“Jeffs Review”
Review of The Kames Hotel

The Kames Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tighnabruaich
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at the Kames for 2 weeks while working at the Marina How lucky was i My little room was Brill The food was spot on While my welcome was relaxed and warm Like it should be by Pat Shelley and their team Thks again Pat Al be back But not with the crooks of Owens Formwork But to take more time out and enjoy the Breathtaking scenery Yous lucky guys have on your doorstep :):):)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Shelley T, Owner at The Kames Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you so much. It was great to meet you too & we all hope to see you back here soon but in holiday mode this time!! Just give Pat or Shelley a call to get it sorted.....

There are newer reviews for The Kames Hotel

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We chose a larger room facing the loch and am I glad we did. The view from the room was superb and you just wanted to sit there and look. We were the only ones booked in the night we stayed, yet the service was excellent and the lady who helped us with breakfast was lovely and did everything possible to make sure we had all we needed. I would have rated this hotel as excellent but for a number of small details, for examples there were stains on the carpet in our room and as you entered the hotel there was a strange smell from the coir matting. With a bit more attention to detail, this hotel could be one of the better boutique hotels in the world as it's location is superb.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Went for a weekend stay and had a really good experience at this hotel.
The room was spotlessly clean with interesting and very appropriate furniture.
The views from all the windows were stunning!!!
The staff were all friendly.
All the food was fresh, well cooked and nicely presented with very reasonable, affordable prices.
We especially liked the interesting and varied choices from the specials list, for example the black pudding and scallops.
There are three different areas in which to enjoy this food.
There is a popular, lively bar area with a great general atmosphere.
A comfortable restaurant area with a quieter, relaxed feel.
And a room between which provides a good half way mix between the bar and restaurant.
The full cooked breakfast was also cooked to the same high standard.
Having not visited this area of the country before we chose this hotel due to the good feedback within other reviews.
Having had the same good experience I totally agree with these other reviews.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have the stunning views. The bar, restaurant and outside tables all look out...
1  Thank gwm27
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My partner and I wanted a quiet relaxing break in a nice hotel in beautiful surroundings we were not disappointed
Checking into our room was quick and efficient and we were fully informed of times for breakfast/dinner. We had booked one of the small attic rooms. Room number 8. I just loved this room with its quirky sloping ceiling which at 5ft2 suited me to a tee, my partner at over 5ft8 also had sufficient room to move around. The room was spotless and the bathroom was extremely generous considering we where in the attic :) The views from the room were just amazing and I found myself time and again just going to the window to soak in the breathtaking views. We ate both nights at the hotel and the food was amazing I totally recommend the beer battered fish and chips but the sweet potato curry was to die for.

I cannot praise the atmosphere,staff, stunning views. The kames hotel has the total package.

My partner and I had the best time ever.

Room Tip: I read on previous reviews that travellers should choose one of the bigger rooms to gain full experi...
Reviewed 9 May 2014

we stayed in the kames Hotel for 2 nights. Our room had a fabulous view even the mist over the hills was awesome. The bed was comfy and the room had everything we needed. All staff we encountered during our stay were welcoming and attentive and the atmosphere was friendly and homely. A lovely restful break.

Room Tip: room 9 has a wonderful view
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This is our second stay at this hotel and again such a wonderful experience. You simply cannot beat the view when you look out of your window, just beautiful. The staff are really friendly, it feels like a very happy family home. The hotel bustles with locals which to me is a very good indication of how the hotel is recieved by the community. The adjoining bar was busy, happy, full of chatter and on the night we stayed included a musical extravaganza of local musicians sat round a table with some happy, wig-clad folks enjoying the lovely atmosphere of the night! We also ate an evening meal in the lovely stately dining room which is very tastefully decorated, incorporating the original victorian features of a grand house. This room is quieter if you feel like having a peaceful meal and the quality and variety of items on the menu is just superb. We had prawns wrapped in haddock and cheese roulade on a bed of crushed potatoes and fresh vegetables, it was delicious! Our friends had what they described as a "Whale like portion of battered fish!" with chips and mushy peas. Others had Mussels which looked fantasic, large, meaty and tasty. There were 7 of us in total and with our various needs we were all catered for in the most patient and satisfactory manner. Faultless service and happy to oblige. Breakfast was lovely too, served again in the lovely dining room. We arrived downstairs to the smell of freshly brewed coffee and a choice of cereals, juice, speciality teas and a breakfast menu with much variety. From porridge to a full cooked breakfast of quality local produce, or eggs cooked any way imaginable! You could ask for nothing more. There was no limit to tea, fresh juice, coffee, tea or toast. We didn't feel rushed and these folks were busy! Our room was beautiful, we had a front facing room which was tastefully decorated,spacious, quiet and spotlessly clean. Fantastic value for money. We will be back again in October. Another rather nice personal service was the courtesy phone call a few days before to confirm booking and evening meals times which I find reassuring when I am going to stay somewhere so I know everything is ready and they are well prepared for us. Happy, happy, happy customer indeed! Thank you, you lovely people!

Room Tip: Ask for the front facing rooms, but to be honest they are all lovely!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel for work (I am a wedding photographer) along with my husband who came along for the ride.

We stayed in a small room in the eaves of the house which for £55/ night was excellent value for money, and I'd say the room exceeded what we'd ordinarily expect to find at this price range - it was clean and modern with a TV with a small window looking out onto the water.

The hotel itself is nicely, but simply decorated on the inside and has lots of fancier, and more expensive rooms which would make it an ideally located romantic break.

Breakfast was food but I felt the portions were a wee bit stingy. But maybe I'm just greedy!

Best of all was the bar downstairs, you never know if you're going to be faced with a 'true' hotel bar, somewhere soulless and with only guests sitting quietly, morosely nursing their drinks and there was none of that - it was the local and was especially lively on Friday and Saturday nights, and leaving my husband there whilst I worked on Saturday, he soon found a crop of drinking compadres.

There isn't much to do in the local area but it is located in and amongst some stunning scenery and I imagine walking and watersports are pretty popular in the summer.

All in all good value but with plenty of character.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in price and quality, from 'good value' to fairly fancy, so read the website care...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tighnabruaich
The Royal an Lochan
#1 of 1 in Kilfinan
Hunters Quay Hotel
Hunters Quay Hotel
#1 of 11 in Dunoon

Been to The Kames Hotel? Share your experiences!