“Never stay here!!!”

Chandlers Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ascog
“Never stay here!!!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Booked a groupon deal for the easter weekend and had to pay for an upgrade to a superior room as there were no standard doubles left, which we were happy to do. We took our 12 week old daughter for our first weekend away as a family. The room we were put in was a small double room, certainly not a superior room, and there were no toiletries or bottled water in the room as described on the hotel website. When we complained that it was not a superior room and that the room was not as described the owner informed us that we were getting a cheap deal through groupon so he wouldn't provide any extras that you would usually get and that people like us couldn't afford to stay in his hotel without groupon deals!! Obviously we were quite shocked at this and to top it off he asked us to leave and find another hotel! Being easter weekend and having a 12 week old baby were quite worried about finding another hotel at such short notice and the only way to get home again would have been to get the ferry. Luckily the Victoria hotel had a room for us and were so friendly. We also found out that the owner of Chandlers hotel does this all the time. Rudest person I have ever met. Throwing out a couple with a baby, late afternoon on the Saturday of easter weekend.

• Stayed April 2014
47 Thank Grubit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
scotland
Reviewed 27 August 2014

In fairness, I haven't actually stayed here, but can certainly comment on the so-called booking process. I bought a Groupon voucher in early July, which on paper represented excellent value, and my expectation levels were set accordingly.
In early July I tried on two separate days to make a telephone booking during the times specified, but the phone rang out. I phoned later on the second day and was abruptly told by the woman answering that she was too busy,couldn't arrange anything at that point and phone back at the right time ! Eventually got through the next day, spoke to a male who told me that they had nothing available during the period of the voucher (July/August) but they were extending it into September. I reluctantly agreed to midweek dates in late September, but on reflection decided against this as it was not convenient. I phoned Groupon who cancelled the voucher with telling speed and no argument. I suspect I wasn't the first to do this. Then, on 23rd August I get a t/c from the owner, Allison Gibb, saying these new dates could no longer be honoured as she and her husband were closing the hotel to go away for their wedding anniversary (!) and her son should never have offered the booking (don't you have a diary to mark dates in ?). She then offered me dates in October, with an upgrade - which was certainly not in my plans. I emailed the hotel to say I did not want to take up this "option" and had cancelled the deal. End of story as far as I was concerned.
I then get a reply from Mrs.Gibb telling me that is had not been possible to honour the September dates as she ( or her husband) needed to go into hospital then, and all her other guests had been sympathetic and understanding - well try telling me the truth or the same story twice. Don't try to make me feel guilty about something you never told me about.
She then went on to say that obviously her offer of an upgrade, with a bottle of "bubbly" (never mentioned) was not enough for me, and she could do no more - all with the same unhelpful, sarcastic tone featured in so many of her feedback comments.
Still, they'll be have been heartened to read the 5 star review they received later the same day from a yet another first-time reviewer.

14 Thank bigcheuk
allisongibb, Manager at Chandlers Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Totally confused by this review as we have had a few emails and you had decided to draw a line under it yet here you are wishing to tarnish my name for no reason.

Yes you purchased a groupon voucher BUT it was on sale in May yet you waited until July to redeem it and then were surprised when all the weekends had gone.

We had vacancies in both July & August - which can be verified via Groupon yet the dates we had didn't suit you so my son kindly extended your voucher period as you didn't want a refund at the time.

When i called you I didn't want to discuss personal health issues with you and explained that we had an anniversary instead - regardless of the reason i needed to move your booking. I generously offered you a room upgrade and whether you heard or not a bottle of bubbly was also offered - which actually comes as standard with most of our upgrades.

You seemed quite happy with this offer yet needed to check with your wife, understandably. Alas instead of calling back to discuss you sent me a rude email & contacted groupon whom I'd already contacted prior to offering you a date change.

Your suggestion that groupon refunded your money due to a fault on our behalf is libelous and untrue.

It is somewhat unfortunate that when i speak the truth I'm accused of being sacastic but when customers choose to tell mistruths that is apparently acceptable. Well it isn't any longer.

We welcome all well mannered guests into our home and treat them like long lost friends. Rude illmannered people are no longer welcome and both my husband & I are more than within our rights to ask them to leave.

Perhaps if people treated each other throughout the world with a bit more humanity we wouldn't be in the mess globaly that we all currently are.
Largs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We had a most enjoyable stay at this hotel in August. Paid for the sea view which proved to be a good decision. The food was superb and the staff very helpful. No hesitation in recommending a break here.

Room Tip: First floor with sea view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eddie M
Reggio Calabria, Italy
Reviewed 26 August 2014

What better place to begin your road trip round Scotland. A romantic room, superb food and the most personal of service. We decided to start our discovery of Scotland here on Bute and chose Chandlers. We were not disappointed and if anything raised our expectations for the rest of our journey. We were greeted like long lost- friends and couldn't believe the room-with-a-view. Our evening meal was even accompanied by a caring visit from the chef who took time out from a busy restaurant to go round each table. Our hosts were delightful and even a little live music was thrown in for good measure. It was hard to leave the next morning!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed here with a deal offer to celebrate our anniversary. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The owners were very hospitable and looked after us well. They have a wonderful decking area outside, and on our first morning after breakfast we sat there. It was very hot and had amazing views. Dave the chef produced amazing breakfasts and a very well presented and good standard dinner on our anniversary night. As mentioned in previous comments, we too were in a back room with no view but for what we paid did not expect one. We did not have a car and public transport is good. We also walked a lot. Thanks to Andrew, Allison (and Hannah) for an enjoyable stay and to Dave to great food. There was also a lot of "banter" with us other guests and Management. Looking forward to returning

1 Thank lizandjim
Glasgow
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent two nights at this establishment and we have to say that it was not an enjoyable experience. The room was to the rear of the hotel which looked out onto a large ivy covered banking. This blocked out a great deal of daylight and combined with the decor made the room gloomy and unwelcoming. We also found the bed really uncomfortable.

Parking outside the hotel could be difficult because of the slope of the driveway and the absence of an actual car park. (The best parking spaces appeared to be taken up by the owner).

The majority of the hotel staff were pleasant and businesslike with the exception of the Manger who seemed to take great delight in addressing people as though she was their schoolmarm!

We dined in the restaurant on our first night but with only two courses on offer considered that it was a bit pricy (We were not offered the choice of the extensive menu that appears on the hotel's www site and began doubt if it actually exists ?). We dined at a restaurant in the town after that and paid considerably less for our food and drink.

Since we do intend to take more breaks on this lovely Island we do hope that this hotel is not representative of the standard of what is on offer elsewhere.

12 Thank Robert J
Yorkshire
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I, like the last reviewer was planning a trip up here. looking at trip advisor i found this hotel. On reading the reviews i found it refreshing how the owner found time to defend her castle. In fact my partner and friends all regularly check the site to see whos visited and the feedback its a great talking point ... so keep up the good work we look forward to bringing our smiles to stay with you soon and enjoy your hotel and its setting !!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank holidaymaker37
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ascog
The Glenburn Hotel Ltd
#2 of 18 in Rothesay
St. Ebba B & B
St. Ebba B & B
#3 of 18 in Rothesay

Been to Chandlers Hotel? Share your experiences!