“Great Entertainment”

The Glenburn Hotel Ltd
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rothesay
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Just back from an Entertainment Weekend at the Glenburn and we were entertained very well on all three nights but more of that later.
It is our fourth visit to the hotel and, on request, we were given the same room (411) so no problems with accommodation. All the staff encountered were as usual pleasant and efficient. Of the meals taken four out of the six were very good but the other two were poor. One breakfast must have been dished up about 30 minutes before serving and the Topside of Beef was very tough. There was a temporary hiccup with the steamers in the kitchen on one night but as it was promptly and politely explained it was not a problem. The soups were delicious and contained more substance than the watery versions you get in some hotels.
Having been to Rothesay three times before, the time between breakfast (8.00am) and dinner 7.00pm) seemed to drag a bit this time. The previous daytime entertainment sush as Race Videos & Dance Music were replaced by Indiana Jones fims.
The evening entertainment was superb. After Bingo on Friday the resident duo Limited Edition put in a good stint followed by a very good Elvis impersonator with the duo rounding off the night with requests and dancing.
Saturday again was opened and closed by the very good Limited Edition, in between we were given an hour of the Detroit Twins, a dynamic duo belting out many Motown and Soul classics in a non stop perpetual motion performance.
Sunday was compere Gary’s night and what a night it was, starting with a very funny Bingo session he performed a one man show that had everything .He is a very funny man with a versatile voice, plays an adequate guitar and has a natural rapport with his audience. He was the Elvis from Friday night.

Room Tip: The rooms in the annexe are more modern (400+)
2  Thank NeilBlack
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Many thanks for your lovely review, it really is nice to receive such balanced reviews such as yours, and the staff really appreciate your comments about them. I have noted the comments about the food and will have a chat with the chef about this. I will also look into the afternoon entertainment, we do still have the race games and bingo and back this up with the films, mostly it depends on the numbers of guests who are in for the afternoon, but it's good to see that you enjoyed the rest of the entertainment. I'm glad to see the steamers breaking down didn't seem to affect you, believe me with dinner service for about 200 just about to start there was more than just the steamers heading for a break down, I have to say I was really pleased with the quick thinking of the chef and his team and in the way they still managed to get the dining room doors open on time, and with the minimum of disruption to the guest.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

My mum booked our family into the Glenburn Hotel for a weekend away (26-28 October) to celebrate my dads 60th birthday. In total 7 rooms were booked out, including 2 who had paid extra for a sea view room, only one of these was allocated to our party, when this was questioned at reception, the staff were rude, told us that we already had the keys to BOTH sea view rooms booked and when we asked to speak with the manager, Robert Cameron, he responded in an aggressive and threatening manner, not what I would expect someone in a management position to behave like!

Aside from this, as there were quite a few travelling over in our party, we were all leaving at different times on fri 26th oct. MY brother and his wife were due to travel over on the saturday morning as he could not get time off work for the fri. When I went to visit my brother before I was due to leave on the friday to find him lying at the bottom of the stairs in his house after having a bad fall. This lead to him being hospitalised over the whole weekend and unable to travel over and also meant that myself and my girlfriend spent friday night in Accident & Emergency with him, so we were not able to travel over until the saturday. When this was brought up with the staff at reception and the hotel manager about the possibility of a refund (at least for the room that lay empty due to my brother and his wife not using it) they were extremely unsympathetic and seemed like they couldn't care less. No help was offered other than "you'll need to take this issue up with shearings". Never in my life have I witnessed such poor customer service, something which I may take up with the Bay Hotels chain.

Now.. on to the room. My girlfriend and I were in room 233. First impression was this room could really be done with being updated!

The decor was looking really tired, paint was badly chipped around both bedside tables, the floor creaked with almost every footstep, the window was extremely dirty.

The bed was extremely uncomfortable and could be done with a new matress, the pillows were flat and also uncomfortable. When we tried to look for extra pillows (in a normal hotel, would be located in the wardrobe) there was none to be found.

The heater in the room was nowhere near big enough to heat the room. I noticed in other rooms they had gas heaters, but in 233 it was a pitiful electric heater.

In the bathroom, there were cracked tiles around the mirror, the shower was dreadful, little more than a trickle. Due to the fact that the shower was fed from the main bath taps made it difficult to find and maintain a reasonable temperature.

Other members from our party had the same issue, from what I gather, the shower in room 242 was in much need of repair/replacement.

I would also like to point out that my parents were in room 202 and my mum found it so cols that she had to go out and buy a hot water bottle for a little heat at night!

Now onto the food/ restauraunt

The food was terrible, quite clearly out of a packet and heated up.

When we were sat down for our 3 course meal on saturday night, not once did any of the restaurant staff come to take a drinks order, so we were left to drink the jugs of tap water on our table.

For breakfast on the sunday, I ordered Scrambled Eggs on toast, when it arrived it was swimming in a pool of water on the plate making the toast soggy.

The restaurant staff were polite, but didn't seem to be the most friendly of people... I guess this must run throughout most of the staff in this hotel.

On the whole, my 1 night in the Glenburn Hotel was one which I would rather forget. Avoid at all costs folks!

Room Tip: avoid rooms 202, 233 and 242, I have pointed out issues with the 3 of them in my review
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank peterson1983
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay at the Glenburn, I'm sorry if you did not enjoy your break, but welcome the opportunity to respond to your comments. At no time was I aggresive or threatening. I gather that you were not present at this time, and, if correct, I find it a little disappointing this accusation has been made, especially by someone who was not present at the time. When I tried to explain the postition of the hotel I was sworn at, and personally insulted.
Whilst I accept your party were unhappy with the service we provided, I will not accept rude and abusive language towards myself or my staff. In order to diffuse the situation I walked away and was accused of being rude. Regarding the room being empty, none of your party mentioned to me anything about anyone having had an accident and that they would not be arriving that day. We do have a cancellation policy and had your party not been so obstructive I would have been able to explain this to them which would have enabled a claim being made against your holiday insurance for the cancellation. As you may have seen from the many postings both before and after yours, the comments you have made in relation to the staff and food are not generally in keeping with other reviews.
Thank you for drawing our attention to the maintenance issues with the rooms, I'll be sure to pass them on to our maintenance man for repair.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

We drove to the hotel for a 'cabaret weekend' and paid extra for parking and a sea view. The cabaret was good - 'Elvis' entered the building and was great. 'Detroit twins' polished and OK. The food was, for the price, very good as were the staff. However, the rooms and general fabric of the hotel were tired and in need of a good clean. But we only paid £99 each for three nights of half board and entertainment so we got great value for money and had a great weekend. You could save money on the parking because there is plenty of safe on street parking available near by.

Room Tip: A sea view is worth having.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on our site, I'm pleased to see that on the whole you seem to have enjoyed your break, especially the entertainment. I'll be delighted to pass on your comments about the staff, they really appreciate it when guests are kind enough to give them a mention. We do have a refurbishment programme, but with the economic climate being the way it is it's not been possible to do as much as we would like, however we will be getting back to plan within in the next few months with several of the bedrooms down for total refurbishment.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Extremely run down hotel, rooms where completely outdated and uncomfortable, had the worst night sleep ever. No extra pillows supplied in room and the ones we had where flat. Bed was tiny and cramped. Shower went from being scalding hot one minute to cold the next. Our family staying in other rooms also reported the same thing. One room was so cold we had to go out and buy a hot water bottle for some heat at night.

Dinner was not great. Portions small and food not a good standard. There was 11 of us at dinner and our drinks orders where not taken so we drank the water on the table, hotel missed its opportunity to make a good amount of money from us here!

However the hotel did find other ways of taking our money! One was by charging us for a sea view room which we never got. When we explained this to reception the woman argued with us that we did have a sea view room. Was very patronizing as we are not stupid enough to overlook the sea when looking out the window! We also had a family emergency the first night of our stay which meant 4 of us did not make it, one of the family had an extremely bad fall and ended up admitted to hospital unable to walk. The 4 of us who did not make it where all at a&e and then following night 2 of the party still did not make it as the boy who fell was still in hospital. This meant we had paid for 2 rooms, one not used for 2 nights and 1 not used for one night yet the hotel did not want to hear about our troubles and instead was very rude about the whole thing. A bit of compassion at an extremely hard time would not have gone a miss.

And we had a very rude receptionist when we turned up. Very sorry to put her out and actually check into my room. Could be done with greating customers with a smile! Would not rate this hotel and will not be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sammoir

I'm sorry you have not enjoyed your stay at the Glenburn, as you will see from many of the postings both before and after your own, your comments are not generally the usual response we receive, especially about the staff. Once again I'm sorry if your break did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

We have just returned fron a three night Fri-Mon Shearings break.The weekend was traumatic for us because my wife had a suspected heart attack on Friday evening and was i hospital util
Sunday evening. The hotel Manager and his assistant showed great concern and were very supportive throughout. A special mention for David in the restaurant his concern and the help i he gave us was tremendous, Irrespective of that the hotel was excellent the food was the best we have ever had in Sheaings hotel and the staff, every one of them were friendly and competent.
The cabaret was excellent and I would certainly go back

Room Tip: Because of the circumstances I can't complete all the ratings
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to post you comments on our site, we all hope Mrs Lomax is making a speedy recovery and that the strain of the journey home did not take too much out of her. We have pinned up your thank you card on the staff notice board and really appreciate your kind words about the staff. Hopefully you and your good lady will find the time to return to the hotel and enjoy a more stress free break.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Just returned from a 5 day break with Shearings (15th-19th Oct 2012)
We had a great time here despite the poor weather.
All the staff without exception were very friendly and always helpful from our arrival through to departure.
There seemed to be quite a lot of local staff working in the hotel compared to others we have visited. This is refreshing to see and in my opinion points to a well run establishment and team if the locals want to work there.
Yes some areas within the building could do with a little TLC but nothing major that we could see.
We paid extra for a sea view and it was worth every penny. Ive slept in more comfortable beds but this did not spoil our stay.
Meals were pretty good but the evening meal portions are not massive and more suited to pensioner or child size.
I particulary enjoyed the Haggis tart with onion gravy but could have eaten a larger portion.
Snacks are available to buy throughout the day and are of a reasonable price and quality. We also purchased and ordered our snack for the return journey home but this was really disappointing and not value for money. Next time we will pop down to the local CO-OP and get a meal deal for the trip home.
Entertainment was on each night in the recently refurbished ballroom. Seemed to go down well with the older clients.
One annoying thing about the hotel was the closing of the downstairs bar at 10pm each night. We were told the reason for this was so the bar staff could help out in the upstairs ballroom. That left 12 of us downstairs with no bar plus another 6 who had came from the ballroom. We were told to get served upstairs and bring drinks down again.!!! Not good for some who were on sticks and not good for safety having people trudging up and down stairs carrying drinks. All declined and went to their rooms therefore denying the hotel much needed income from bar sales.

There was only 1 half day excursion included in our package which was a brief tour ofthe Rothesay area with a one hours stop 400 yards from the hotel to get one aquainted with the local shops and cafes etc.
The 2 shearings drivers did run an optional excursion to Dunoon between themselves, however they would only take 24 people from each coach so this led to a bun fight for bookings and a lot of people left disappointed especially some elderly clients who were unable to manage the scrum of those pushing and shoving for postions in the queue to get
their names down.

The grounds and area around the hotel are lovely and well kept. There are plenty of local walks and the ferry terminal is down the road some 400 yards.
We would return to the hotel perhaps in the spring or late summer and would also recommend it to freinds and family

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view.
1  Thank Alfonso_frisk

Many thanks for the lovely and very balanced review you have written on our site, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I have noted your comments regarding the closing of the downstairs bar and would like to mention that we have a lounge on the same level as the ballroom, this means that there are no stairs to negotiate with drinks and it is still away from the entertainment if that is what is wanted. I'll pass on your kind words to the staff, and we'll look forward to seeing you next time you visit. Once again many thanks

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Just back from the weekend at the glenburn hotel.the hotel is situated very close to the ferry and shops which is good.the hotel is great and the new showbar is a fantastic place to have a drink, listen to great music and have a dance .great idea well done.the rooms are big and very clean.the staff are friendly and would like to thank archie the waiter in the dining room always has a smile on his face even at 8am in the morning.i have read a few reviews and would like to point out that all ages go to this hotel.we had such a nice time we are booking in again next month for 3 nights not 2 .

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank sunworshipper012
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Many thanks for the great review you have posted on our site we really appreciate you taking the time to do this. We're very pleased with the new entertainment area especially now our cabaret weekends have started for the winter months. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to our Archie, he really is a favourite with the guests. I'd also like to thank you for your comments regarding the age group that stay at the hotel, to read some others you'd think it was little more than an old folks home, which really is misleading, some people just can't accept they're no longer kids.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothesay
The Victoria Hotel
#3 of 18 in Rothesay
Boat House
Boat House
#2 of 18 in Rothesay

Been to The Glenburn Hotel Ltd? Share your experiences!