Ardlui Hotel
Claymore Hotel(Arrochar)
  • Bar/Lounge
Ardgartan Hotel(Arrochar)
View Hotel
All reviewswest highland wayloch lomondsteak pielovely hoteltop floorsuperior roombeautiful locationfood was greatboth nightssingle roomevening mealfamily roombar and restaurantmor lodgedrying roombit datedsaturday night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel after a long day walking. The hotel was accessed by use of a small ferry trip across the loch. We did have to wait longer than we thought for the ferry, however someone did come for us after we phoned the hotel for help

We were met by very pleasant hotel staff and were offered a choice of 2 rooms, both with fabulous views of the loch. The room was pleasant and well equipped, however very dated except for the bathroom which was beautiful with a lovely deep bath and lots of complimentary toiletries

Our bags were taken to our room here and also brought down again by Tom, very helpful. The breakfast and the evening meal at this hotel was plentiful and of a good quality

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Its over a hundred miles each way to the Hotel from where we live, just over two hours drive and when the problem solving work undertaken to widen the road is finished the journey time could be a lot less painful.
That said why did we bother to return some four years after our last visit given that on both occasions now the weather has restricted the view across the Loch and the traffic heavy to the point of one long convoy.
We liked this place the first time, we still liked it this time and with a table booking, were determined to make the most of our whistle stop visit.
Unfortunately for us there were no empty cabins available to view after our meal, something we had hoped to do, working towards returning in the future, lesson learnt, plan ahead more than a day at a time to avoid disappointment.
The meal was very enjoyable, the Venison burger cooked to my liking, the sirloin steak with a pepper sauce for my wife looked and tasted how she liked it.
The staff, especially the guys, worked hard to make sure nothing was missed out, job done and in a relaxed way.
The music playing was straight out of the 70's and 80's, Stevie Wonder never fails to please and delivered a satisfying accompaniment to our tasty meal.
The décor, however, is way past its best, apart from some relatively new tables and chairs the lounge and lobby needs to rediscover the 21st century, the carpet around the bar would benefit from a steam clean, better still replaced with something altogether more practicable.
We would return but not before a radical shake up, after that it is a definite cert for a stop over.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Simon W
Reviewed 6 May 2014

While walking the West Highland Way ,we stopped overnight here. We were 8 very excitable but very tired ladies. Kevin greeted us, carried luggage upstairs for us and he and Teri made sure we were well fed and watered..after a very comfortable night we enjoyed a delicious breakfast served by Agnes who was only too pleased to make sure we enjoyed it.she also made up our packed lunches before wishing us well on our way. Thank you all very much ,

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed here one night while walking the WHW and wasnt impressed. As soon as I had booked they took a non-refundable deposit of my credit card. A week before I was due to arrive they sent an email saying they had a band playing and if i didnt like it I could find alternative accommodation (as if that were possible a week before Easter). When I arrived the reception staff were abrupt to the point of rudeness. The room itself was hysterical - decorated in the 1980's with alsorts of weird gadgets including a shoe shinning machine in the hall. The shower had a detailed instruction sign which made no sense.... the whole thing felt like faulty towers. At reception they asked if I was having dinner and explained they were heavily booked so I should make a reservation. When I arrived at the dining room it was empty, after hanging around for several minutes being ignored I managed to get the attention of a truly grumpy waiter who showed me to my table. The table was in the entrance to the dining room in front of the entrance and stood out like a sore thumb. I pointed out to the waiter that it was ridiculous table - he basically said it was that or nothing despite every other table being empty. A nice customer overheard and suggested I could go to the hotel bar around the corner. The hotel bar is cute but the food is truly terrible - terrible in the sense of being inedible even after walking all day.
I then asked about wifi which is only available in the guest lounge. The guest lounge is unheated and freezing furnished with 1980's sofas and a nappy change table. The room smells faintly of old nappies.
Breakfast was standard but i didn't eat much as i wasn't feeling great from previous nights dinner.
To get to hotel from WHW they send a little boat which is fun but quite pricey - 10 pounds return.
The camp ground looked okay but is on main road so a lot of traffic noise.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank taniwhamoana
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed here in March for two nights on an itison deal. The pictures on the website make the hotel look much more plush and fancy than it is - it is very dated although clean, to be fair. We didn't have a bath in our room which we were disappointed about but a pokey wee bathroom. The staff were very friendly to give them their due, and happy to help with any queary, although some were lacking in professionalism (although by this point I knew that was expecting too much) the hotel had a very 'small town' feel about it which is fine if that's what you're looking for.

The food was strangely mis matching - on the Friday night I had smoked mackerel and a poached egg on mashed potatoes which was one of the tastiest and well cooked meals I have had however when we asked for bread were brought four halves of cheap white bread, not the standard of other things on the menu (and so easy to do well! Just buy good bread!). The desserts were cheap pub style desserts, stodgy and not home made. The menu wasn't particularly good value, portions big but standard of restaurant not high enough to warrant the prices. Considering that there is no where else to eat if you want to drink, this irked me a bit. We were both too hot in our room so didn't sleep terribly well but the bed was comfy enough.

The breakfast was bad on the first day, terrible over cooked scrambled eggs and a raw cold half tomato with the full Scottish and again just not good enough for a meal that's so easy to do well, I make a better one at home. Poor choice of fruit (only tinned pears in syrup) and only 'wee packet' cereal on offer and only filter coffee to drink. On the second day we chose better, eggs poached (requested runny) and only chose the items which were good the day before. We saw a child getting beans after we ordered which weren't on the menu - wish we'd asked for them!

Over all, we'd have been bitterly disappointed if we'd paid full price but averagely satisfied having only paid half due to the deal. Other hotels we've stayed in have been of a much better standard for the same price, we are not hard to please but feel that what you get in a hotel should be better than what you can do yourself at home! We won't be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath if you want one.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple