“Avoid like the plague!”

and 1 more site!
The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kinlochleven
Reviewed 4 January 2014

After spending 4 nights self catering on the Isle of Skye, I was looking forward to having a two night hotel break to end my Scottish holiday. I was greeted with a shabby dated hotel. The manageress was nice. Very attentive but the hotel itself needs a total revamp. It's not a 3 star I'm afraid. The room was dirty, full of cobwebs and the shower was useless. Hot then cold or not at all! Room service non existent. Better more luxurious hotel in Glencoe for the same nightly rate. Won't be staying here again. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank Amanda W
Janneke L, Owner at The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

This comment has been left by the fiancee of Delwyn, who left a comment on January 3rd.
We have responded to those comments.

There are newer reviews for The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I don't know if this hotel is under new management or what, but it probably ranks as one of the worst hotels I've stayed in. The Hotel is tired and dated, and needs a bit of TLC. This could have been looked past and might have been seen as Character, had the rest of it been any good. The room we had was OK at first glance, with the exception of the hanging cobwebs and the plumbing for the shower going from scalding hot to freezing cold to turning off all on its own. The location is great for exploring the hills around Glencoe. This, I'm afraid, is the only positive. The maid service never happened. We left our wet towels on the bathroom floor; we were out all day walking on the West Highland Way, only to find the same wet towels on the floor when we got back in the evening. The quilt was in a heap on the bed where we had left it, and it was obvious that no one had been near the room in our absence. The food was terrible, both me and my fiancé left early the second morning avoiding breakfast and paying for one at the Green Welly because the previous mornings offering was so bad. The hotel has potential to be great, but sadly it currently isn't. The tariff is comparable to several other hotels in the area, that’s where the comparison ends. What we got for the money was probably worth less than half of the cost we were charged. I will certainly never stay there again, and could not recommend it to anyone else. There's a campsite up the road, you'd be better off there.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Delwyn69
Janneke L, Owner at The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Had you raised any of the issues with us at the time, we could have made our best efforts to correct them. The first inkling I had to your discontent was your trip advisor review.

You stayed with us on New Year's Eve. The next day when I did see you, I explained that the housekeeper did not clean your room because, according to her, someone appeared to be sleeping in the bed when she went in. She did not want to disturb you.

On the final morning, you came in to the dining room and had orange juice. I asked you if you wanted breakfast. You told me you didn't have time for breakfast. At no point did you tell me that you hadn't enjoyed the breakfast or that you were having trouble with the shower.

We pride ourselves in attending to our guests needs wherever possible. We regret not having the opportunity to address these issues while you were in the hotel

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Booked our stay via a wow her deal for 1 night with breakfast and an ice factor experience! Had an amazing weekend and a really warm,friendly reception when we arrived! Hotel has a stunning location and was pretty reluctant to leave on the Sunday!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Sopher85
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

We have just stayed in 1 of the cabins for 2 nights one of them being the stormiest night in the last decade!! We have enjoyed 2 extremely cosy and comfortable nights here!! The hosts made us feel very welcome and were accomodating with our dog!! We enjoyed 2 nights in the bar with great food and beers!! Thanks for having us
Matt and Andy

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I spent 4 days here in November on my own and felt very welcome indeed. The staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable, and above all were very friendly. The place itself is well located at the head of the loch with great views looking along it to mountains on either side. I ate here every morning and night and felt no desire to go and try anywhere else in town. Would definitely come again.

Room Tip: the bothies offer unrivalled value for money if you are looking for cheap private accommodation.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Janneke L, Owner at The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thanks for your comments. It was our pleasure.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Very friendly staff excellent facilities the breackfast is exactly what you need before you set off again not a bad word to say against this place would highly reccomend staying in this fine establishment

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thanks very much for your kind words!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Excellent venue to visit the local area, Bar food is good and well stocked bar
Biker friendly and some great roads nearby .
Sleeping bags can rented cheap which is handy saves carrying them with you
Camping and rooms available also

Room Tip: The cabins are a little small for 4 large adults best to rent 2
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinlochleven
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
Forest View Guest House
Forest View Guest House
#2 of 10 in Kinlochleven
Glen Nevis Caravan and Camping Park

Been to The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins? Share your experiences!