“Very reasonable, but tiny rooms”
Review of Ardlui Hotel

Ardlui Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ardlui
Reviewed 26 June 2010

I’ve stayed at the Ardlui twice before and found it pleasant enough. It’s only small, but very clean and it’s one of those places which feels as though it’s a home from home. It has a pleasant atmosphere. For a night or two’s stay on Loch Lomond, it’s decent.

The menu isn’t particularly large, but caters perfectly for my own tastes and the portion sizes are reasonable. If you’re drinking there avoid the whisky, though. You’ll know what I mean when you see the price. I’ve even been in four star hotels where it’s been little more than half the price the Ardlui charge. Luckily, the rest of the alcohol is reasonably priced though.

I can’t believe they still have mortice locks on the room doors...! I hate these antiquated things! No joke, I was on my knees in the corridor trying to carefully thread the key in the lock and then having to repeat the process once I got into the room!

My only real complaint about the place is the size of the rooms. I’ve been in four different rooms as I’ve always gone with family (I’ve personally had the same room twice!) and found all of them to be generally very small and the dark wallpaper on some of the walls doesn’t help them either. The bathrooms are generally okay size-wise but most I’ve seen do seem to be dated and now in need of a change. On the positive side, I have no complaints about the cleanliness in the rooms or bathrooms. The beds are comfortable and the pillows are just the way I like them. Once the non-residents pub closes downstairs, it goes quiet and the A82 is surprisingly quiet in the middle of the night too.

The decor in the public areas are looking their age though. Whilst clean enough, it could do with a minor makeover, especially in the Breakfast room.

I’ll happily stay there again sometime in the future, but the prices are starting to get a little steep for what you get.

The best thing about the Ardlui are the log cabins on the Marina. They are absolutely superb with stunning views and include a sauna! Again, the prices are becoming eyewatering for them though, even out of peak season. We would have certainly stayed in them again by now if it wasn't for the price.

• Stayed: June 2010

Reviewed 29 May 2010

It took just 5 minutes for the ferry to be on its way from the hotel to the Way side of the Loch. Excellent good value meals and atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2010

After a hard walking day (coming from Balmaha on the West Highland Way) we were looking forward to staying at the Ardlui Hotel. We used the ferry to cross Loch Lomond and that worked pretty well and we paid GBP 3 p.P.

From the lake side the hotel looks really nice and we were happy about choosing this hotel. But this changed quickly. At the reception the service was professional / efficient, but not friendly. When we got to our room it was tiny, less than half a meter around the queen size bed. Also it was facing the road, so it was really noisy, especially when the windows were open. So not the peace you would expect from a lakeside hotel. We tried to change rooms, but they told us that the hotel was full and we should close the windows and that after 11 pm there was not that much traffic.
The bathroom was very old fashioned, had a bathtub but without a shower had. So you could only take a bath. But after half of the bathtub was filled they ran out of hot water. So as a last resource we had to heat some water with the kettle.
Dinner was okay, your typical highland pub menu with burger, haggis, casseroles / stews and fried fish.
The breakfast in the morning was about the same. Choice of cereals, but no juice or milk left. We had to ask for it, about three times, till we got it. In general the service seemed to be slow and grumpy in the morning. A fork was missing from one set of cutlery and the second set was also missing. But we managed to get the cutlery before all our food was cold.
Also they do not seem to have a housekeeping room. So at least from eight till ten in the morning they were using the corridor for ironing and one had to climb over bags of clean and dirty laundry. No kidding!
So you can stay at the hotel, nothing is wrong with it, but don’t get your expectations up. Their website looks a lot nicer / posher than the reality and they should train their staff to be a bit more friendly and service orientated.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2010

We stayed at the Hotels touring area with our motorhome. Reading some other reviews about the hotel - I think they are a bit harsh. The toilet block at the touring area is a bit antiquated but no worse than any we have stayed at in fact probably better than most - they were immaculate. As was the hotel bar and restaurant. The food was fantastic and the menu catered for all tastes, even kids. There was a good wine list and plenty of whiskies to choose from. Spectacular views and very friendly and helpful staff. We will be revisiting, and will take the kids the next time. Relaxing nights stopover.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2009

We have just returned from 2 hights in The Ardlui Hotel and can`t recommend it enough.The staff were great,the food was fantastic and the location beautiful..........what more can you ask for.Will definately return.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Needing a very quiet break, I randomly chose Ardlui because of the romantic legends associated with Loch Lomond. This hotel is noteworthy for its charming and helpful staff, the really good food, its location and the cozy ambience. After checking with the standards set out by the United KingdomTourism Council, the three star rating is appropriate. Anyone not familiar with this rating could spare themselves disappointment by reviewing these standards.
The hotel is definitely not filthy. The hotel is geared for, and accommodates the walker/hiker/outdoors-types; every entry and room being equipped with welly-trays. The rooms and eating areas are thoroughly clean. I would, however add that the guest lounge is out-dated and shabby. But even this room has spectacular views.

My five day stay was rewarded with tranquility, incredible surroundings, exceptional weather and genuine friendliness.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2009

What a waste of a good location to have such a lousy hotel. I paid more here than in other, much better hotels and we both felt very disappointed with the Ardlui and the terrible food. They even managed to screw up the breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PuigPuig
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardlui
Loch Long Hotel
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Ardlui Hotel? Share your experiences!