“Quirky but great”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lochwinnoch
“Quirky but great”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We had been for a walk along the Crinan canal and had worked up an appetite. We had wanted t Try the Crinan hotel for some time so took our chance when we had it. The restaurant, at first sight, looked a wee bit dowdy. But it was clean enough and smelled of very good food so we stuck to our guns and sat down. A good number of the seats looked like converted church pews but were very much more comfortable. My wife had a seafood stew in a cream sauce. She loved it. I had razor clams with salad leaves. Again, great. The atmosphere in the restaurant was very relaxed. No one rushed us to finish and they were fairly relaxed about the bill. During our meal I watched a fishing boat being unloaded and one of the seamen brought a case of razor clams into the hotel for the kitchen. I guess you can't get much fresher than that. The toilets were spotless with plenty of hot water and a choice of hand towel or drier. I will definitely be back here at the next available opportunity!

• Visited March 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Time travelling in the right direction.”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Just go and experience this yourself. You will not be disappointed with anything, except maybe that everything is old but that's the point. The whole area and the hotel is trapped in time and it's great. It's a true life Brigadoon. Not that I'm suggesting that Brigadoon isn't real. But this is.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Gordon B
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“wonderful”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Having had a meal in the Seafood Bar on Monday night, we decided to eat in the more formal Westward on Wednesday and what a treat it was!! We had a round table at the back of the restaurant and although we ended up by ourselves, it was just fabulous. There were 4 choices of starters; I had the scallop brochettes and my husband had the smoked salmon. Both were lovely. The soup was a shellfish veloute and was super. There were again 4 choices for the main course and I had halibut and my husband had lamb; again both wonderful. For dessert I had peach sabayon and my husband had cheese and we both thoroughly enjoyed them. The service was very good without being overwhelming, as it might have been considering we were on our own. The whole experience was just wonderful!

• Visited October 2012
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“By yourself no problem”
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Sometimes, being by oneself is awkward, not here, made to feel welcome, the service was brilliant, the food (scallops) fantastic. Despite weather, the view and the spectacle of watching boats negotiating the locks are well worth a visit. Highly recommended.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Susan M
Sussex
“Fish, chips and a view”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Cosy bar with excellent fish and chips andview of the comings and going at the entrance to the Crinan canal.

Visited June 2012