“excellent food at the claret jug winter warmer menu”
Review of Cameron Lodges

Cameron Lodges
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arden
Alexandria, Scotland
“excellent food at the claret jug winter warmer menu”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

had the winter warmer menu £29 for 2 people for 2 course dinner. I had the salmon to start then Thai veg curry - very tasty and my hubbie had soup then fish which was also really nice. staff very friendly and polite. all in all really nice.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2012

This is the second visit to Cameron House/Carrick. Our first visit last year was a huge dissapointment as the lodge we had been allocated at Cameron House was dated, dirty and should not have been let out! We contacted the management team on our departure (yes we know we should have done that when we checked in) but anyway they informed us that that particular lodge should not have been let out as it was due to be refurbished and that they would offer us another week free gratis to show what the real experience of staying there should be like. Due to illness we were unable to use this offer until last week. We had been given the choice of returning to Cameron House or trying out the Carrick. Having been put off by Cameron House I chose the Carrick. We were allocated Lodge 116 ( a two bed three bath lodge).
Overall the stay was fantastic. We had a good check in which was far better than last times check in (I note from other reviewers that customer service seems to be lacking in certain parts of this resort and we have experienced this only a little on this visit and this was from the girl on the desk in the spa). The lodge was of a high standard and would definetly go back again. My only complaint is the excessive charges for electricity. That needs to be reviewed as they are terrible!

Room Tip: Lodge 116 was great as lovely view, good parking and still near enough the Claret Jug to walk too
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Phmm69
Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We have just returned from our stay at the Carrick for the seventh time. We are lodge owners and have to say are very pleased with the up keep of the lodges. I have to say I was not impressed to find the activity centre was closed and all activities were to take place at Cameron House for the kids as this meant traveling back and forth throughout the day. Having said this any day we had something on we just rang for the conceige and they took both our children back and forth and returned them to the lodge or where we were dining. I had booked both our children in for the whole week of activities and have to say they thourghly enjoyed themselves. As they had a Halloween theme on that week this was excellent the kids enjoyed going out with the ranger to build hedgehog houses and camp fire night. They enjoyed their two chef classes and the Halloween disco was excellent. Thank you very much to Kelly and her team for all activities on and my daughter was very impressed with the face painting to go with her gothic ball gown so thanks very much from the Cowlings. Wk 42 (look forward to next year).

Room Tip: We own a three bedroom lodge which sleeps eight and is very spacious.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Shaz C
Southport,U.K.
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Just returned from a three night stay at Mansion House at the Carrick. The apartment was superb, with lovely solid oak furniture, high quality lighting and furnishings and in perfect surroundings, looking onto Loch Lomond.

The staff were friendly and efficient. We used the spa which was delightful and the hot tub, looking out onto Ben Lomond. Had drinks in the Great Scots Bar at Cameron House.

Look forward to returning.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank AnneAitken
glasgow
Reviewed 7 October 2012

The Carrick Spa was recommend to me so my husband and I booked and a deal with a Rasul mud treatment. This turned out to be DIY, but that suited us. However, we were told to go to the waiting area 5 to 10 mins prior to the mud session and someone would get us at noon. No one arrived so eventually I asked a passing member of staff and she reluctantly showed us to the room. It was a quiet day for them apparently and there was a distinct lack of staff to be found, anywhere. Two fancy showers in the spa, neither functioned properly. Seats outside on the balcony were covered in bird droppings and spider webs - needs a little more care at those prices! The spa area is beautiful and the lockers and changing rooms were nice, but the day was applied by the food. Limited choice but very expensive and came from the Claret Jug downstairs. I had the lamb burger at £15.95 took almost a half hour to arrive. Burger came with a tiny pot of extremely greasy and cold sweet potato fries. I was starving by this point, so i just started tucking in. Small chip of a bone in the first mouthful, but just spat it out and put it to the side. Second mouthful the same again. I was eating this burger in fear of cracking a filling or chipping a tooth. Couldn't face a further wait for something esle, so I gave up? Young waitress asked if everything was OK and I said no. Pointed out the 5 small pieces of bone chips on my plate and said the fries were greasy and cold. I left to get showered as we'd been in our robes this whole time and said I'd meet my husband outside. We decided that we'd had enough and this meal had definately taken the shine off our day. Later I asked him if anyone had come to apologise about the burger and he said someone came up and offered to take 20% off the cost of the burger! What!?? A burger full of small chunks of bone at £15.95 and cold greasy fries and they'll only take 20% off the bill? I would have thought they'd be mortified to have served up such poor quality fare at a De Vere resturant, but it seemed not. My advice would be enjoy the spa, but give their food a wide berth.

Room Tip: The spa has a full size pool on the ground floor. Only noticed this on departure and commented to t...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tedtrotter
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Accommodation (Carrick 2 bed lodge): The lodges were clean,had nice interiors, a sauna, a bath big enough for 2 people and 3 showers...We were sad to leave after our 3 night stay. But please please please get rid of the petty £20 electricity charge you get hit with at the end. Honestly having to pay for communal street lights is just tight.

Grounds: The grounds are well kept and include tennis courts, and is safe for the kids to play and cycle round. There were great walks and the lodges are 5 mins walk from a litte pebble beach on Loch lomond.

Carrick Spa: Clean, spectacular, brilliant for adults to relax. Kids allowed 2- 5 pm. Felt like I couldn't relax though as our kids were the only kids there and every time they screamed with enjoyment a few older ladies (clients) would look and frown.

The Claret jug: Expertly designed for that wow factor, only had drinks in here but conclude with others that the service level is minimal...ie enough to get by. Pricey too but inline with other swanky bars.

Cameron house leisure facility: 2 miles away...Kids welcome all day. Included if you stay in carrick lodge, Brilliant for kids, really nice and warm water. Staff friendly.Squash courts. Kids club looks good although we didn't use it. There is a concierge service which was fantastic.

The boat house restaurant: 5 mins from walk from Cameron house, Amazing setting, fab fashionable decor, Decent menu for all the family. Service was good at a good pace but I feel that if we are going to emulate an american New England boat house lets get the american service with smile attitude aswell. Whats the point in having coloring in sheets for the kids then saying sorry ..no crayons left? Also I hate 10% service charge being added automatically.

The great scotts bar (in Cameron house): Loved the decor, amazing views...but DONT EAT HERE. Substandard food at elevated prices....guarantee you could cook better yourself. Menu made everything sound scrumptious but the food came and it was nothing like the description.

All in all a fantastic place to spend a short break with the family!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Kelly D
Glasgow
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We recently had a meal at the claret jug restaurant at the Carrick. When we arrived in the morning for coffee there was no-one around, so we waited n waited so I made a loud cough! To which a young blonde female appeared with a make- up brush and a mirror. I asked for 2 coffee n she said yes, but we waited for 15 min till she finished her hair and make. !!!!!!! Finally we get them, I asked for the meal so we could book for the evening n she came back about 20 min later after vanishing into the kitchen area. We noticed a lady mopping at the back of the bar n she quickly went at got this female. I asked her name she said Danielle. Now I presume at places like this she should b wearing a name badge!!!!!! We then placed an order for the evening, n as we were about to leave Danielle stood at the bar n didn't even acknowledge us leaving. A very rude young lady with very little experience, and really should b shown the door.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank JasGlasgow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arden
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander
Knockderry House Hotel

Been to Cameron Lodges? Share your experiences!