“Ten points for the Ploughmans”
Review of The Kingarth Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kilchattan Bay
The Kingarth Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilchattan Bay
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I'm a Microlight pilot from north London. Whenever my friends and I make the journey to the Isles we feel compelled to stop at the Kingarth Hotel on the Island of Bute. The bar staff and waitresses are so friendly and welcoming, but it is the Ploughmans that draws us back! Well worth the 900 miles return trip! I'm told that the burgers and fish are good too, but for me it's the Ploughmans everytime.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank FlyUK2011

Reviewed 1 August 2011

we make a point of stopping on bute just to have lunch in this pub (twice in the last month). The food is really good, particularly the ploughmans ( it comes with everything). the staff have all being their for years, and are very helpful

Fly-UK team

Reviewed 31 July 2011

We had our wedding reception at Kingarth hotel and what an excellent venue it turned out to be. A big thank you to Maria, the owner and all her efficient and friendly staff. Maria liaised with us to plan the evening and gave sound advice which helped to make the evening go smoothly. We were able to choose from an extensive menu for the sit down meal, we opted for three choices of starter, main and pudding and without fail all were excellent (thought the beef with all the trimmings was a particular hit). Tables were served and cleared quickly by polite and friendly waitresses. Children were given kid friendly options too. The room at the back of the hotel is a plain function room but glass doors lead out onto a balcony which looks over the bowling green and a view of the bay (we particularly apppreciated the hanging flower baskets which had been placed there). The hotel put on a couple of minibus trips to take guests back to Rothesay. The disco was brilliant - thanks to Ricky the DJ. To top it off the sun shone!! Would highly recommend this venue for a wedding reception- we had 50 guests which was a good number for the sizeof the venue. Thanks again to Maria and her team.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Flew into Bute airfield on Friday 22nd July, mid-afternoon looking for a nearby B&B. Rang 'Kingarth' and booked room and evening meal for myself and a fellow flyer. On arrival some 40 minutes later, the room was organised for us. A table in the restaurant had also been reserved. Service from arrival to departure was excellent. All staff were friendly and helpful. The evening meal was excellent, breakfast first class, the room, though simple, was 'en suite' and very comfortable. A stay at the 'Kingarth' I feel represents good value for money. I would have no hesitation in staying here should I get into Bute again.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

This has to be the worst hotel on the island, I visited a few years ago and was excellent. Oh how times have changed, where do I start.
The toilets are a disgrace and look like they haven't been cleaned in a very long time, the food was very questionable. Is everything frozen? I think so as my meal was frozen in the middle, my wife asked for a rare steak and a bit of burnt offering landed, when sent back another attempt came out still overcooked. How hard is it to do a rare steak???? When we went to pay the bill the landlady (Maria) has to be the most rudest person I have every met, when I complained she barked at me. She needs a course in manners and customer service!!!! Be warned!!

• Stayed: May 2011
10  Thank Bute-tourist
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Spent a few days here enjoying the peace and quiet. Warm welcome, Tea/coffee/food available all day in comfortable surroundings, great views and friendly, efficient staff that couldn't do enough for us. Excellent value for money.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Anotherlittlejolly
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Stopped to have lunch here today - it was reccommened by the tourist information in Rothesay. Yet again British service proves and embarrasment - I was with my German in-laws.
We order food which was OK (my husband did enjoy his burger) but my burger was served in a sweet cinnammon and raisin bun - this was obviously a mistake and as you can imagine wasn't a particularly yummy combination - but I complained to two different members of staff and they didn't even apologise - just looked at me like I was a little bit crazy. No apology, no offer of a reduction in the bill, nothing - it is amazing how ignorant waiting staff can be - what a shame - my meal was ruined and quite simply nobody cared.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
#3 of 3 in Rothesay
Chandlers Hotel
Chandlers Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ascog

Been to The Kingarth Hotel? Share your experiences!