch waking up to that after a long flight and journey was worth it .Food was very good we ate one evening and breakfast every morning which you could tell was cooked to order.

• Stayed September 2013
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The Grey Gull is just a little grey! It is in a stunning location but the bedrooms and main areas are very tired and dated. In saying that the bed was clean and spotless and breakfast was very nice. Just think for this day and age it needs a wee revamp!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Highland
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Clean room with great view over the loch. Staff in dining room (actually one girl)
was very friendly and helpful. Dinner and breakfast were excellent.
Hotel needs some upgrading. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Peebles, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I have stayed here a few time on business trips and have never been let down. It is always clean and the staff are very attentive. Lovely setting with the loch in front and the canal at the back - great for evening walks (when the midges let you!).

Food is always good with a decent a la carte menu and daily specials. No where else in the village looks remotely as good and there is limited choice in nearby Lochgilphead

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardrishaig
Allt-Na-Craig
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Inveraray
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,375 reviews

Been to Grey Gull Inn? Share your experiences!