“Value for money”
Review of Claymore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arrochar
Claymore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Arrochar
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Just returned from a Monday to Friday National Holidays tour. We really enjoyed this trip as we had an excellent driver named Les. He was not only very knowledgable about the local area he also had a great wit and humour. As it turned out he also had a good singing voice and entertained with a few jokes on stage the first night.
The hotel was very comfortable and clean. My wife is an ex head housekeeper having worked at some top hotels and believe me she can be very critical, but despite running her finger along ledges etc. she was happy with the cleanliness. The food was good and the waiting staff went the extra mile to please. All of the staff at the hotel seemed happy and this was reflected in the way they dealt with guests. We were lucky to be at he hotel for Burns Night as we enjoyed the piping in of the haggis and it tasted pretty good too. Excellent location on the banks of Loch Long and the free bar means that you don't have to spend a great deal which is an added bonus. All in all, a very enjoyable stay so congratulations to all concerned and especially to Les the National Holidays coach driver.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of the loch are the best
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alan C

Reviewed 23 January 2012

from start to finish great value ,fantastic food - and as much as you want .entertainment was second to none , the duty manager - Elaine I think - really set the tone for our break - come on General Manager - give her a rise - in fact give all youyr staff a rise - they thoroughly deserve it ,The viewas of Loch Long are truly amazing .I would definately recomend the Claymore to anyone .........good luck to you all and Im sure my wife and I will return as soon as possible....many thanks to all the staff up there....... ....

Room Tip: all rooms ok
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Bernie E
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Just got back from 3 day break with national holidays and stayed at Claymore.So pleased the reviews on here didn't put me off. Think people need to remember how much they are paying and what they get in return for that price.And also remember when the hotel was built 1697 and new part 1997.
We were there in the storms that hit all of scotland bad(understatement).And yes coz of the flat roofs it did leak in but not once did we get wet inside or get cold, the heater in our room 513 wasnever off, lovely and warm when got there and stayed that way the whole time.
Yes the hotel needs some work but I can say we had a lovely break,only bad side was the weather.

Food and drink:-breakfast fresh juice,different cerals,full english toast tea/coffee 8-9am
dinner 3 different starters ,4 mains to choose from and also 4 different desserts 6-7pm

tea and coffee in room
free bar from 7.30 to 10.30
entertainment every evening
coach travel everyday to see all the sights
People should try chilling out and enjoy

Going back in the spring for sure and going for the 5 days 3 days not long enough

Room Tip: Pay the small extra for a room with a view even in the storms was breath taking
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Alison S
Reviewed 5 January 2012

having just returned from a three day holiday with national holidays to the claymore hotel my advice is DONT GO if you are expecting a 5* holiday if thats what you expect pay 5* prices if you want a cheap holiday with decent food acceptable rooms and brilliant staff then book up.

the journey to the hotel was a nightmare roads closed and total chaos all the way up, our driver peter was absolutely brilliant kept us informed all the way told us how he was going to divert and we came up via edinburgh to glasgow the best views i have seen as we travelled through the scottish borders he tried to make us laugh as the coach was blown about even though it was clear he was concerned as to wether we would get there or what time it would take his sense of humor might not be everyones cup of tea but we found it the best and we loved it when he told us that the roads were closed and was not going to sit there depressed and keep it to himself...well done.

on arrival at the hotel we were greeted by elaine the head receptionist who was polite and informed us as to what the procedures were in the hotel for dining and rooms and free bar etc. the room we had was ok I've been in better but again for what we paid no complaints.

dinner was a bit chaotic mainly caused by elaine not letting the restaurant manager monica seat us, as she tried to help but made things worse.. word of advice is stay in reception next time please.

the restaurant staff were very good polite friendly and very professional… a word to future travelers is they are from a different country not idiots as some of my fellow travelers treat them. our waiter was hungarian and very nice. not sure if it was his real name mate..

the day out was to calendar and trossaks how peter drove that coach on them roads i don't know, because of the conditions trees blown down all over we also went to helenburg because there were places to keep dry and more shops than calendar we understood that peter was struggling to find somewhere for us but still some people were moaning. we returned to the hotel at about 3.30

dinner at 6 was acceptable and a lot more organized than the previous night not sure how much the chef cooks or just warms thing up but it was ok.

the hotel has entertainment i was told every night which is a bonus, again if you want a top cabaret star pay for one but we enjoyed his music and singing, the man on reception looked a bit depressed and miserable but i found out later this was the manager called ronnie bet he had a busy christmas and new year sat behind the desk (joking)

all in all we had a great time and really got more than we actually paid for less than £100. can i just add that instead of reviewing the hotel we should review our fellow travelers, i was sat to a man from hull i think who bragged he had drank over £35s worth of drink each night and only paid £139 for the holiday excuse me 4 nights dinner B&B plus 12 hours free bar he owes national holidays and the hotel money,oh and a packed lunch one day…….

well done national holidays and the claymore…. talk about brits abroad try brits in britain.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank embarassedNewcastle
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Its a great place if you are a smoker. My room which was a tiny single, old fashioned and depressing room stunk of stale cigarettes. I was told it was a room used by coach drivers who put a sock over the smoke alarm and smoked in there. The housekeeper thought spraying some air freshener round would make it better but she doesn't realise the furniture - such as it was - and carpet and ill fitting curtains were impregnated with the stink of stale smoke. Also the springs were sticking up through the mattress and on day three I complained and within five minutes the mattress was in a skip next to the hotel and I had another one on. To get out of the building you needed to get past a barrage of desperate smokers and the stink of their fags!
People were hanging out of their bedroom windows at night smoking even though they were told it is a non smoking hotel. Pathetic creatures!!

Room Tip: Don't go in a single room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank LoughboroughCaz
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I cannot understand the bad reviews, although when we were there we did hear some moans from people, mainly about their rooms being small. My Partner and I could not fault the Claymore, we went over the Christmas period and enjoyed every moment of our stay there, our room was 515 with a view over the loch which I paid a little extra for with National Holidays, the only thing I can say we missed was a shower, as there was only a bath, so enquired at reception and asked for a showerhead, which did the job O.K. The food we found excellent, we dined in the small dinning room as aposed to the large one, our waiter was great and very efficient and hard working. The entertainment was good also, we could not fault our holiday at the Claymore. O.K. its an old building, I have stayed in some great hotels around the world, and on reading some of the reviews before we went I was ready to expect a faulty towers kind of a place, but I need not to have worried as I said our stay was excellent, I am hoping to go to the Claymore later in the year as I want to take my Grandson to the Edingburgh tattoo`s I will have no worries staying there again even if I get a small room, as lets face it you dont stay in your room all day, we were out and about on the tours etc. Well done Claymore and National Holidays. Oh must not forget our driver Les who was fantastic, and a mind of information. We found the Claymore tried to make the Christmas atmosphere great and succeeded. Well done.

Room Tip: Higher floors with a view of the Loch
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Susan R
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Firstly the location is beautiful and for what we paid for three nights it did offer good value, however you do get what you pay for!

The rooms were poor the hotel on a whole is in urgent need of a full refurbishment. The food was edible and the free bar was an added bonus however when you purchased drinks outside the free bar period be prepared! I am not sure if one of those natural springs’ flows into the cellar has I have not seen so much alcohol consumed and not a drunk in sight!

Overall this hotel does offer good value for money, however as with anything you get what you pay for the facilities and overall standard of the hotel is poor, this hotel could be beautiful with its stunning location. If it’s just a base you’re looking for and travelling on a budget it is ideal if you prefer a bit of comfort and luxury this isn’t the place for you.

Room Tip: No lifts to higher levels, dont forget to order on of those shower hoses for the bath taps as there...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank OurFamily_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrochar
Arrochar Hotel
Bay Tarbet Hotel
Bay Tarbet Hotel
#1 of 1 in Tarbet
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Claymore Hotel? Share your experiences!