“Little bit of bliss not far from home!”

and 1 more site!
The Royal an Lochan
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tighnabruaich
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We have stayed at Royal An Lochan 4-5 times. Including once with our dog and once with very experienced traveller friends from London. We travel extensively in Scotland and abroad and I can honestly say it is one of my favourite hotels and locations.
The hotel is very comfortable, like staying at a generous friend's house. The owners and staff are high profile, helpful and polite. The rooms are clean, warm and views to die for no matter what the weather. The lunches and dinner are fantastic standard and you are within walking distance of lots of other places to eat. I'm not sure what axe to grind the "Honeymoon" reviewers had but I could not disagree more with their awful review. We'll be back - soon I hope.

Room Tip: Really worth having sea view
2  Thank Elaine246
TheRoyalanLochan, Owner at The Royal an Lochan, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

We like to think we are a home from home or as you write in your review "a generous friend's house", we try to make each guest feel at home in the hotel. It is nice to hear we are one of your favourite hotels and in one of your favourite locations. Tighnabruaich is a truly beautiful village on a forgotten shore line. We like to make the most of the local seafood available to us, along with produce from a well known butcher on Bute, just across the water. We are glad to hear you like staying with us time and time again and we look forward to your next stay. Thank you for a lovely review. Christine

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We have stayed here three times and eaten in the restaurant more often than that when in the area. Although only two hours from Glasgow this is a wonderful hidden gem tucked away from the main tourist routes. With a great view of the Kyles of Bute and a short stroll from the centre of the attractive little village of Tighnabruaich this is an ideal location for a break from the rat race. The hotel itself is full of character but has been tastefully modernised with attractive furniture and decor which puts the visitor at ease. The bedrooms also exude character and are clean and comfortable.
The glass fronted conservatory style restaurant enjoys great views and the food, especially the seafood, is excellent and locally sourced and it has a great wine list. The restaurant staff are all friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Front rooms are worth the extra cost.
1  Thank James T

An escape from the rat race is definitely how I would describe our hotel, a place to chill out with beautiful surroundings, friendly staff, oh and owners!! and excellent food. Thank you for a lovely review and no doubt we shall see you again in 2014. Kind regards, Christine

Reviewed 31 January 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Royal an Lochan at least five times in the past three years.We have been in front, side and rear rooms and enjoyed meals in the dining room, breakfast room, bar and outside. Every stay has been really enjoyable from the warm welcome when we arrive to choosing a delicious meal and wine in the evenings while relaxing in the very comfortable and spotlessly clean lounges and finally to retiring for a nights sleep in the perfectly appointed bedrooms with lots of nice touches to cover most requirements. Cant wait for our next visit!

Room Tip: Worth having front facing room for the spectacular view
1  Thank wynhill

Thank you for a particularly lovely review. As with all our returning guests we love to see you again and to show off our latest menu's put together with as many local ingredients as possible by our excellent Head Chef. I remember a comment made by yourself last time you stayed, you said that you had watched us improving from your first stay and that the meal you had had was the best. We are all looking forward to your next stay with us. Christine

Reviewed 31 January 2014

After having enjoyed an excellent dinner here 2 years ago, we returned as a group of 10 for a 3 night stay in the autumn of 2013.
Food 1st class - just the best fresh fish and sea food you could wish for. Stay on the half board rate as we did and you will not be disappointed. Excellent selection of wines on offer at very fair prices.
We stayed in the superior rooms with Loch views. Even though they also face the road outside the hotel, we heard no noise and slept very well on good beds. I find the lounge area very atmospheric - we enjoyed an pre-dinner drink sitting on comfy leather couches.
This is not like London or any other major city for that reason. You come here to get away from the hustle and bustle and noise. Time has stood still here for a while and that´s exactly what many people find attractive. A place to reflect and unwind. You will not find a squeaky clean, modern, soulless hotel as in major cities on the West coast of Scotland.
This place has character and we all loved it. We shall return.

Room Tip: loch facing - wake up to a very special view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Scotgreek

Thank you so much for your lovely review, I can not say any more apart from thank you and I know you are trying to sort out some dates for this year with another group from Germany. As always we will look forward to welcoming you back. Christine

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

July 2013 my husband to be was greeted by a voucher from his generous friends at work for a two night stay the nights following our wedding. We set off the day after our wedding excited and looking forward to a break in a beautiful part of Scotland, advised by our friends that they had pre called the hotel and advised of the occasion surrounding our visit and our room would be ready for our mini honeymoon.

We arrived to a flaky building which wasn't great but thought maybe just the outside needs fixed up. Entered the reception area and was greeted by the receptionist who was very nice who showed us around the hotel which was very dated and to be honest smelled very much like a geriatric ward at the hospital (all signs to about turn and leave, but no the room will be fine I thought) up stairs we go to our room, the room was no better very old fashioned, dirty carpet, inch gap between the floor and the skirting from which a spider crawled out of, springs poking out from the bed, distressed furniture (I doubt that was deliberate), turn to my husband and say I'm sorry I can't stay here it is filthy, it smells and I'd rather the two hour trip back home.

My husband not wanting to offend the owners book us a table for dinner so we can decide what to do, whilst waiting we wait in the lounge where we have to sit with our hands over our drinks to prevent several blue bottles from going into our glasses whilst we perch on the filthiest sofas I've ever had the miss pleasure of sitting on. Time for dinner, very tasty but very small portions for the cost which we ate to the sound of a senior member of staff screaming at another member of staff.. From this we decide to make polite excuses and leave as we don't want the aggression they have showed towards each other throughout the meal aimed at us, and leave.

After the fact we check trip advisor and still great comments?! I can only assume no one has stayed in the outdated room we were in?! Not very honeymoon appropriate, very disappointing, if we had at least found the staff more approachable we would have asked for a different room but as they were involved in a screaming match during dinner we decided against it. Shame as it's setting was gorgeous.

• Stayed: July 2013
7  Thank Mac090713
TheRoyalanLochan, Owner at The Royal an Lochan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

I am not really sure how to respond to this review which has been removed once and due to a technicality cannot be removed again.
All our past guests know that we do not behave in the way you have suggested; in fact we go out of our way to make sure our guests feel comfortable and enjoy their stay. We have nearly lost one booking since this was posted because of the lies that have been written.
To make this short I shall reply in bullet point form to the major issues.
- We were not told about your Honeymoon, had we been told we would have tried to accommodate you in the 4 poster bedroom, as we do with all our honeymooners.
-Yes, I do admit to some flaking paint, but the height of the summer is not the time to carry out these types of maintenance.
-The receptionist, who was in fact one of our Managers was the same person who, took you to your room, served your meal in the restaurant and checked you out of the hotel, how could you not speak to this "very nice" Manager to discuss your issues. Instead you tell us that you have a honeymoon opportunity with a flight early in the morning that you cannot miss and need to check out.
- Never has anyone suggested our hotel smells like a geriatric ward at a hospital and if they genuinely thought that I personally would be mortified.
- Yes we do have some old fashioned furniture which is in character with this Victorian building. The bed in this room is a traditional sprung bed with a mattress on top of the springs, none are poking out.
- Yes I have to admit, just like most old buildings we have a few wonky walls, floor boards and gaps in the skirting, which all add character to the hotel. I do apologise that you were confronted by a spider, they do like old buildings.
- With regard to the blue bottles, no other guests complained of this and the restaurant and lounge was very busy that night.
- Our sofas are not filthy and never have been. They are well looked after black leather sofas that are cleaned regularly.
- Under no circumstances would any member of staff raise their voice to another in ear shot of guests, maybe you were listening to the buzz from the locals in the Shinty Bar. At this point I would like to mention your husbands use of his mobile phone in the restaurant during your meal, disturbing other guests around you.
- Lastly I would like to mention the tip you left upon departure, is this not something that is normally given by people who have enjoyed their experience.

All I can say to anyone that is concerned about this review, (which has taken 6 months to post!) please read our other reviews around the same time, before and since and we leave the conclusion to you.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Been a number of times to this very special Hotel run by a very special couple - always concerned that it might not be quite as good as the 'last time' and ALWAYS reassured at the end of each stay. On this occasion we stayed over New Year and what a stay it was! Food - incredible! Afternoon coffees and 'goodies' - superb! Champagne reception and canapés - delicious and plenty of......! The band were brilliant and the fireworks show was delightful.
A wee bit of heaven in an unspoiled part of the Western Highlands.
The best compliment I can make about the owners, Christine and Keith, is that they provide highland hospitality at the highest level and are truly genuinely nice people.
We left our mobile in the room (over refreshed - never!!) and Christine sent it on foc all safely wrapped up in a Jiffy bag.
This place is perfect!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank George P

Thank you for such a lovely review, please rest assured we worry just as much, so that we want to make your stay just as good as the previous one or better, however I know I can rely on my staff to go out of their way to accommodate all our guests. We love having you to stay and look forward to your next visit. Christine x

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I have stayed here a number of times over the years, with differing owners. Always a warm welcome, even in the depths of November when one can be the only residets to enjoy the views over the Kyle to the Isle of Bute. Good Breakfast. The present owner is not so well so next season ( 2014 )they hope to pass it onto a young couple. Hopefully the beer batter haddock and a fine pint in the Shinty bar will carry one regardless.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tighnabruaich
The Kames Hotel
#2 of 2 in Ardrishaig
West Loch Hotel
West Loch Hotel
#3 of 4 in Tarbert

Been to The Royal an Lochan? Share your experiences!