“Good value, friendly service”
Review of Lochgair Hotel

Lochgair Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lochgilphead
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here overnight on 21 August, in the bunk-bedded room. Very comfy and the breakfast was excellent. The owner seemed to be running the place on his own, but he was doing a great job and was very friendly and helpful. Yes the place needs updating but I would still recommend it as an excellent place for an overnight stop.

Room Tip: Depends what you want really, but we were happy with the basic bunk room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our way to see the Knapdale beavers. Be aware that the hotel is in Lochgair and not Lochgilphead as we had originally thought. The owner was very helpful and we were able to come back late from (not) seeing the beavers. The room was comfortable and spacious (though it's a long time since I've slept in bunk beds!) with a private bathroom across the hall. The hotel is on a main road but was quiet and it's very good value if you're visiting places in the vicinity.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank HeatherL018
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed two nights lovely hotel needs some attention but I,m sure the owner will get around to it eventually.Staff very nice very attentive meals in restaurant fab.Great breakfast.Met some lovely and interesting people had a lovely time would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 186525Linda
Reviewed 18 June 2013

On arrival, the exterior looks in need of attention, and I guess that the owners cannot do everything at once, and are concentrating on upgrading the interior. The property is of a traditional hotel/Inn style.My bedroom was very good, with en-suite bath, as requested, and very well equipped, and much better equipped than many more expensive places that I have stayed.There were a couple of disadvantages, in that no room/hotel information was provided, with simple instructions how to work the TV and digital box etc, and I could not get the hotel Wi-fi to connect to the internet either on my smart phone or laptop. BT Open-zone was available, and I got this to connect to the internet OK. Another possible problem would be that as the room was on the main road, if you needed to open the window on a warm night, there would be noise from the road. I had an evening meal, and this was of good quality, home made, and very reasonably priced. There was a reasonable selection on the menu. The bar had a good range of malt whiskies which were reasonably priced. Breakfast also offered a good choice, and service was prompt. The disadvantages with breakfast were poor quality bread, instant coffee only, and only one item of fresh fruit, which was a banana which had certainly seen better days. The hotel is just two minutes walk from a beautiful loch side setting, which is well worth a visit. Overall an excellent and well priced place to stay.

Room Tip: If road noise might be a problem in summer, ask for a rear room - I did not try a rear room, but the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank M G
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I got quite a large room which was nicely furnished and a great breakfast, its an ideal spot to drive from, to see Oban and catch the ferry to the islands.

The owner was very pleasant and I would definitely come back, only a short stroll to the loch too.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I stayed at the Lochgair on two occasions in December 2012 and January 2013 when I was working in Lochgilphead about 6 miles away.

I ate most nights in the bar and the menu choice was very good - I would particularly recommend the steak!!

Breakfast was excellent! Initially a "help yourself" buffet with everything one could possibly wish for followed - in my case - by a huge cooked breakfast. First Class!

The staff and the Owner were always available and were friendly and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble.

The room was warm and cosy although the decor was a little dated. All the necessary facilities were there along with plenty of hot water. The slight downside was that the floors creaked and the walls were very thin so I was very aware of my next door neighbour - not that it stopped me from sleeping really well!!

I hope that it is not too long until I get another project in Lochgilphead and I will certainly reurn to the Lochgair.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lochaber3
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our Lands End to John O'Groat bike ride. The staff were very friendly and helpful providing us with inside storage for our bikes.
Room was clean and warm but dated along with the rest of the hotels decor but it is very good value compared to other places we stayed. Breakfast was good especially the cooked food.
For dinner we ate in the bar, food was fine and good value

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lochgilphead
Cairnbaan Hotel
#1 of 7 in Lochgilphead
Horseshoe Inn
Horseshoe Inn
#4 of 7 in Lochgilphead

Been to Lochgair Hotel? Share your experiences!