“Great B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lochgilphead
Kilmory Guest House
Ranked #3 of 7 Lochgilphead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This was our last B&B in our tour of Scotland and we got in a little late, straight off the ferry from Islay. Since my brother had stayed at this B&B 8 years ago, we decided to give it another try and we are glad we did. We booked 3 rooms, 2 with en-suite bathroom and one with the bathroom on the same floor. The beds were comfortable and the rooms very clean. The best was the breakfast cooked by Rob. This was the end of our trip and we had the best full Scottish breakfast of the whole trip. Considering the low cost of the B&B I would also say it was the best value for money. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Rob's hospitality and food made up for the quirky building with weird noises in the bathroom. Odd that it's a 200 year old building but tv gets 160 channels. Room was comfortable and medium sized. Not all rooms are en suite. Rob did have great information about the area.

Room Tip: If you want en suite be sure to ask for it. Several rooms are not but I'm sure they are priced...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Friendly and welcoming with a delicious Scottish breakfast what more could we want? Well we not only had comfortable rooms with tea/coffee making facilities but we had a wealth of information given to us from our host Rob about the West Coast. Hiring bikes in Lochgilphead we cycled the Crinan Canal, visited the Medieval monastery and Castle at Saddle, explored the beautiful, wild beaches seeing sea-lions, sharks, and had views of deer as we sat picnicking off the Mull of Kintyre. My daughter had the privilege to stay with Rob and Babs for longer on a 6 week placement; they are kind, generous, and genuine people who made her stay a great experience! Well worth the visit and very reasonably priced- you couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tracey M
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This was the 2nd b&b on my 7 day tour around Western Scotland staying wherever I found myself each evening. Rob met me while I was still in the car park and when I asked for a single room for the night, he took me upstairs to a double room with a bathroom directly across from it.
The bedroom was large and light with a dormer type window overlooking the side of the house and towards the Tesco Express and Esso petrol station ! Both handy if you have need of petrol and/or food.

It was a steep climb up to that top floor and I'm 60 and pretty unfit so with my bags, it was a bit of an effort. After dumping my stuff, I walked the short distance into Lochgilphead to find somewhere to eat and thanks to the cold and very unfriendly reception I got at The Argyll bar, I left there and got a Chinese takeaway from The Edo and ate it back in my room.

The bed was functional without being very comfortable but I was tired so would've slept on a bench and it was very quiet despite being on the main road. The bathroom was large with a fairly unique toilet seat and lid with a fish motif. The shower was large and of the walk in type with a plastic panel protecting the front portion. This gave it a a nice open effect, perfect for us larger bodies !

Next morning I had more of a chat with Rob as there weren't many other guests and he was chatty, warm and friendly.....despite being a Villa fan ;-)

Breakfast was excellent although after the full one at the previous morning's b&b, I just had bacon and scrambled eggs with the toast. It was very well cooked and delicious.

All in all I'm rating this as a wonderful b&b and for £25, it was a bargain. I'd certainly recommend it and would return to it myself if in the area again.

Room Tip: Would've been nice to have had ensuite but some rooms might have that. Top floor takes some gett...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Robert B, Owner at Kilmory Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thank you for your most helpful review, it certainly was a pleasure meeting you and if you are ever in our area again then don't hesitate to call us.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Have stayed at Kilmory on many occasions on our way to Islay. We love this guest house, it always marks the start of our holiday. The rooms are clean, comfy and well equiped. Rob and Barb are excellent hosts, breakfast is amazing, and the banter between Rob and my husband is always flowing due to them supporting rival football teams! Would not stay anywhere else on our trip to Scotland! Excellent!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 23 May 2013

booked a room here after reading the positive reviews but we ended up leaving without staying the night. Firstly, the owners were pleasant and friendly but our rooms left a lot to be desired in terms of cleanliness. At first glance the rooms seemed clean enough but on closer inspection (not easy with the energy saving lights!) it was as if the rooms had had a quick clean of main areas but absolutely nothing more. The mirrors were dusty, marked and just generally unclean, please note this was simply from previous occupant but rather a build up over time. Nothing that a good bit of elbow greses couldn't fix though. The area around the toilet also left something to be desired, mould in one bathroom (and accompanying smell) and corners and skirtings in both bathrooms needed a good scrub. However, the toilet brushes in each room need to be replaced, yuck! I offer this review in a constructive way. The Guest House is not expensive but I do think visitors deserve a reasonable standard of cleanliness.
There isn't a great deal of choice in Lochgilphead so with a bit of effort maybe Kilmory could return to its former glory

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Karpy123
Reviewed 27 April 2013

stayed here a couple of nights whilst working in the area was really made to feel welcome nice fresh decor nice clean and fresh room and a hearty breakfast to start my day and was well worth the money.excellent value.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank campbell_12
Robert B, Owner at Kilmory Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Thank you for your kind words, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.