“Pleasant stay”
Review of Ardlui Hotel

Ardlui Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ardlui
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Very nice stay overall. Came up on the train from Liverpool, and decided to stay here on the way up to Fort William. Only a couple of minutes walk from the station, and right on the Loch so was very convenient. Excellent view of the Loch from our clean, well-apportioned room. Pleasant staff and a lovely breakfast. We also had an evening meal in the restaurant and that too was excellent. All in all a very nice stay although there is absolutely nothing else there apart from a small shop, so if you have children they may get bored!

Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 June 2009

We came here during our walk of the West Highland Way - took the ferry over from Ardleish (you summon it by raising a red ball on a mast they have over there). Our room (#10) was comfortably appointed & pretty. The bed was pretty sad though, on a serious tilt. It still did not interfere with our enjoyment of the place. The tub had jets in it so my husband was in heaven. The food at the restaurant was good. There was a very old, very big black dog in residence sleeping on the landing - he was no trouble at all.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2009

We had a very enjoyable two day break at the Ardlui hotel.

It is set in a fabulous location overlooking Loch Lomond - what a view to wake up to in the morning!

Our Family room was very clean and comfortable, as were all the public spaces in the hotel.

We found the staff to be most welcoming and friendly. They went out of thier way to make our stay a pleasant one.

The breakfast was huge and very well cooked. We also ate in the hotel in the evening, where we found the food to be of excellent quality and very well prepared.

I would certainly return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I have just come back from Ardlui where I had spent 6 weeks as a barmaid so I could see not just public places but even the back places where customers are not allowed and I cannot help myself to let everyone know how excellent this place is!! The place has got its own spirit, it is relaxing and about the owners..the family...there are not the right words to say how gorgeous they are. I worked in many hotels in UK before and if someone asked me which one I would recommend to my best friend, it would be Ardlui. I fell in love with it first day I came:)

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank Kayla85
Reviewed 22 May 2008

We stayed at this hotel perchance after a long drive back from the highlands..basically it was a pitstop, as we were very tired and needed a place to clean up and rest. On check in the only room available was a 'de-luxe' at £110 per night, bit pricey but after a disaster ridden amateur camping experience that culminated in a near split with my partner & a particularly nasty midge attack...think midge helmet on your head! around the Glen Coe area & beyond I wanted to wash those critters literally out of my hair and I didn't care where or how at the time and wasn't in a sane state of mind to reason about the cost. Anyway we booked in and all I wanted was a nice warm bath, to wash my hair, get something to eat & drink, put on my PJ's watch some Sex & the City re-runs and chill....errr not quite to plan! The deluxe room was rather dark, tired and dated and the bed had a noticeable dip in the centre. The main bug bear was the de-luxe bathroom...I turned on the hot tap to run a bath, a trickle of luke warm water and I mean a trickle came out. Not put off I moaned a bit and left it to run for over half an hour whilst we chilled with some drinks. Eventually with the bath full, I turned on the jacuzzi jets and glimpsed something black shoot under the bubbles...yes a big black sodden, hair ball...yuk!!! One of the sink taps was also at a right angle pointing towards the bath and had to be manouvered back into position. There was some kind of black congealed goo on the base of the handwash dispenser over the sink, that appeared to have been there for quite some time. On the plus side it was quiet, had a flat screen TV although with limited channels and it was somewhere to rest your head. The restaurant was mediocre, although the nachos were pleasant. The breakfast was ok, although I am certain I did hear a member of staff utter an unusual coloquial, that said she was very pleasant & helpful. To sum up a complete rip off for the price, had a noticeably strange whiff in the room/bathroom and don't book it if you want a wash i.e. bath/shower..the hand held mixer shower was a trickle of water in the morning too. A cross between Fawlty Towers & the Adams Family Mansion to sum it up and an utter rip off for the price.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2007

Booked a Double room through VisitScotland (for £65) to celebrate our engagement. 250 miles driving through torrential rain and the hotel had no double room for us. We endured 25 mins whilst they went through various ways of telling us it wasn't their fault and it was all down to VisitScotland (a marketing firm they employ to sell rooms for them...). We were eventually given the ultimatum of a twin room (apparently their last) for £75 or we could chance going elsewhere as "It's our last room and we'll definitely sell it. VisitScotland shouldn't have promised you that price - you'll have to sort it out with them!"
So not only did we not get a double room on our engagement, we were kept waiting for about 30 mins at reception, we were charged a £5.80 booking fee from Visit Scotland on the hotels behalf, we were charged an extra £10 for the room and felt blackmailed and used by the entire experience.
In fairness, the room was clean and the girl who tried to sort it out was polite but could not find any rooms in the vicinity. However, the hotel is right on the A82 (about 5 yards away) and is very noisy with traffic up and down all night. Only five of the ten promised TV channels worked and breakfast was nothing more than average. We won't be visiting again...

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank srebaja
Reviewed 2 November 2007

we have stayed in both the self catering lodges and the hotel, the lodges we have stayed in nine times over the last seven years,they are immaculate in both decor and cleanliness, the peace and quiet and the views are fantastic. the sauna is always a great way to relax . we have also stayed at the hotel for a long weekend and found the room both well equipped and clean,the breakfasts were well cooked and always looked forward to.we have always found the staff very friendly and attentive, both they and the sqires family always make you feel special during your stay.the hotel grounds are always maintained to a very high standard.no better place to unwind and enjoy scottish countryside and hospitality.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sherbridgend
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardlui
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Inveraray

Been to Ardlui Hotel? Share your experiences!