“Amazing!”
Review of Claymore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arrochar
Claymore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Arrochar
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Just got back today from my second stay at the Claymore on a 4 day break with National Holidays and I still love it as much as I did the first time, maybe more. I can't really complain about anything. My room was great, stunning views of course. The food was lovely, the portion sizes could be a little larger but I didn't go hungry at all, the service is really, really fast. All staff in the hotel are really really friendly. Some of the staff were different this time to those that were there back in October 2011 when I came the first time but they were still very pleasant. The entertainment was great. Last time I came during the week but this time it was a weekend stay so I got to see the other half of what the hotel has to offer - it didn't disappoint! The drinks package was more than ample for myself and the person I came with.

I sincerely hope that people won't listen to the bad reviews on here and instead give the Claymore a chance to surprise them. You won't be disappointed I can assure you. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will be doing so should anyone ask me in the future. I hope to return to the hotel at some point too. Hopefully the standards will be just as high then as they are now.

Thank you to all the staff there for making my stay so enjoyable. See you in the future.

X

Room Tip: If you struggle with stairs ask for a room on the bottom floor as there is no elevator.
2  Thank Claire W
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Many thanks for your great comments on trip adviser.
You are so right , the staff at the hotel are friendly, efficient and they take great pleasure in making sure all the guests have an enjoyable and memorable stay.
Your comments will certainly be passed on to all the staff.
I hope to welcome you back to the Claymore hotel in the future.
Many thanks again.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

My friend and I have just returned from a 4 day break which included a day in Edinburgh, an evening at the Tatto and 3 nights staying in the Claymoor hotel at Arrochar. Well where do i start! we shared a twin room, My friends bed had a dip in the middle, everytime she moved it made noises and the springs hurt her back.She ended up folding the throw on her bed and using it to sleep on. The double wardrobe only had one sliding door which wasn't attached to the runners. there wasn't a shower in the bathroom, they had shower hose attachments at the reception. There was a fowl smell coming from the sink and bath which drifted into the bedroom if the door wasnt closed. unfortunately the window had been opened and wouldn't close so we had all sorts of flying insects getting in. The food wasn't very nice, at breakfast the eggs were like rubber with hard yolks and the evening meals were just OK. I must add however that the staff were lovely and the views were stunning. I wonder if they use these poor standard rooms just for Coach tours and save the better standard rooms for higher paying guests ?

1  Thank Indicator69

Many thanks for your review on trip adviser.
I 'm sorry that your stay at the Claymore hotel was disappointing and did not live up to your expectations.
We have a vast amount of rooms and are constantly updating and renovating the accommodation. I can only apologise regarding the mattress and the room issues and wish you had mentioned this to the management team during your stay.
We very rarely get complaints about the food at the hotel but I will pass your comments regarding the breakfast and evening meal on to the Head Chef.
I hope that you return to the Claymore hotel in the future.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

I had read most of the reviews for this hotel and we decided to make our own minds up the setting was beautiful , could not have asked for better views, I agree the hotel is tired but the bedding and towels were very clean we had plenty of hot water. The food was good and the staff in the dining room were very pleasant and worked hard, we had 4 free drinks per night and a glass of wine with dinner, great value for money we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves . we would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulettaCottingahm

Many thanks for your review on trip adviser.
The hotel does offer great value for money and I'm glad pleased that this was recognised in your comments.
I hope that you enjoyed your stay at the Claymore and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel while doing a 4night stay with National Holidays.

I had read a few reviews before we left but not too sure what to expect. The hotel is on Loch Long and it is beautiful,when you look out of the main hotel door all you are met with is the beautiful loch and surrounding hills.

The bedrooms are very basic but clean and to think you only sleep in them, i would advise if you prefer shower to a bath i would mention this at the time of booking.

The staff were very friendly and the meals were nice. At night time we were entertained by a singer, comedian and bingo.

Room Tip: Request a room with a shower if you prefer these to a bath because not all rooms have one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Many thanks for your comments on trip adviser.
We do try to offer great vlaue for money and I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I hope to welcome you back to the Claymore hotel in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

I have just returned from a 5 day break with National Holidays. We had a brilliant time at this hotel. The rooms are not 5star hotel standard but were clean and very comfortable, what more does anybody need, the only downside is there was no shower in the bathroom, but that is a minor thing. The staff were all very friendly and helpfull. The food was delicious, especially the haggis on the last evening, compliments to the chef. A good choice on the menu and good portion sizes. Great value for money with the four free drinks every night, even on the evening when we went to the tattoo the bar stayed open for our return at 1 in the morning! The entertainment was good, especially our driver Les! The location and views from the hotel were amazing. We will definately return.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of the loch
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandra400_4

Many thanks for your comments on trip adviser.
National holidays offer great value for money and it's nice to see it recognised here.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at the Claymore Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Many thanks again,

Reviewed 9 August 2012

We went with National Holidays on a 3 night trip to see the Edinburgh Tattoo. The value for money was outstanding. Travel, accommodation, breakfast, 3 course evening meal, 4 free drinks included and entrance into the Tattoo. All for £199 each. You couldn't do it cheaper if you tried. The hotel was good. The rooms were cleaned daily, the food was lovely and the service was great. The evening entertainment wasn't that good though haha. Overall I would give the hotel 4/5. After reading other reviews on this site, I'm shocked and the fact that people expect 5* for little money causing them to leave horrid reviews it's not nice! If you want 5* hotels pay 5* prices. You guys at Claymore did a fantastic job. One thing that surprised me was, when I asked for room prices, as I wanted to take my wife there for our anniversary, I got told I can only book through National Holidays. I was hoping to drive up and have that little bit more freedom on our anniversary.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank GazzT
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Many thanks for your comments on trip adviser.
I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay at the Claymore hotel and I'll certainly pass on your comments to all the staff in the hotel..
Both National Holidays and the Claymore hotel pride themselves inn offering great value for money and its great to see it recognised here.
I can inform you that all our bookings are made through National holidays and booking a self drive trip can be done although the booking still has to through National.
All you do is inform them that you are driving by car and turn up at the hotel on the date of arrival.
You are then able to travel on any of the coach trips available and also have the convenience of travelling around on your own if you wish.
I hope this information is useful to you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Claymore hotel.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

This was our second visit to this hotel. The first visit was amazing the room was lovely, the food was nice and the staff were friendly.
This visit was terrible we went away for my mums birthday. The food was crap and we were unable to eat it so my stepdad nearly went into a diabetic coma. When we asked to change the food the waiter refused. The food tasted off and made us feel sick.
The bedroom looked more like a garden shed and had holes all over it, the window had a big metal bar across it so would not open. The bedding had not been washed and changed from the previous visitors. We were there for three nights and had no sleep as we could hear noise coming from all over and people slamming doors and shouting down the corridors throughout the night. When we asked if we could swap rooms even if we had to pay for it we were told the hotel was fully booked.
The so called free drinks were not free we had to pay for J20 and they did not sell cordial or anything which was not fizzy.
We just cannot believe this is the same hotel we have visited before, it has changed from being a great hotel to become the worst hotel I have ever been to and I will never go back there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Claire S

Many thanks for your comments on trip adviser.
I'm sorry that you were disappointed when you returned to the Claymore hotel and I shall endeavour to answer some of the issues that you have raised.
The food at the hotel is of a high standard and at no time during your stay were there any complaints about any of the meals. You mention that your stepfather would have become ill had he not eaten.This would have been very serious.
At no point was this matter brought to the attention of the management.
All the staff are extremely courteous and I find it very hard to believe that the waiter concerned refused to change your meal.
The metal bar across the window is actually a length of wood placed there for your safety and does not deter you from opening the window in any way.
The bedding in the rooms is changed when new guests arrive and at no time is there bedding left in the room from the previous occupants. No hotel in this day and age would operate in this manner.
The time that you stayed at the hotel was particularly busy and room changes were impossible to implement.
The bay inclusive drinks selection consists of a vast array of soft drinks, beers and spirits. There are a number of soft drinks available including cordials, lime,blackcurrant, orange etc . There are also fruit juices available too.
There is an upgrade available for some bottled soft drinks and these cost 50p. This includes the J20 that you mentioned.
I hope that this answers the points that you raised and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Claymore hotel in the future.
Gary Watson.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrochar
Arrochar Hotel
#1 of 1 in Tarbet
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond

Been to Claymore Hotel? Share your experiences!