“Needs refurbishment and maintained”

The Glenburn Hotel Ltd
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rothesay
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Needs refurbishment and maintained”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend break. Quite expensive as we booked independent of a tour company. Room was very basic - holes in ceiling, bed and mattresses very old and worn, TV was old and unable to get good picture, carpet stained. The bathroom was cleaned to a high standard, much to the credit of housekeeping. Shame management don't ensure other areas outwith remit of housekeeping are clean or furniture ie beds replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Food was awful and obviously obtained from very cheap suppliers. both non and alcoholic drink frightfully expensive.
Gary ???? and Jonny Cash tribute are excellent entertainers - thank you to both.
Dinning room and tables are just gross and a greasy spoon has more class. Waiters work very hard.
Would stay elsewhere if returning to Rostheay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lillith305
The-Glenburn, Deputy Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on our site. Sorry to see that you did not enjoy most parts of your holiday but as you will have seen from previous posting we do get some very positive feed back from our guests. Thank you again for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Scotland
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely weekend at the Glenburn Hotel. Management and staff were very welcoming and helpful. The food choice was good and excellent value. Great sea view. Entertainment most enjoyable.Will definitely be back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Seal26
The-Glenburn, General Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Many thanks for the lovely review, it's great to see you enjoyed your break at the Glenburn, and we look forward to seeing you back in the near future.
Clydebank, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just back from a week-end break with Caledonia to the Glenburn Hotel Rothesay - enjoyed the whole week-end from start to finish - John the coach driver was very informative, lots of information on lochs towns ferry etc.
Hotel staff all very pleasant, entertainment both nights was very very good. As has been pointed out, Gary just loves his job. Also as most of staff do.
Would have made this Hotel 5 stars, but our room 324 was very tired, but this did not take away from our enjoyment of the Glenburn - would go back.
We were very luck with the weather on our trip, no wonder the call Scotland God's country. Absolutely magnificent.
Hats off to everybody on our tour.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Elizabeth S
You loved it!, and I loved your review. Many thanks for taking the time to post it.
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel with a colleague for two nights in May 2014. We booked well in advance and selected the property based on hotel reviews from others. For context, I travel for work and am on the road about 50 weeks a year, and have been since 1998. I traveled to Bute from Asia and returned to Asia after my stay. My experience? If you are a business person and have the need to print or fax (even one page)--forget it. The staff seemed to take pleasure telling me there was no way they could allow a memory stick on their computer and the one email account (the manager's) was private, so I could not send them my single page document to print. Since it was Saturday, they recommended I take the ferry back to Scotland proper and hunt down a place to print and fax my document. As for the physical facility, I am sure they invested in it, but it is woefully out-of-date. The physical facility needs a multi-million dollar makeover. The property looks grand from the exterior pictures but inside has duct tape on the carpet and the room I was assigned was what I would have expected in rural Honduras or El Salvador--and had a unique, dead possum-like odor. The breakfast service was like a Soviet prison assembly line--the food as insipid as the service level was truly prisonlike. Many oddities throughout the stay, such as being issued a key to a padlock for parking space #9 and finding the padlock unusable and corroded--and looking like it had been that way for a long time. Wi-fi, which is tough to retrofit into an older structure, is only in the busy bar area. TVs are still cathode ray tube. On checking out (or trying to), I was at the front desk at the early hour of 8 am (note sarcasm) on a Sunday with no staff to be found. I was unsure if my bill was properly settled so rang the bell that said "ring for service" - after 30 minutes waiting around and ringing the bell, I dropped my key and my (non-working) parking key and left so I did not miss my ferry…when I could not find an email for the property to confirm check out and ask for an invoice, I sent a message to the Bay properties customer service email address. Of course, expecting an email response as too much for them - the near immediate response was "call the hotel at this number," which arrived as I was getting ready for my 21 hours of travel back to Singapore. I sent a response asking why the hotel could not at least communicate with me by email that all was in order. I reluctantly received the most perfunctory message from the "private" hotel email address the next day referring me back to my pre-pay for check-out status and receipt. I am not sure who runs the property and what her or his business strategy is, but it is in no way about the guest, and I really question if the manager understands the concept of hospitality. It is a real-shame - the property could be much more than it is...If all of this is ok for you, then by all means stay, but when I am traveling for work as much as I am, I need this type of experience about as much as I need a double root canal, and the lack of any business support was really disconcerting.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank t m
Thank you for taking the time to post your views on our Tripadvisor site. I'm sorry to see that you felt the service was not up to your standard, as you may have seen from the vast majority of postings we seem to satisfy the standards of most of our guests. I'm sorry you had problems checking out, our reception opens at 8.00 and I will look into why the duty receptionist had not appeared for what you say was half an hour. I would point out however that the restaurant, which is situated right beside the reception, also opens at 8.00, therefor there certainly would have been some staff members around to help you with your enquiry, which I believe was about invoicing. You mention that the booking was made well in advance of your stay, an invoice would have been generated for you at the time of booking, and sent out to you from our head office. As you had not billed anything to your room then there would be no invoice for the hotel to issue. With regards to your problem with the memory stick, I would have thought that someone so technically astute as you appear would have understood the issues of inserting an unknown and possibly unsecure device into a computer linked to a server of a large company. Indeed our own personal memory sticks, which we use at work, have had to be registerd with our head office, and to have inserted one not registered would have resulted in it being rejected. I beleive this to be normal practise for many companies. We are primarily a holiday hotel and as such do not promote facilities for the business traveller. Your booking was made for one of our hotel breaks which we believe offers tremendous value for money, and as such give no indication you were a travelling businessman.
I accept that some areas of the hotel require some money spent on them, however, despite the impending referendum on Independance, and the Westminster Goverments determination that an independent Scotland will not have the pound as it's currency, I was not aware we had been reduced to using dollars as a fallback. As to my understanding of the hospitality industry I believe that after more than 35 years in it I am well aware of my responsabilities to my guests, as are my staff, which is more than borne out by the many favourable comments posted on this site.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on site.
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 5 day national holiday trip to the glenburn and isle of bute our driver john was great from start to finish and the staff at the glenburn well are so friendly and help full couldnt ask for better place to stay then the glenburn we will be returning again this year keep up the good work guys and thank u for a great relaxing holiday

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle L
Thanks very much for the great review you have posted on our site, it's nice to see you enjoyed your short break with us and I'll be sure to pass on your comments to our staff.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We did the five days Shearings Rothesay Entertainment Break at the Glenburn Hotel and really enjoyed the experience. The hotel is set on an elevated view looking over the lovely Rothesay Bay and harbour. The hotel is a splendid listed building with plenty of oldie worldly character with large well laid out public areas which include a very smart refurbished Ballroom which is the main Entertainments venue.

The food was excellent with a variety of choices of starter, main meal & puddings
Plus the staff were very polite and attentive “nice group of people”
The Entertainment was top class Monday to Wednesday particularly loved Wednesday with the young girls Highland dancing school and hats of to the Magician/comedian with his Mask Ventriloquism act with James the brilliant Scottish singer, everyone was in hysterics

Just a small point I have to remark on, is that on Thursday breakfast time. We arrived latter for breakfast than the other couple who we shared the table with, has they were leaving we sat down to start our breakfast. Their breakfast plates cups etc were left with waste food etc the entire time we spent eating our meal. It was not for the lack of servers for we had four different ones serving us, and there was only one coach that week to attend to.” Some misunderstanding somewhere.” But only a minor point to our wonderful five day break.

We would both recommend this Hotel for the food, situation, and the excellent entertainment, (great value for money)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank UKC0uple
The-Glenburn, Deputy Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank for taking the time to post your comments on our site. By all accounts you have enjoyed your stay with us at the Glenburn and we do appreciate that you would recommend the hotel. I will make sure that staff and entertainment team are made aware of your great comments and please accept my apologises for the table not be cleared at breakfast. Thank you once again
stourbridge, west midlands
Reviewed 3 May 2014

just back from another lovely shearings5 day break at Bute, lovely little island in western Scotland. Quiet island but Hotel warm, cosy rooms and friendly. Lot of rooms but easy to get lost in the maze of corridors. Lifts in good working order though. We had-standard room at back of hotel but still a lovely view of garden and woods and Roe deer can be seen in seen, which we lucky to see. Hotel is on a steep hill and not for the faint hearted to go up and down town, but if you are fit and active lovely walks around the area behind the hotel into town. lots of local pubs in town. visit toMountStuart is well worth the time and effort and easy to get to on the local bus. Meals were lovely tasty and hot/good selection Well done chef! don't know how you do it for the money! Excellent value for money. excursions could have been better ,half day island tour but because it starts at 930am the mist still hovers over the beauty spots would be better with later start! no alternative to optional trip off the island so thought it would be better to have trip to Mount Stuart. Will definitely go back. Entertainment on most nights and enjoyable. TV in room not good small and old fashioned and not all channels achieved, but in fairness did not watch much but this could be a consideration for less abled people relaxing in their rooms.. hotel appears much refurbished and nice in most area with lovely ballroom/entertainment-area.

Room Tip: nice to have an upgrade if you can afford to sea room and better TV.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margaret96
The-Glenburn, Deputy Manager at The Glenburn Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for posting your review on our site and lovely to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the Glenburn. You will have seen for other posting that the deer get a mention and also get their pictures taken they are the hotel celebrities. We do like to think that we provide value for money so thank you for your comments we really do appreciate them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothesay
The Victoria Hotel
#3 of 18 in Rothesay
Howards Way Guest House
Howards Way Guest House
#12 of 18 in Rothesay

Been to The Glenburn Hotel Ltd? Share your experiences!