Cannon House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rothesay
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely few nights here with our baby and the owners couldn't have done more to make us feel at home. Clean, well kept and with a welcoming atmosphere. We had a large room with an attached sitting room with beautiful sea view. We will be back and would recommend to friends.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 16 August 2014

For a bit of nostalgia whilst visiting my homeland, I decided to pay a trip to Rothesay, as it was the first holiday my parents took me on when I was one year old,(49 years ago) and I took my mum with us. I knew that the landscape and views would still be spectacular, (which they were.) but I wasn't expecting too much from the available accommodation.

I booked two rooms at the Cannon House, and although the pictures on the website looked quite nice, (as they often do?) I was expecting it to be a wee bit tired and run down. IT WASN'T AT ALL!! The rooms were crisp and fresh, with lovely bedding and good en-suite facilities in all rooms. The views from the sea-facing rooms are to die for, (see later pics) but even if you had a garden-facing room, you are still able to walk to the front door and still enjoy the world class view.

We were welcomed at the front door by Melanie and her gorgeous wee boy, Preston. She was charming and helpful, and couldn't do enough to make sure my wee (87 year old) mum was made comfy. She gave us some excellent advice about where we could go and what to do. The hotel itself had olde worlde charm, but had been enhanced by very modern touches. If you want a Premier Inn/Ramada style hotel, then this perhaps isn't for you. But if you place more store in cleanliness, warmth and charm, then pay Melanie and Preston a visit.

We took our car over, but if you fancy saving a few quid, just go over as foot passengers on the ferry. The Cannon House is only a couple of hundred yards from the jetty, where the P.S. Waverley (oldest passenger steamship still working) is a regular visitor, so you can easily walk along. Rothesay isn't exactly Vegas, but you knew that before you booked, didn't you? What Rothesay is, is timeless beauty, with views and weather that change by the minute, (even if you stand in the same spot.) We were only there for one night, but it gave us some lovely memories that will be with us all forever, and Cannon House played its part in making those memories precious.

Finally, I've been in the hospitality industry, (hotels, restaurants and pubs) for 26 years, so my opinion counts for something, even if I say so myself. So please trust me when I tell you that if you book yourself in to the Cannon House Hotel, you won't be disappointed. (And I haven't even mentioned the full Scottish breakfast???) I'm not the biggest fan of Tripadvisor either, as it is purely a snapshot of any business in that particular moment, but on the evidence I've seen of this particular venue, any negative comments would be ill-founded. Give it a go! You WON'T be disappointed, trust me!!!

Room Tip: It's a simple choice of either sea-view, or garden view. It's down to personal preference I...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank MKMackies
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We loved our stay at Cannon House Hotel, the perfect location and we were looked after very well. Our family room was one of the biggest I've ever seen, beautiful sea-views. Breakfast was great too.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Comfortable hotel in excellent location with fantastic view of harbour. Very helpful and friendly owner/staff were a highlight. Very close to Ferry terminal and town centre within 3-4 minutes on foot.Good value.

Room Tip: Room 5 has a fabulous view
Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ewan W
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed for one night at the Cannon House Hotel and really enjoyed it. We had Room 1 - complete with piano! - which was huge and had great sea views over the harbour. The hotel is five minutes walk from the ferry pier and central for all downtown Rothesay has to offer. It's also a great base for exploring other parts of the island.

Innkeeper, Mel couldn't have been friendlier - and we got to meet baby Preston too. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank juliet83
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We arrived without warning and quite late, but were taken in and looked after excellently - we got a great room (the first hotel room I have ever experienced with its own piano) which was very spacious and decorated with a lot of good taste. Creature comforts such as coffee and tea-making facilities WERE available in the room, as well as wifi. The bar is small but nice and the lounge is comfortable and inviting, offering coffee, tea, chocolate, biscuits, books and games, as well as a compelling view over the harbour.

Our hosts were young professionals who have recently taken over the hotel/B&B and are obviously committed to providing a great and personal stay for their guests. The hotel overlooks the water and the comings and goings of the ferries. The house is big and of venerable age, but it's being renovated and outfitted with very good taste and attention to detail. It was clear to us that the hosts' approach is "tell us if you have a special request, and we'll do everything we can to fulfil it", and the enthusiasm and friendliness was infectious and irresistible. Breakfast was delicious, and there was plenty of it, served with a smile.

We can only say thanks and wish the owners good luck as they progressively fashion the hotel according to their design, building up their reputation for providing a warm welcome and an enjoyable stay. We will certainly return again if we have the opportunity to visit the Isle of Bute in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Novindcha
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Cannon House Hotel is in a great location, right in the centre of things but still quiet and peaceful within. Mel, the owner, was just lovely and very helpful with good local advice and managing to meet my gluten free vegetarian breakfast requirements with no notice (sorry Mel!) - and it was delicious! The room was spacious and well presented, very clean. I don't really like staying away from home as I don't sleep well but actually it was very comfortable and quiet so I slept fine. Great view across the bay too. Mel's local knowledge was very useful not having been to Bute before and she took lots of time to share this with us - it really helped us make the most of our stay, seeing the real highlights.

Room Tip: Get a sea view if you can- its worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MsC180
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothesay
The Glenburn Hotel Ltd
#5 of 11 in Dunoon
Boat House
Boat House
#1 of 17 in Rothesay

Been to Cannon House Hotel? Share your experiences!