“Nice setting, great food”

The Royal an Lochan Restaurant
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice setting, great food”
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a lovely meal here last night. We hadn't booked but received a warm welcome on arrival, we were shown to a nice lounge area to enjoy a drink while choosing from the menu.

We had a table in the restaurant looking out over the loch and my scallops and langoustines were fresh, tasty and well presented.

It's not cheap but the food is high quality and the setting is excellent.

TheRoyalanLochan, Owner at The Royal an Lochan Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We do pride ourselves in sourcing good quality, fresh produce, however, unfortunately that does not always come as cheap as others expect, but I think the taste of our food, the way you were greeted and the views make it all worth while.
From myself and all the staff we hope you had a lovely stay in the area and maybe look forward to seeing you as a guest here in the hotel one day. Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
“Found a place for seafood but...”
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We had just finished a wonderful fishing trip on the Norah ( see DC Marine) and wanted some well cooked seafood.

Found this place on the village and went into the shinty bar.

I ordered the langoustine and my wife the scallops. Kids had burgers and gouging of chicken. The burgers looked good. The chicken portion was small and we were disappointed with the seafood. The langoustines wee just on a plate on top of lettuce. No veg or side dishes. Whilst cooked well I would have expected more for my 19 pounds.

We had sweets and the sticky toffee puss looked like Heinz and the choc fudge cake had to have been the smallest I had ever seen. At over 100 pounds for a pub meal with only two glasses of wine I won't be rushing back.

TheRoyalanLochan, Owner at The Royal an Lochan Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
I am sorry you did not feel you got value for money eating in our bar. Our menus in both the restaurant and bar describe the langoustines to be simply poached in their shells in white wine and lemon juice and this is how most seafood restaurants will serve them, all the local eateries are competitive on pricing their dishes so no doubt you would have had the same size portions for your money else where. Side dishes are available upon request. As for the puddings, as with all our dishes I can assure you we make these ourselves and are not from any pre-prepared supplier.
Just a note for those wishing to go out with DC for a fishing or boat trip, do not search for Norah the boats name is Morag! Christine
London, United Kingdom
“Rude and Charmless service”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

“You’re not just a number, you’re a person” is the slogan of this hotel, which on this evidence they might like to express the other way round.

Let us start with their alleged dinner service. Remember the ‘Waldorf salad’ episode of Fawlty Towers, where the American guest reacts with outrage to being told after a five-hour drive that dinner stops at nine? “Is the war still on?” he splutters.

Well, this place, in the year 2014, ceases serving at eight. EIGHT. Seriously, there are tea-rooms that would gladly rustle up a meal later than that. The inevitable result, of course, was that from 7.30pm everybody sent through orders to a kitchen that seemed ill-equipped to deal with more than two tickets at once.

So it transpired that we were told our two portions of haddock and chips – the standard of which was far eclipsed by the fare we had enjoyed from an Inverary chippy two nights earlier, for half the price – would take some time, because they were so generously “slotting in” our order in between the flurry of requests from the restaurant. Where, naturally, there was not a soul to be found.

Let it be said that this hotel possessed a lovely large room, with a beautiful view of the loch. But such assets seem to be exploited as an excuse for shoddy service. For an illustration, we needed look no further than the piece de resistance, the following morning’s breakfast.

At 9.30am, we asked, perfectly nicely, if it would be possible to take the empty table by the window. The charming Czech waitress said she would have to ask her boss. At which the simple mechanical act of changing a tablecloth became the cue for brusqueness and outright rudeness.

“We have exactly the right number of tables set for the number of guests staying,” he replied, coldly, before absurdly demanding that on a gorgeous late summer’s morning we should eat our breakfast in a dark ante-room next to the kitchen. We stay in hotels all over the world on business, and this must be the first time that we have been treated less as guests – paying £125 a night, I might add – than as a bothersome imposition.

When I dared to take up the issue at check-out the owner, who had been heard in full ear-shot of his customers berating the blameless waitress for swapping tablecloths for us, accused us of being “disrespectful” in our request.

Disrespectful? For inquiring politely if a tablecloth could be changed so that we could sit by the window and enjoy the sunshine? In the time it took the man to make a scene he could have changed it three times over. Why even bother opening a hotel, if you lack the basic reception manner to fulfil the most perfectly reasonable request? Avoid.

5 Thank 350JCM
I have chosen to take my time in responding to your review. I wish I had the time to go into each detail of everything you have mentioned and explain to the rest of our readers that it was not really so. The only thing I will apologise for is the time taken to get your bar food to you, we were under staffed and the bar did suffer, although, you were given the same quality fish and chips that most of our reviewers have loved. Being short staffed was not helped by yourself taking up my time saying your room key did not work and when I took you to your room and opened the door for you, you laughed and said "oh its the other key", surely if one key doesn't work you try the other? Maybe with hindsight I should not have taken your last minute booking that morning, but I did and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and that had to say so on Tripadvisor, but I am actually quite glad you will not be returning. Christine
goole
“Stunning location ”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

we visited the royal on friday evening with myself and a group of friends who visit tighnabruaich every year.
Having not eaten in the royal for a couple of years we booked in and were kindly greeted by the staff.
Upon arrival we were sat in a cosy lounge area and left to settle before quickly being served our drinks.

rather than drag out a long winded review here are both sides of the meal.

Good: after meeting both chris and rachael prior to the meal we knew it would be a friendly affair and were not dissapointed. the rest of the staff were helpful and the speed of service was just right for a meal of this kind.

We were not the easiest customers to deal with so thankyou for your patience.

The meals came well presented and were pleasing on the eye while still tasting good.

The restaurant frontage is superb. it is hard to find fault with such a stunning view. We return to the village several times each year and it never gets old.

Bad: although the starters were beautiful the langoustines in particular seemed a tad over priced being in the region of £10 for 3 small langoustines. We often source our own from the local fisherman and these prove great value for money with some real monsters thrown in. By the time the langoustines were shelled it was the size equivalent of eating 3 boiled king prawns.

The mussels although delicious did have a few pearl like deposits which cannot be helped sometimes especially with filter feeding seafood. We did not bring this up however as it still tasted fine. I am sure it would have been quickly dealt with had we raised the issue.

The ice cream selection proved difficult to determine which flavours we would receive as we were told it would be completely random. Also with much of the menu having such bold flavours it would be nice to offer a complimentary sorbet for those planning on eating 3 courses.

Other than the small bits raised the meal was thoroughly enjoyable. credit to the staff and I hope the current owners and staff make the royal the place to eat in argyll once again. Thankyou.

1 Thank foodforager1
TheRoyalanLochan, Owner at The Royal an Lochan Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Gosh we had some real foodies in your group. Can I just mention we still don't have any Cranberry Sauce, sorry! (private joke) We take on board your comments about the langoustine although you will find they are competitively priced with all the local restaurants and yes we do get some monster langoustine but we also get mediocre ones. With regard to the mussels, they seem to go through phases when they produce these pearls and we can not tell until they are eaten, however if we know we try to warn customers what they might experience.
Your suggestion of the sorbet palette cleanser is a good idea and something we shall discuss with chef. That just leaves me to say, thank you for your honest review and for dinning with us, we hope to see you again next year. Christine
ayrshire scotland
“Overnight stay”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Booked a surprise birthday night away at this hotel as my wife's family originated from Kames. The drive round was as usual spectacular as the weather was good. We had upgraded to a loch facing room and was given the to of the house. Spectacular views, as we were sitting enjoying the view the paddle steamer Waverley passed by. We can remember when Loch Fyne was full of ships.
The room was nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. The water pressure on the shower was pretty low but I suppose when you are at the top that will happen.
The meal at night was nice and well presented but was extremely minute and not value for money. We had a thirty pound allowance for dinner but could only use it in the restaurant and not in the shinty bar.
The breakfast however was lovely and fresh.
Would return but would miss dinner.
Thankyou

Visited July 2014
1 Thank cab23
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Unfortunately, old buildings like this were never designed to have showers let alone give us the water pressure we expect in the modern day. We are going through a process of replacing some of the gravity fed showers for electric ones but this takes time and is more complicated than it looks, but we are getting there. With regard to your restaurant meal, when purchasing your voucher it clearly stated that the allowance is for the Restaurant and not the Bar, and we have sample menus for both on our website. The meals themselves are designed, like in most good food restaurants, so that if you have all three courses you will leave the table content, not so full you cant move and not so empty you need a sandwich after. Sometimes people will only wish to have a main course and possibly this doesn't satisfy them. We are sorry you felt this way about our food, however you will see the majority of people leave quite content. Thank you once again. Christine