“The big house”

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“The big house”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Very interesting and ornate see how the other half live quite a few of the stars have had their weddings there. A lot of the coach companies do trip s there

1 Thank Jannette A

Staffordshire, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Mount Stuart”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I visited the Mount Stuart . Isle Of Bute with many others on a coach tour with a company I feel I cannot mention or promote right now.

The whole experience of this beautiful Gothic style Building was one of breathless emotion.

One of the elderly male guests with my party had a bad start to the tour when he miss placed his footing on the steps outside that seemed to drop in height on both sides as you go to enter the building. He was okay a little shook up as were those with him... It could have been much worse.... Most felt that the drop in the steps could have been more obvious and hi lighted if they had a red warning strip across them drawing attention to the danger..... I know this is not esthetically pleasing when given the age of the property but in a day where health & safety dictates so much that ruins our historic buildings Its a small cross to have to bear ...many elderly visit here and so I imagine he was not the first and wont be the last for this to happen too.

How ever....We all carried on with the tour into Mount Stuart and I for one was in awe of its stunning interior . Our tour Guide Megan & the rest of the staff were very welcoming and knowledgable...Very courteous & well presented. Very professional.

The great hall where they hold the Weddings sports two fabulous Tapestries... So detailed So Precise .. I would say remarkably accurate of those featured in both The faces and statures of the people & animals...... and to think they did this from memory from behind using a mirror is mind blowing.....I seriously doubt there are dedicated people that could do this in our day and age by hand by memory or even possess this talent and craftmanship.

The 3rd marquis of Bute was ahead of his time ....I truly believe that this mans insight and dream is a testament to a truly remarkable man whose love of the arts was too live on and continue through his son the 4th earl who succeeded him.

I thank God that it did for I would not have been able to stand in awe of such beauty architecture & landscape had it not.

The Marble The Stained Glas The Architecture the Story unfolds with every step you take on your tour throughout Mount Stuart House..... I became more and more emotionally struck by its ambionce and atmosphere The whole feeling of presence made you tingle .

I was struck by the carving of words on a trunk as you descend one of the staircases..... I have read this in songs its aquote originally from the bible.....Matthew 25:42

I was hungry and you gave me food
Thirsty and you gave me drink
I was homeless and you took me in
You fed me with the bread of love
You let me drink the cup of peace
You gave me shelter in your joyful heart

Though possibly changed many times.....I wonder how many would find the words as deeply as they were meant in the life & time they were carved on this box to which I read centuries later in my own moment in time.

All in all I have to say.... aside the landscaped gardens and the relentless beauty of the landscape and sea around the Isle of Bute & Rothesay whose panormaic views were to die for....Mount Stuart House has to be a moment in time captured in my heart and relived over & over.

I did take many pictures outside we werent allowed to take them inside the house but I did buy one of the books about Mount Stuart House from the trust shop.....which I love to sit and read.... and remember my visit there. How ever I have not at the time of this review uploaded them to my computor.

I could have spent the whole day there and soaked in its History & Beauty and Life story... Maybe in the future who knows I may return but if not I will not forget my short visit it is etched in my memory.

I would hope that many more come to enjoy the priveledge of it being open to the general public.
KamiCariad.

2 Thank KAMICARIAD
Dumbarton
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit if you are on the Island”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

A bit expensive to get in, but all things are nowadays. Playpark outside the grounds for the children, so you could just park at the side, have a picnic and let the kids play without paying to get in. You cannot enter the house without being booked on a guided tour, we had hoped to just wander around but this was not possible. The 2pm tour was full so had to wait an hour and a half for the 3pm tour - gardens are enormous so plenty to look at if it is a nice day - gift shop very small and very limited - this was the only disappointment. Once in the house it was just amazing (no photography though) - In the shop they sell postcards of the signs of the zodiac, once in the house you will see why - in the great hall there is a stained glass window depicting each sign going right round through the seasons, spring, summer, autumn and winter - they have crystals dotted about so when the sun shines you are surrounded by rainbows - just amazing.

1 Thank Linda K
Nenagh, Ireland
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Lovely gardens and house”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were on the Isle of Butt for a night, went to visit Mount Stuart next morning. It was lovely to see the house. It was a pity the day we went it was raining. The gardens were lovey.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Elaine P
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awesome”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Staggering history, and easy on the eye. Great day trip to Bute must include this awesome house. We stopped off at the Creggans Inn on our way back for a great meal. We lunched at Mount Stuart cafe which was fine.

Visited July 2014