“Didn't want to leave”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rothesay
Glasgow, Scotland
“Didn't want to leave”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Just back from another Break at the Glenburn Hotel. Had a lovely time as usual! It's a great place for a break and the scenery is beautiful!
I would like to thank David, Archie and Paul in the Restaurant for looking after us. They are great guys and a credit to the Hotel. Good fun too! They have a lot to put up with when grumpy and unappreciative guests are around but they cope well. All the staff are lovely and very helpful. Haven't met a bad member of staff yet.
Had great rooms with a sea view. Marvellous!
Compliments to the Chef for his great meals.
Thanks to Management and all staff for working so hard to ensure that guests have a great time. Well done!
We'll be back as soon as possible! Can't wait! Didn't want to leave!

Now, a wee message for Shearings Hotel Head Office(IF you find the time to read it that is) I have e-mailed you 5 or 6 times and have not received ONE reply. How rude! I simply wanted to know why you insist on sending special offers of a discount AFTER we have actually booked a break. When we booked a break last time we received an offer of a discount 2 days after booking.This has happened before and is most annoying. Even Customer Services did not respond! All I can say is I'm glad you don't actually work at the Glenburn because I would not be back! At least the staff at the Glenburn are hard working and aim to please the guests. It's a bad day when Head Office can't do the same!

Thanks again to all at the Glenburn Hotel. See you all soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MagsB50
The-Glenburn, Deputy Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hello lovely to hear from you again big thank for posting your review on to our site. I will pass your great comments onto Paul, Davie, Archie and the kitchen staff and many thanks again for such great postings we really do appreciate them.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Fabulous hotel .
Superb location xx
Food was excellent found it warm and friendly with great company and helpful staff in all sectors.
I consider myself well travelled and always look for whats right in life people places and things...
Loved it for price e paid I give it 5 STARS.♡♥♡.
Emailed manager re neeeding a room next to a lady we brought with us .it as acknowledged as done by quick reply.
Great weekend good entertainment and 4 free drinks what more can one want....
Maria G .
Thank You .
Glnburn coming again on way to Oban in October .
Isle of Bute hidden gem. .♡♥♡

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank hapione
The-Glenburn, Deputy Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
What a lovely comment Isle of Bute is hidden gem anyway many thanks for posting your review. I will make sure that the kitchen staff along with the other departments are made aware of your kind remarks. Thank you for your posting.
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Travelled with National Holidays for my annual trip with my sister and best hotel we have had. Beautiful building which you see from the ferry when arriving on Bute. The hotel is spacious and you can always find a seat, views are superb of the sea with mountains behind. The public rooms are large with comfy sofas and the ballroom looks like it has been recently refurbished. We had paid a premium for a sea view and it was well worth it. Room was large, with all the comforts you want, two wardrobes as our room was one that sits proud of the front of the building and had a corridor to get to the main room, our room must be getting ready for refurbishment is the only real negative, but very clean. The food was very good with a selection, just wish our waitress had given us a little more time to browse the menu but they were very busy. Free wifi available in the downstairs lounge/bar. The entertainment is the jewel in the crown! Gary who is in charge is a brilliant entertainer, funny, has an amazing voice and a charming personality and James who is a fantastic singer and should be on the London stage. We didn't think they could improve the content, but every night they did and it was lovely to have the Scottish dancers and pipers one night. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, thanks to all the staff.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jeanbrown24
Thank you for taking your time to write your review and a great one at that. The views get mentioned so often and it is well worth paying the little extra to book a room with a s/view. I will pass your comments onto Gary and James. Many thanks for your posting.
Tyne and Wear
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel looks very grand- a beautiful (19th) Century build. Because of its age and location we expected some flaws. Obviously this has been a very grand place in its hey-day. We were allocated a room on the first floor, room 101. Despite expecting some acceptable flaws, we were suprised that we found the whole corridor was in dire need of paint, and perhaps a new carpet, gaining entry to the room (by a key) was really difficult, as the door handle was loose and just turned and turned without opening the door. I could not open it, thank goodness my husband managed. The room was clean and pleasant, however, the window (rather large) let draught in making the room draughty. Someone had attempted to cover up the draught by using duck or masking tape! -Didnt work! The cold air was also coming in through cracks in the old window frame, We had 'upgraded' our room, and had twin beds, but my bed had a lumpy mattress- I could feel the springs and had disturbed sleep.We didn't complain as we had only booked the weekend there, but i did leave a list of the issues we had for the management to deal with- I hope they act on them)). However, the service in the hotel was second to none, the place is operated very efficiently and the staff are wonderful, particularly the dining room staff- they work so hard. The food was lovely. The evening entertainment was also very good- tribute acts Elvis and Bruce Springsteen and a couple of other singers- all very good indeed. The hotel is situated at the top of a steep bank, and only about a 10 minute walk into the centre of Rothesay. Theres some interesting things to see (the castle, Discovery Centre for example) for a weekend in the spring, not sure about spending a week or more there though. Well worth a visit and the hotel is value for money, but I do hope they will spend some money and give it an update. The hotel has lots of character and deserves some TLC.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view- they look onto the water, and the mountains.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
The-Glenburn, Deputy Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Many thanks for posting your comments onto our site. I would like to apologise for the mattress and I understand it was just a weekend break but you should never be uncomfortable and we would have changed it for you no problem. The corriodrs are at present are getting decorated but as it is a very large building and we can only do one at a time. Thank you for your lovely comments about the staff in particular the dining room team and I will pass these onto them. Thank you
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Five days at Glenburn in February. Yes, hotel is in need of a little tlc, but has lovely atmosphere and looks very impressive from front. Good food, friendly and efficient staff. Room was clean, warm and comfortable...worth upgrading for fantastic view.Entertainment excellent, probably best of many Shearings hotels we have visited over the years, special mention for James and Gary. Rothesay is quiet, but very beautiful, and we had some lovely walks. Island residents are very welcoming, we had many conversations during our stay.
Only complaint is lack of snow...February last year was quite spectacular!!
We shall be back.

Room Tip: High floor, upgrade for sea view..it's amazing!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for writing your comments on our site. Once again the lovely views from the hotel are getting a mention so thank you for that. So glad that you enjoyed our lovely Island and it is a great place for walking. I will make sure that I pass your comments onto the rest of the team.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned from five day trip with my mum with shearrings to the glenburn hotel.Lovely setting , room large we had twin room at front of hotel giving us fantastic views of the Clyde and mountains.
Staff excellent all very helpful would like to mention diago our waiter very efficient and friendly .Have travelled with shearrings on many occasions so know what to expect with the food, good choice nicely presented and
hot .
The entertainer Gary made our holiday he never stopped ,full of enthusiasm obviously loved his job,but must mention him as Elvis I have seen quite a few tributes to the King and can honestly say he was the best he had us laughing so much ,his act was brilliant I would go back to the hotel just to see him again.

Would definitely return to this hotel hopefully when the weather improves,as it rained the days we were there but as there was also entertainment in the afternoon we were kept occupied.

Hotel is being renovated at the moment with decorating and have no doubt that it will be lovely when done.

We'll done to all staff and management.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Susan H
What a great review and thank you for taking the time to post onto our site. It is always good to see the staff getting mentioned in particular Gary our host and Diego and i will pass your kind comments onto them. Many thanks again for your review.
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

From the outside this is a stunning looking hotel but looks can be deceptive. With a bit of work and money spent on it this hotel could easily wow the customers but as it seems to pack them in of a weekend I'm not sure it really needs or wants to.

The rooms are very basic, the single beds are topped with 4ft quilts which are not very comfortable for large people like myself.

There are tea making facilities but no tables to sit at and drink it.

On the first floor there is live music at weekends which seems to draw the crowds in (various styles of acts)

There is a lounge and bar on the ground floor but this shuts at 8.30pm which is a bit strange as the upstairs bar doesn't open until 9.00pm.

I'm a bit confused that the restaurant is at the back of the hotel as the lounge and bar on the ground floor overlook the bay, surely eating Breakfast or Dinner whilst overlooking the bay would surely enhance your dining experience and stay in general.

The food is very basic and with a little bit more thought could be greatly improved, I personally would pay a bit more per night for an upgraded food offering (I'm a caterer, a little biased but fully aware how much food and staff costs). I also found the serving staff to be very helpful.

I dealt with reception on 3 occasions and also found them to be very helpful.

The Island is well worth a visit with plenty of walks and sights to see.

I also found the locals to be very friendly and pleased to see people/tourists visiting their lovely island.

Would I visit Rothesay again. Yes Definitely
Would I stay at the Glenburn Yes probably

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Papajohnsmoan
The-Glenburn, Deputy Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post onto our site. We have actually spent a tremendous amount of money on the outside and inside of the hotel over the years but it is a massive building and to do it in a short space of time would be impossible. It is always good to see guests mentioning the staff and I will make sure it gets passed on. Hopefully you will come back and stay with us again and see some more of the Island.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothesay
The Victoria Hotel
#3 of 18 in Rothesay
Howards Way Guest House
Howards Way Guest House
#12 of 18 in Rothesay

Been to The Glenburn Hotel Ltd? Share your experiences!