“Carrick 2012”

Cameron Club Lodges at The Carrick
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arden
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We have just returned from our stay at the Carrick for the seventh time. We are lodge owners and have to say are very pleased with the up keep of the lodges. I have to say I was not impressed to find the activity centre was closed and all activities were to take place at Cameron House for the kids as this meant traveling back and forth throughout the day. Having said this any day we had something on we just rang for the conceige and they took both our children back and forth and returned them to the lodge or where we were dining. I had booked both our children in for the whole week of activities and have to say they thourghly enjoyed themselves. As they had a Halloween theme on that week this was excellent the kids enjoyed going out with the ranger to build hedgehog houses and camp fire night. They enjoyed their two chef classes and the Halloween disco was excellent. Thank you very much to Kelly and her team for all activities on and my daughter was very impressed with the face painting to go with her gothic ball gown so thanks very much from the Cowlings. Wk 42 (look forward to next year).

Room Tip: We own a three bedroom lodge which sleeps eight and is very spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Shaz C

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Just returned from a three night stay at Mansion House at the Carrick. The apartment was superb, with lovely solid oak furniture, high quality lighting and furnishings and in perfect surroundings, looking onto Loch Lomond.

The staff were friendly and efficient. We used the spa which was delightful and the hot tub, looking out onto Ben Lomond. Had drinks in the Great Scots Bar at Cameron House.

Look forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank AnneAitken
Reviewed 7 October 2012

The Carrick Spa was recommend to me so my husband and I booked and a deal with a Rasul mud treatment. This turned out to be DIY, but that suited us. However, we were told to go to the waiting area 5 to 10 mins prior to the mud session and someone would get us at noon. No one arrived so eventually I asked a passing member of staff and she reluctantly showed us to the room. It was a quiet day for them apparently and there was a distinct lack of staff to be found, anywhere. Two fancy showers in the spa, neither functioned properly. Seats outside on the balcony were covered in bird droppings and spider webs - needs a little more care at those prices! The spa area is beautiful and the lockers and changing rooms were nice, but the day was applied by the food. Limited choice but very expensive and came from the Claret Jug downstairs. I had the lamb burger at £15.95 took almost a half hour to arrive. Burger came with a tiny pot of extremely greasy and cold sweet potato fries. I was starving by this point, so i just started tucking in. Small chip of a bone in the first mouthful, but just spat it out and put it to the side. Second mouthful the same again. I was eating this burger in fear of cracking a filling or chipping a tooth. Couldn't face a further wait for something esle, so I gave up? Young waitress asked if everything was OK and I said no. Pointed out the 5 small pieces of bone chips on my plate and said the fries were greasy and cold. I left to get showered as we'd been in our robes this whole time and said I'd meet my husband outside. We decided that we'd had enough and this meal had definately taken the shine off our day. Later I asked him if anyone had come to apologise about the burger and he said someone came up and offered to take 20% off the cost of the burger! What!?? A burger full of small chunks of bone at £15.95 and cold greasy fries and they'll only take 20% off the bill? I would have thought they'd be mortified to have served up such poor quality fare at a De Vere resturant, but it seemed not. My advice would be enjoy the spa, but give their food a wide berth.

Room Tip: The spa has a full size pool on the ground floor. Only noticed this on departure and commented to t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tedtrotter
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Accommodation (Carrick 2 bed lodge): The lodges were clean,had nice interiors, a sauna, a bath big enough for 2 people and 3 showers...We were sad to leave after our 3 night stay. But please please please get rid of the petty £20 electricity charge you get hit with at the end. Honestly having to pay for communal street lights is just tight.

Grounds: The grounds are well kept and include tennis courts, and is safe for the kids to play and cycle round. There were great walks and the lodges are 5 mins walk from a litte pebble beach on Loch lomond.

Carrick Spa: Clean, spectacular, brilliant for adults to relax. Kids allowed 2- 5 pm. Felt like I couldn't relax though as our kids were the only kids there and every time they screamed with enjoyment a few older ladies (clients) would look and frown.

The Claret jug: Expertly designed for that wow factor, only had drinks in here but conclude with others that the service level is minimal...ie enough to get by. Pricey too but inline with other swanky bars.

Cameron house leisure facility: 2 miles away...Kids welcome all day. Included if you stay in carrick lodge, Brilliant for kids, really nice and warm water. Staff friendly.Squash courts. Kids club looks good although we didn't use it. There is a concierge service which was fantastic.

The boat house restaurant: 5 mins from walk from Cameron house, Amazing setting, fab fashionable decor, Decent menu for all the family. Service was good at a good pace but I feel that if we are going to emulate an american New England boat house lets get the american service with smile attitude aswell. Whats the point in having coloring in sheets for the kids then saying sorry ..no crayons left? Also I hate 10% service charge being added automatically.

The great scotts bar (in Cameron house): Loved the decor, amazing views...but DONT EAT HERE. Substandard food at elevated prices....guarantee you could cook better yourself. Menu made everything sound scrumptious but the food came and it was nothing like the description.

All in all a fantastic place to spend a short break with the family!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Kelly D
Reviewed 17 July 2012

All the reviews on this page appear to only refer to the Spa at The Carrick...so I'm writing one about the golf course.

Basically, it's FAB!!!

My husband and I played there today along with 10 friends on a deal offered to us by De Vere Golf Resorts. The deal included breakfast at the Claret Jug prior to a round of golf. Breakfast was delish with an unlimited supply of tea and coffee to prepare us for our round.

The round of golf proved to be superb....despite recent heavy downpours, the course was not waterlogged and played like a dream. Everyone came off raving about it and wanting to play it again! It's challenging in places, with some of the bunkers being absolutes brutes, but there are no major hills/slopes which make it user friendly!!! The views on all the holes are stunning!

Only drawback....the usual complaint by lady players....please put loos in as its not 'convenient' to pop in to the Clubhouse half way round!!!

Will we be back???....MOST DEFINATELY!!!!!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We had a 2 bed apartment on the 1st floor (114) overlooking the loch & golf course. The apartment had everything in it, was clean & comfortable. The view from the small balcony was great & you could sit watching the golfers go bye the 16th green. Another advantage is that you get free entry into the Carrick Spa by staying in these apartments, it has a nice quiet pool, saunas, steam rooms & jacuzzies.

Room Tip: Request a loch view if you are staying in the mansion house.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rspatrick1107
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We had 3 wonderful days. We were booked in quickly and efficiently. Our lodge was top quality, we've never been somewhere so luxurious and clean. I.E. music system was a bose, sheets were beautiful white cotton, pans the best quality, leather setees etc etc. Beautifully decorated, plush bathroom and each bedroom had an en-suite as big as a bathroom, sauna if you wanted. My sister-in-law and I kept pinching ourselves. We were not actually on loch lomond which was a shame more near the golf course but it was still very pleasant. We were walking distance to the Claret Jug resturant where the spa facilities were. Had a pleasent meal there and the staff were very friendly. We also had the spa experience twice. First time was wonderful, the pool is a lovely size to swim in, jacuzzi's, heat beds and bench, sunas and roof top jacuzzi. We did our experiences when it was dark so we could see the moon and stars. The second time was not as good purely because there had been a power cut and the facilities like pool and jacuzzi's were not as warm as they should be and the heated chairs and bench room were not working. It was a real shame as our first experience was fantastic. The De Vere hotel which these lodges were with was also top class. We went out for a couple of meals but actually cooked in one night as the lodge was so lovely. We also travelled to Glasgow to the main shopping part which had lovely buildings and places to eat and also went to Edinburgh which is another lovely place to go. My husband and brother-in-law went to a distillery which they obviously enjoyed.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arden
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
#1 of 2 in Balquhidder
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander

Been to Cameron Club Lodges at The Carrick? Share your experiences!