“Musical gem in the mountains of Tennessee.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Bluegrass Underground
Gadsden, Alabama
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Musical gem in the mountains of Tennessee.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went there for the first time to see Jason Isbell. We bought the combo tour and concert tickets. I recommend doing this because they will do the tour before the show. Get there early so you can go down in the first tour. After the tour, you are allowed to go to your seats. As for the tour, very interesting and beautiful. But wear comfortable shoes. You will have to climb stairs and walk on a gravel road. The concessions are basic: sodas, hotdogs, BBQ sandwiches, chips and candy. They are not disappointing, especially after the tour. You will need a jacket. They say that it stays 56 degrees year round, but it felt colder. We will definitely go back. After all, where can you listen to a concert in a cave?

Visited March 2014
2 Thank lgarner110809

Aiken, South Carolina, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Went in 2013, enjoyed it so much we booked all three days of the taping in 2014!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Really, one of the most unique and intimate music venues out there. Musicians and fans alike have this on their bucket list. We went in March of 2013 and got to see Old crow Medicine Show, Andrew Byrd, Johnnyswim, and the Steeldrivers. The format of featuring four different acts each day for the taped shows allows you to really sample different music and broaden your horizons. We loved it so much, we booked for the entire 2014 weekend as soon as it became available. I'm bringing my 9 year old son along as this is a family friendly environment and a truly great place to see live music and experience a unique concert environment.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Ralph M
NC
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Bumped”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

At Christmas 0f 2013, my fiance bought tickets for me and her brother for a March 9, 2014 show. Today we were informed that we had been "bumped". I don't know how they can do this unless someone with more power or money wanted our seats. They said if we rescheduled they would throw in a tour of the caverns. I have already scheduled time off at work and I was truly excited about going. All the shows that weekend are sold out, and there is no one in April that I want to see. What kind of business would do this?

Visited February 2014
7 Thank sidek1277
New York City, New York
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Put this on your Bucket List!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We drove the short 1 hour beautiful drive from Chattanooga to Cumberland Caverns this past weekend for our first visit to Bluegrass Underground. Until we saw the PBS special a few weeks ago we hadn't ever heard of it! This is a must see! if you are within a 2 hour drive it's worth the detour. Put this on your Bucket List! Really, how often do you get to enjoy an incredible Bluegrass show 333 feet below ground in a gorgeous cave?

But, Don't let that scare you. I am very claustrophobic and can't visit the nearby Ruby Falls because I am told there is a tiny elevator you must take to get down to the falls. This is nothing like that. You get to casually walk through the very wide opening of the cave and before you know it, you are there. The area where the concert is held is very large. I would guess that there were around 500 people at the concert this weekend. It was sold out and people were begging for tickets on BGU facebook page.

This venue allows you to bring your own food and drinks. Many people had picnic baskets. They also have a concession area with BBQ sandwiches, Chili, Nachos, Hotdogs, Drinks, etc.. to enjoy. You can also bring your camera and take all the photos you want. You can get up and down and dance in the aisles if you feel like it. It's very laid back and I dont think there's a bad seat in the house. There's a beautiful Chandelier hanging above that gives just the right light and the temperature stays 58 degrees year round so bring a light jacket if you're cold natured. You also might want to bring a cushion for the seat if hard seats bother you. And I would suggest jeans and tennis shoes or boots. The cave floor of course is packed dirt and at the last portion of the walk down it is quite steep and sandals may not give you the traction you need. I do not believe the concert room is handicap accessible. There is an upper area where you can see and hear the concert but it is still quite a walk to that area.

The cost was very reasonable and the concert was right at 3 hours long. You do need to arrive about 45 minutes early just to have time to park, get your armband, walk through the cave, etc.. before the music begins. They open the doors one hour before the show begins. Also, remember that they are on Central Time. (something we forgot). And, don't plan to go early and eat anywhere nearby because there was absolutely nothing nearby that we could find, even in McMinnville. The Saturday we were there, everything was closed in town. We had planned to eat at a local BBQ place but they had decided to not open that day. It's a tiny little town, but has been well preserved.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank allovertheworldnback
Cookeville, Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Wish there was actual Bluegrass!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We just went yesterday. The venue is absolutely gorgeous. The cave is so neat and it's just really a one of a kind place. It was also nice to get away from the stifling humidity outside.

As for the acts, it was Carrie Rodriguez and Chip Taylor aka James Voight. I so little of the music. Only *ONE* song was even remotely close to bluegrass! Had we known who was playing beforehand, we may have not gone. I didn't mind most of Carrie's music, but Chip was so long winded and way too Americana for my tastes. Didn't really live up to the hype.

Hoping that I get to go again with some good, old fashioned bluegrass music. If they can't deliver that every once in a while, perhaps they should change the name to "Random Americana/Folk/Country Underground".

Visited July 2013