“A wee bit of heaven”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ardlui
Edinburgh
“A wee bit of heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Although I am Scottish I had never been to most of Scotland's lochs. Well I decided to remedy this and took a couple of days of work and drove up there. I was unsure of the hotel that I had booked, as I'd never been there, but all doubts went from the moment I drove into the hotel's car park. Not only was the external of the hotel clean and well maintained the view was amazing! Her indoors was very impressed and as this was a wee treat for her that was a bonus, she even went quiet for a wee while!! Check-in was swift and courteous and we had been up graded to a family room, I'm not slim so I liked that. Decor and room in general was clean and well presented. After we unpacked, I supervised, we went down to the lounge bar and were greated with complimentary home-made tablt, home-made shortbread and a gentleman's measure of 17 year old Glengoyne whisky. A great touch. I've worked in the hospitality business most of my life and it's kind of second nature to observe other hotels/ bars/ restaurants but if I were looking to find fault I couldn't. The welcome was great and the staff very knowledgable and happy. You'd be surprised how much differnce a little smile makes. Bossman Scott is a brilliant host and as for his daft dug, well you'll just have to go and meet Hector yourself. Very nice breakfast and our evening meals were great. We had a good laugh in the bar with some guys from Paisley, I think, who had been up to do snow-boarding at Glencoe resort. We visited there the day after, not very far and great scenery, I'd just like to take this opportunity to say sorry to all the drivers who were stuck behind a slow Corolla but I was just taking in the scenery. The only down side was having to leave. Her indoors is already making plans to return and to stay in the lodges next time. Although there is a local train station if you are there for more than 1 day I'd advise taking the car as there is so much to see.

Room Tip: A view of Loch Lomond is a must.
1 Thank HaggerstonMac
ScottSquires, Owner at Ardlui Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you so much for the great review, it made me laugh. I hope we can welcome you back to our lodges in the near future and for a gentleman's measure of Glengoyne at the bar.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

The small hotel is beautifully situated on the banks of Loch Lomond and was the perfect place to stay for 2 nights to celebrate new year. All of the staff were really friendly and the service was excellent. Although the rooms are very small as it is an old inn, they were comfortable and cosy. We ate at the hotel both nights and the food was delicious, the portions were generous and there was a great selection. We celebrated Hogmanay with a piper and live band and dancing into the wee small hours. The following afternoon they had a pub quiz and served us complimentary hot snacks and there was another more low key celebration that evening. We chose the full Scottish cooked breakfast each day so enjoyed a walk along by the marina to burn off the calories. Sadly our rooms didn't have a loch view because the scenery is stunning. I suppose my only slight disappointment was that neither of the hotel bars had the décor and character of an old inn as I imagined. My first stay here but its a place I'll return to.

Room Tip: book early to get a room with a loch view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
ScottSquires, Owner at Ardlui Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice review. Glad that you enjoyed your New Year break with us, we do like to celebrate a little at that time of year. Hope to welcome you back to Ardlui in the future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Fantastic family run hotel. I've stayed here a lot since June 2013 and wouldn't go anywhere else in the area. The staff are always friendly but not intrusive in any way. Nothing seems to be too much trouble. The hotel is consistently clean which is something I'm fussy about. I have stayed in several of the rooms which are all very comfortable and the single room has a great shower. The food is good and the portions are generous. The public bar has an open fire and pool table and is very cosy. The views are fabulous over the loch and different every day. I will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sarah A
ScottSquires, Owner at Ardlui Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you so much for your great review and your repeat custom. I am glad that you always enjoy your time with us and hope you continue to stay with us in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

me and my wife stayed at the ardlui hotel in the superior double room the room had a jacuizzi type bath sky tv dvd with a selection of movtes to watch compliments to the chef for the delish food i tried venison for the first time i would also highly recomend the steak pie too as we had the steak pie on our second night the staff are very friendly and cannot do enough for you cannot fault this hotel for anything definetly will be back big thumbs up ardlui keep up the good work thank you mr and mrs webster

Room Tip: upgrade to superior worth the money
1 Thank mrwebster186534
ScottSquires, Owner at Ardlui Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review. So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will come back again in the future and maybe try some more dishes on our menu.
Dunoon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Lovely friendly staff and hotel. Our room was lovely, large and overlooking the loch with it's own sitting room. The food was lovely. We stayed on an itison deal(paid supplement for superior room) and felt we got really good value, but probably would not pay the full rate at £120. Would love to go back but would again look for special deals.

Room Tip: Well worth the extra money for upgrade to superior room. Room 22 had amazing views and seperate sit...
1 Thank Neils88
ScottSquires, Owner at Ardlui Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your nice review and glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We often have deals on so hope you will visit again in the future.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here for following my brother’s wedding at the neighbouring outdoor activity centre and it was one of the most pleasant hotel stays we’ve experienced. The classic pub food was deliciously done for starters, as was the breakfast. However, it was the hospitality that really made the stay amazing. We had been persuaded by my brother’s friend to trek across Loch Lomond to The Drovers Inn. With only some nice knee high boots I didn’t want to spoil and some unsuitable heels, the owner, Scott, kindly lent me his girlfriend’s wellies. He also picked us up from The Drovers Inn for free as part of their minibus service. He and his staff were lots of fun chatting to at the bar and he let us take our drinks into The Visitors’ Lounge when the pub had closed and even gave us some complimentary gold vodka he gets imported!! Oh, and he has a lovely pub dog that just finishes off the whole homely vibe! The hotel is right next to a marina where you can catch regular trips to the other side of Loch Lomond.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Aisha R
ScottSquires, Owner at Ardlui Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that i could help you out with the wellies. I hope you will visit again in the future for some more gold vodka.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I enjoy the drive up to the Ardlui from Glasgow to eventually have a nice meal and a coffee but could you please get rid of the very dirty carpet in the restaurant/ bar area and replace it with nice beech wood flooring. What a difference it would make to the customers experience of the place. Oh,and while im still moaning can you take away that big crazy dried plant on the poser table. Its so 80's. I realise when you work there everything can become very familiar but to a customer some things just stick out. Those things aside its still a nice place to stay and eat. Friendly staff and good views too. Thanks Ardlui.

• Stayed October 2013
ScottSquires, Owner at Ardlui Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your nice review and opinions. Upon your next visit you will notice we have disposed of the "crazy dried plant" on the poser table. Hope you will be back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardlui
Loch Long Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel

Been to Ardlui Hotel? Share your experiences!