“What a pity...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ardlui
The Netherlands
“What a pity...”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Ardlui hotel is situated on a beautiful spot alongside Loch Lomond. The owner of this hotel has the opportunity to create a wonderful accommodation here but the owner didn't...
This hotel is hopelessly outdated. Old furniture, terrible furnishings, filty carpets, noisy and a restaurant with a chef without any imagination (perhaps there isn't a chef...). The hotel gave me an upgrade to a bigger room (why does this never happen to me in a 5 star hotel...?) and personnel was friendly but I will never recommend this hotel. What a pity...

For WHW walkers: As the hotel offers a ferry between the east side of the lake and the hotel I selected this hotel instead of one the B&B in Invernanan for my third stop of the WHW. I did not take the ferry but walked the whole track. I thought I could take a cab to Ardlui from Invernanan. However this was not possible. I walked approx 2 miles along a busy and dangerous road. Almost all walkers end in Invernanan so it is more fun to have a B&B there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Aquarius74

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Ireland
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed on a Sat. night in a superior room. Check-in was quick and friendly. The room was a good size with a large sofa and coffee table. The decor was modern, the bed comfortable and the view lovely. The bathroom was a little cramped but fulfilled its functions.
The dinner menu had a nice choice including some simpler fare, served in a friendly manner with a lovely view over the loch and mountains.
Breakfast on the other hand was a disappointment. It seemed that expense was spared everywhere. A communal marmalade jar had to be scraped of its last contents, a jug of orange juice wasn't refilled and the sugar bowl had enough for one cup of tea. Those little things and the lack of service with a smile left a disappointing taste and spoilt an otherwise pleasant and comfortable stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neiltoo
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Visited for morning coffee / breakfast on a lovely Friday morning, first impression was of a dingy, outdated decor. No friendly face at reception. Had run out of food, NO EGGS, no morning rolls and tiny helping of black pudding. The promised roll and sausage turned out to be two pieces of white bread with links and the cups were dirty. The toilets were grimy. Could do much better, would not return without major make over, needs the Hotel Inspector.

Room Tip: Didn't stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank cowpitsheep
Yorkshire
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel after a long day walking. The hotel was accessed by use of a small ferry trip across the loch. We did have to wait longer than we thought for the ferry, however someone did come for us after we phoned the hotel for help

We were met by very pleasant hotel staff and were offered a choice of 2 rooms, both with fabulous views of the loch. The room was pleasant and well equipped, however very dated except for the bathroom which was beautiful with a lovely deep bath and lots of complimentary toiletries

Our bags were taken to our room here and also brought down again by Tom, very helpful. The breakfast and the evening meal at this hotel was plentiful and of a good quality

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Its over a hundred miles each way to the Hotel from where we live, just over two hours drive and when the problem solving work undertaken to widen the road is finished the journey time could be a lot less painful.
That said why did we bother to return some four years after our last visit given that on both occasions now the weather has restricted the view across the Loch and the traffic heavy to the point of one long convoy.
We liked this place the first time, we still liked it this time and with a table booking, were determined to make the most of our whistle stop visit.
Unfortunately for us there were no empty cabins available to view after our meal, something we had hoped to do, working towards returning in the future, lesson learnt, plan ahead more than a day at a time to avoid disappointment.
The meal was very enjoyable, the Venison burger cooked to my liking, the sirloin steak with a pepper sauce for my wife looked and tasted how she liked it.
The staff, especially the guys, worked hard to make sure nothing was missed out, job done and in a relaxed way.
The music playing was straight out of the 70's and 80's, Stevie Wonder never fails to please and delivered a satisfying accompaniment to our tasty meal.
The décor, however, is way past its best, apart from some relatively new tables and chairs the lounge and lobby needs to rediscover the 21st century, the carpet around the bar would benefit from a steam clean, better still replaced with something altogether more practicable.
We would return but not before a radical shake up, after that it is a definite cert for a stop over.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simon W
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

While walking the West Highland Way ,we stopped overnight here. We were 8 very excitable but very tired ladies. Kevin greeted us, carried luggage upstairs for us and he and Teri made sure we were well fed and watered..after a very comfortable night we enjoyed a delicious breakfast served by Agnes who was only too pleased to make sure we enjoyed it.she also made up our packed lunches before wishing us well on our way. Thank you all very much ,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed here one night while walking the WHW and wasnt impressed. As soon as I had booked they took a non-refundable deposit of my credit card. A week before I was due to arrive they sent an email saying they had a band playing and if i didnt like it I could find alternative accommodation (as if that were possible a week before Easter). When I arrived the reception staff were abrupt to the point of rudeness. The room itself was hysterical - decorated in the 1980's with alsorts of weird gadgets including a shoe shinning machine in the hall. The shower had a detailed instruction sign which made no sense.... the whole thing felt like faulty towers. At reception they asked if I was having dinner and explained they were heavily booked so I should make a reservation. When I arrived at the dining room it was empty, after hanging around for several minutes being ignored I managed to get the attention of a truly grumpy waiter who showed me to my table. The table was in the entrance to the dining room in front of the entrance and stood out like a sore thumb. I pointed out to the waiter that it was ridiculous table - he basically said it was that or nothing despite every other table being empty. A nice customer overheard and suggested I could go to the hotel bar around the corner. The hotel bar is cute but the food is truly terrible - terrible in the sense of being inedible even after walking all day.
I then asked about wifi which is only available in the guest lounge. The guest lounge is unheated and freezing furnished with 1980's sofas and a nappy change table. The room smells faintly of old nappies.
Breakfast was standard but i didn't eat much as i wasn't feeling great from previous nights dinner.
To get to hotel from WHW they send a little boat which is fun but quite pricey - 10 pounds return.
The camp ground looked okay but is on main road so a lot of traffic noise.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank taniwhamoana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardlui
Loch Long Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel

Been to Ardlui Hotel? Share your experiences!