“Hidden Treasure” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kilchrenan
Anstruther, United Kingdom
“Hidden Treasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

OMG after a slightly hairy drive along a single track road but with ample passing places, then an extra bit where only your car can have the road we came round the corner and it opens up to
amazing views of loch awe.
We were shown up to our room which had superb views out to the Loch and we just sat there and enjoyed a cup of tea.
We did go out for a wander round in between the showers, to find the gardens are kept in immaculate condition, down at the side of the loch there is a small jetty and there is a little boat tied up.
We realised that as you are away from anywhere that dinner in the hotel is a good idea and wow we were not disappointed with it, 5 courses with canapés beforehand whilst enjoying pre=dinner drinks
The bathroom in the room absolutely fab with a lovely big bath that just said fill me up and relax within which is exactly what I did, using the complimentary Molten Brown products.
There were one or two areas of damp but nothing could dampen this stay, so relaxing and peaceful.
We also enjoyed reading up on the history of the place. Breakfast very good and all freshly cooked to order.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Two nights in a Junior Suite at the Taychreggan, with beautiful weather, extremely comfortable surroundings and Dinner, which is an outstanding culinary experience. I could not begin to explain the delights of an evening meal, but you really must enjoy it yourself.
It is wonderful to have a break in a hotel and surroundings which leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed. The staff were extremely attentive at all times and were interested in the guests without being intrusive in any way.
The location is excellent for a break away from the hustle and bustle, but is still within easy driving distance of Oban. On a personal note, it was very pleasant to be away from the constant ringing/buzzing of mobile telephones.
All in all, a marvellous place to refresh yourself from the pace of normal life.

1 Thank Rabdal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

This hotel is fantastic!!! My boyfriend booked this for me as a birthday present and I had a great weekend. We stayed at the Taychreggan in Feb.

The weather was awful but this didn't detract from our stay. The rooms are beautiful, each one unique in its own way, we stayed in a junior suite - The Etive. It was gorgeous, Massive comfortable king size bed - might actually have been super king not sure! And the bathroom was the same size as the bedroom with an amazing roll-top bath, excellent power shower and lovely amenities...

The star of the show has to be the food though. My partner will eat just about anything and loves sea food where as I am not a fish fan. He emailed the hotel in advance to advise this and the chef actually made me my own individual menu!! It even had my name at the top..

I have stayed in 5* hotels all over the world and never experienced this sort of personal service. Not only did they do this but the food was unbelievable, totally unique and presentation second to none. It was suppose to be a 5 course but the chef made little surprises along the way so it actually turned into about a 9 course -all equally delicious! The canapés in the bar were to die for, again they made me individual ones which didn't contain sea food.

There were only us and 3 other couples staying at the hotel that weekend but regardless they pulled out all the stops. The only negative my partner had was that there was no draught beers available.

The surrounding area of the hotel Is lovely, as I said before we had really bad weather the weekend we were there so didn't venture out as much as we would have liked but I am sure It will be gorgeous in the summer months.

All in all, a fantastic hotel, very remote but very romantic. Loved every minute of it and will definitely be back, and also being a travel agent myself I will be recommending this hotel to everyone I meet!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jade2287
Oban
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I have just enjoyed a lovely break here, courtesy of a GroupOn deal. We live fairly locally to the hotel but fancied a night away as a treat. Our Junior Suite room was gorgeous. Although the weather was wet and wild, we enjoyed sitting at the window, having a drink, looking over the loch. Later we relaxed in the lounge, having a drink from the bar. The meal, which we ate in the bar as we were the only couple dining, was out of this world. So many delicious courses where we tried different tastes we wouldn't normally have experienced. By the end we were very well fed!! The bed was enormous and very comfortable. We slept well. Breakfast was great and then we reluctantly headed off again. There is Internet access downstairs and we had enough coverage on the window sill of our bedroom for text messages. The staff are superb. If you come here, enjoy the quiet, laid back atmosphere of this lovely Argyll hotel.

Room Tip: Loch view rooms are superb
1 Thank LaneyBOban
The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Travelled from Holland to celebrate my husbands birthday in Bonnie Scotland.

What a birthday start! It took 4 and a half hours to reach this hotel instead of 2 - an accident just outside Inveraray - major detour round Loch Lomond road with various traffic jams.
We arrived at 5pm frazzled and famished & informed Fiona other guests travelling this route may be late - a welcome refreshment at this point would have been appreciated?
Other hotels provide this facility ordinarily, but with the remoteness and circumstances a wee extra would be nice on arrival.

We were informed the BA captain guest speaker would commence at 6.30pm and drinks and canapés would be served there..........so we thought........we shall refrain from tea etc now and freshen - we had booked our 7 course dinner immediately after.

Oops big mistake - no canapés were served - apparently a problem in the kitchen - we were famished after the 1hr 15min talk...........off to the dining room.........run........don't forget we hadn't eaten due to circumstances for hours and my husbands birthday.

Dinner - we were given canapés, then our 7 course.......WOW. The food was amazing - chapeau!
Far exceeded our expectations. We all work or have worked in aviation for many years and experienced dining in some of the best restaurants worldwide - great chef!
Breakfast was equally high quality and presentation.

Unfortunately the menu was exactly the same on our 2nd night and the only other option was the bar apparently. A very bleak looking bar I'm afraid. No loch views, extremely low tables for dining - not particularly fitting such a hotel. The food was equally good and well presented however the overall ambiance was lacking.

Room - we had been informed there were no loch views available and paid the extra for a feature room. It was indeed large however tired and not particularly well set out. The tea/ coffee facilities were in the old style wardrobe and no plug point meant placing the kettle on the floor to use - our friends had similar! No plug points near a mirror proved rather a challenge using the hair dryer for myself. The seating area overlooked another room window so not particularly inviting.
The bathroom was brand new, spacious and well equipped and the bed extremely comfortable - we slept well.
However there was no - do not disturb sign - and I was rather surprised to return to a tuck down service having been done - nice but........I like to be prepared.
And to our surprise there were several loch view rooms empty.

The hotel is quite tired looking and the public areas need some extra TLC - bit bare. I feel the pool table area would make a wonderful bar and informal dining - great views there and next to the lounge etc as a flow route. Another guest was rather annoyed sitting in the bar at the other end of the hotel trying to get service - Nathalie was apparently doing the dishes.

I found the staff, particularly David, Nathalie and the chef excellent and very hard working - thank you.
The overall hotel experience I felt average and with a few extra details could be excellent. I was extremely disappointed my husbands birthday wasn't acknowledged once throughout our stay.

With certain adjustments and the same chef and staff I would love to return.
Ps the various Wellington boots for guest use was a lovely touch and practical.

Room Tip: Loch view room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

My partner and I stayed here on a whim after spotting a groupon deal that made it too good an offer to miss. We throughly enjoyed our stay and were made very welcome by Fiona and Nathalie. The food and recommended wines were just wonderful and as self proclaimed foodies we don't say that lightly.

This place is an eccentric little country hotel though and a few things that people who are more used to big city hotels should consider:

1. This is not a big hotel and there are only a few staff who multitask all of the roles that would normally be filled by a large army of staff. Don't expect everything to be served instantly. Go with the flow of the west, slow and steady.

2. It's an old country house. Therefore it isn't the modern city hotel many people are expecting. The junior suite we stayed in was just stunning. The decor matched the feeling of the house perfectly. However like all old houses hot water can take a little time to come through the pipes, run the tap for 5 minutes or so. Similarly some of the doors rattle and sound travels through the house so be considerate of others right to relax in peace before turning your music up to 11.

3. The food is amazing and they are very gracious to accomodate anything you need or want to avoid (not that we did). Dinner is at a set time however (7pm for canapés and 7:30 for dinner) and a set menu so as long as you don't expect to choose when and what you're eating then you're on to a good thing.

I really couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough for relaxing get aways. The walks nearby are fantastic for getting back to nature and by the end of your first night any of that uptight city awkward feeling will have dropped away and you'll feel right at home.

We'll be back Fiona and Nathalie and looking forward to it already!

Room Tip: All of the junior suites looked lovely. Ask for one with a view of the loch and you won't be dis...
2 Thank TravellingGGDr
glasgow , scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Well taychreggan delivered again ! We had another lovely stay . The drive to the hotel is beautiful . The rooms are modern and lovely views down the loch . The atmosphere in this hotel is lovely , it's peaceful but friendly and the staff are charming . Natalie and Fiona are great hosts . The food is outstandingly good , 6 courses of fab flavours and a great breakfast . The hotel is spotlessly clean and you just cannot beat it for a for a stay in a classy , friendly hotel in a breathtaking location with incredible food . We will be back soon !

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Saintdog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilchrenan
Ardanaiseig Hotel
The Brander Lodge Hotel & Bistro
Airds Hotel & Restaurant
Airds Hotel & Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Port Appin

Been to Taychreggan Hotel? Share your experiences!