We stayed for just one night on 31/3/12 stay at the Royal. Wish it could have been for longer. Hope to do it again sometime.
We had a lovely bright & spacious sea facing room on the first floor, lovely food and lovely weather for our visit.
We arrived just before 4pm and promptly ordered some drinks from the bar. We were served by Keith the owner, who was busy setting up the fire in the bar with logs and kindling. He was very pleasant to us, and did not come across at all like the person some people have described in previous reviews. That might say more about the reviewers though, lol.
We took our drinks to the beer garden at the front of the hotel. When this area went in to shade it was still sunny across the road at the shoreline, so we took our drinks over to the slipway and skimmed stones with not a care in the world.
We had pre-dinner drinks in a really nice area with leather settees looking out across the water and got to meet Keith's wife Christine. She is a lovely open and honest person and really looks after her customers. I do hope the plants have benefited from our discussion Christine!
Dinner was served in the modern Deck Restaurant. My husband didn't like what he had ordered for his main course (his fault, not the Hotel's) and Christine changed it without any qualms. I had langoustines followed by duck, then the cheeseboard - all delicious, but I did think the cheeseboard portion was a bit miserable. Hubbie had tempura squid, sorry can't remember his second choice main and some fab dessert, and he was very happy with this.
Breakfast next morning was served in a different sea facing & bright room, with gleaming cutlery & white starched tablecloths. We had the works and did not need to eat again until the evening. My husband adored the spiced apricots. If you read this Christine - what's the recipe?
I just keep wanting to call everything here lovely. I think I may have used that word too often in this review, but it's true. Our wee night away was just what we needed to recharge the batteries. Two nights would have been even better!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As you arrive the magical waterside setting will take your breath away. If you enjoy supremely fresh seafood, comfortable rooms with stunning views, great individual hospitality and an area with fabulous seascapes with an island feel your stay at The Royal an Lochan will leave nothing to be desired. We are however only 90 mins from Glasgow and on a scenic peninsula. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your The Royal an Lochan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal An Lochan Hotel Tighnabruaich
- An Lochan Tighnabruaich
- An Lochan Hotel Tighnabruaich
- The Royal An Lochan Tighnabruaich, Scotland