“An excellent small hotel in beautiful area.”
Review of Lochgair Hotel

and 1 more site!
Lochgair Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lochgilphead
Reviewed 18 June 2013

On arrival, the exterior looks in need of attention, and I guess that the owners cannot do everything at once, and are concentrating on upgrading the interior. The property is of a traditional hotel/Inn style.My bedroom was very good, with en-suite bath, as requested, and very well equipped, and much better equipped than many more expensive places that I have stayed.There were a couple of disadvantages, in that no room/hotel information was provided, with simple instructions how to work the TV and digital box etc, and I could not get the hotel Wi-fi to connect to the internet either on my smart phone or laptop. BT Open-zone was available, and I got this to connect to the internet OK. Another possible problem would be that as the room was on the main road, if you needed to open the window on a warm night, there would be noise from the road. I had an evening meal, and this was of good quality, home made, and very reasonably priced. There was a reasonable selection on the menu. The bar had a good range of malt whiskies which were reasonably priced. Breakfast also offered a good choice, and service was prompt. The disadvantages with breakfast were poor quality bread, instant coffee only, and only one item of fresh fruit, which was a banana which had certainly seen better days. The hotel is just two minutes walk from a beautiful loch side setting, which is well worth a visit. Overall an excellent and well priced place to stay.

Room Tip: If road noise might be a problem in summer, ask for a rear room - I did not try a rear room, but the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank M G

Reviewed 18 May 2013

I got quite a large room which was nicely furnished and a great breakfast, its an ideal spot to drive from, to see Oban and catch the ferry to the islands.

The owner was very pleasant and I would definitely come back, only a short stroll to the loch too.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I stayed at the Lochgair on two occasions in December 2012 and January 2013 when I was working in Lochgilphead about 6 miles away.

I ate most nights in the bar and the menu choice was very good - I would particularly recommend the steak!!

Breakfast was excellent! Initially a "help yourself" buffet with everything one could possibly wish for followed - in my case - by a huge cooked breakfast. First Class!

The staff and the Owner were always available and were friendly and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble.

The room was warm and cosy although the decor was a little dated. All the necessary facilities were there along with plenty of hot water. The slight downside was that the floors creaked and the walls were very thin so I was very aware of my next door neighbour - not that it stopped me from sleeping really well!!

I hope that it is not too long until I get another project in Lochgilphead and I will certainly reurn to the Lochgair.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lochaber3
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our Lands End to John O'Groat bike ride. The staff were very friendly and helpful providing us with inside storage for our bikes.
Room was clean and warm but dated along with the rest of the hotels decor but it is very good value compared to other places we stayed. Breakfast was good especially the cooked food.
For dinner we ate in the bar, food was fine and good value

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We stayed here overnight in September when the weather was becoming cooler and were very cosy in our room. We arrived fairly late in the day and were shown to our room quickly by helpful staff. Our room was very clean and and bathroom was well equipped with plenty of hot water. Enjoyed a nice meal and drink which we found to be good value for money and the bar had a nice, relaxed atmosphere. Didnt find the road noise as previously reported a problem and slept well. Breakfast was a relaxed affair with a variety of cereal, fruit, yoghurt and as much tea and toast as we wanted. We also had a full scottish - delicious, although I quite fancied the kippers. Good varied menu overall. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it for price, food and cleanliness.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rhona c
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We chose this hotel because it is very close to friends we were visiting on our way further north. We had some misgivings in view of earlier reviews but chose it because of its location. We were in fact pleasantly surprised. The owner was pleasant and helpful when we booked, offering to provide a meal for us on arrival despite our anticipated arrival time being after the restaurant closed. The room was basic but very clean and warm with good tea and coffee making facilities fluffy white towels and crisp white sheets. It was a Sat night so traffic flow may have been less than normal, but the secondary glazing seemed effective at reducing noise in our room overlooking the road. Yes, the decor is a bit faded and some updating is required but the place has a bit of character. The bed was the most comfortable we enjoyed on our 3 night trip and the Scottish breakfast was the best of our mini tour, served, freshly made on a very hot plate with unlimited tea, coffe and toast available. It isn't luxury but we didn't expect luxury at this price level. This was the cheapest of the 3 hotels we stayed in on our trip and compared very favourably in most respects.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I have nothing particularly good to say and nothing that bad to say either although I did not think it was worth what we paid. breakfast and dinner were fine, staff were friendly and the room itself was nice. however it's on a main road with no double glazing to keep out sound and the walls are so thin we could hear the people in the room next to us having a conversation

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nicola L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lochgilphead
Cairnbaan Hotel
#4 of 7 in Lochgilphead
The Corran
The Corran
#5 of 7 in Lochgilphead

Been to Lochgair Hotel? Share your experiences!