“You get more than what you pay for.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Claymore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arrochar
Claymore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Arrochar
Melbourn, United Kingdom
“You get more than what you pay for.”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Hard to know what to review, the hotel or the holiday experience. We went there on a National Holidays 'Turkey and Tinsel'.
This included, bus journey from Bridlington and back, 3 days bed, breakfast and evening meal, 2 day long excursions to nearby towns and 4 drink tokens per person per night!!
And all this for £99!!!
As this will be on the hotels site I will write about the hotel itself.
The hotel is beautifully situated next to Loch Long with amazing views. The staff are mainly Eastern European which is the norm wherever you go and they are all very polite, helpful and charming. Our waitress throughout was Adrienne who was a delight, she welcomed us with a smile at every meal and our meals were at our table literally within seconds of ordering.
The meals were what you would expect for the money paid and more, there was a choice of full breakfast or kippers, full range of cereals etc and the evening meal was three courses of hot tasty wholesome food, I couldn't complain about any of it.
The rooms were adequate, a little tired yes but no complaints for the price, very few rooms have showers, but you could get an attachment for your bath.
All in all I loved my stay at the Claymore and will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the Loch and with a shower if you prefer.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank global-gypsies
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
What a great title you have put for your review.
I couldn't say it better myself.
Gary Watson.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
Hornsea
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Just arrived back from a 4 day visit courtesy of National Holidays. I was very sceptical about this trip due to the negative comments on trip advisor, but I do like to form my own opinion. We were not disappointed, this is a lovely hotel, the rooms was clean bed was comfortable, the food was lovely, staff were fantastic. I know that National Holidays tend to attract older folk well I am 58 still young at heart, and I really enjoyed this break. Our driver Richard was first class, the outings to Callander and Oban where lovely, yes it rained lots but what the hell it is Scotland. I would definitely go back four days was not enough, and congratulations to National Holiday for a wonderful break.

Room Tip: We paid a little extra for a scenic room overlooking the loch, most rooms have bath only but if you...
3 Thank Lyn A
How great it is to read a positive, complimentary review.
Don't make it too long before you return!
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Like many others we took advantage of the breaks National Holidays offer, we paid £99 each for 3 nights (don't fall for the 4 days spiel, you are spending the best part of the first and last day on the coach) but I know many on our coach paid an astonishing £79, I'm not going to moan because that is the crux of the matter. No matter what you feel about the Claymore the price and the hotels location make it astounding value.

Because of the time of year I didn't request a room with a view, I couldn't see the point as it was going to be dark all the time we was in the room, we were allocated room 7. The room was pretty small but it was over the dining area I believe so there was no noise from anywhere on a night time. I found the bed incredibly comfortable and had 3 cracking night's sleep. The TV was a really old CRT portable jobbie and had only 4 snowy and crackly channels, a bit poor in these digital times. The main problem with the room is a lack of a shower, we had mixer taps so we didn't even have one of the rubber shove on type of shower heads so washing your hair becomes a bit of a song and dance. The room was clean and the bedding was spotless, the duvet was adequately warm enough but a fleece throw was also provided just in case. The decor is tired but so will you be and you won't really notice it.

When you go for your first meal you are allocated a table and that is then yours for the duration of your stay, the food is pretty good however the portion size is small if you like a lot on your plate. I found it was enough to make me comfortable, however people in the dining room were asking for extras on their plates and no objections were ever raised, the staff bent over backwards at every request or demand made on them, they were real gems, all of them. My only thought was something like a chips and beans option should be available, you don't always want meat and two veg do you.

The entertainment was great and varied but getting a table in the lovely cosy bar or the entertainment room is a bit of a bun fight and believe you me your going to be social even if you don't want to, sardines in a can comes to mind.

Biggest bugbear for me was the smoking in the one and only entrance, going in or out of the hotel you have no choice but to walk through the group of people puffing away, I have no objection to people smoking but I don't want to have to walk though it either.

All in all I loved the place, just remember if you find something you aren't too happy with just go look out the door or a window, you will soon forget it.

2 Thank UTO1867
What a detailed, informative, descriptive review you have written!
Now all we need to know is - when are you are returning? Soon I hope!
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

just got back from a four day trip with national holidays to this hotel and i cant fault it and dont know how they do it at the price, we were all inclusive and thought they would use cheap brands and cut back on food,how wrong was i the food was varied and plentiful and excellent, drinks were of good quality and the entertainment was really good,would recommend this trip to all.

3 Thank jc11_13
Many thanks for your comments on trip adviser.
Its great to see good value recognised here - and of course we all do our best to make sure that your stay is enjoyable and memorable!
Blyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Just returned from a pre-Christmas break. The Hotel is beautifully situated with fantastic views; the staff welcoming, friendly with an ‘old fashioned sense of customer service & experience. The building is full of character & in need of updating / modernisation. Due to the limited available space in the bar & function room, you had to decide during evening meal where you wanted to be for the remainder of the evening as once you vacated the table it was quickly taken. My wife likened it to a school trip being ‘shepherded about’ or rushing meals to try & get a good location for the evening. The restaurant was waiter service – so no carrying meals. My wife liked the food & portion size, I found the selection to be of good standard if slightly basic & small portion sizes. Ideal for smaller appetites’.
The room we had was in serious need of being updated – I suspect it was last updated in the 80’s it would have been lovely then. The bathroom had no shower or shower curtain; the loaned shower attachment inevitably sprayed a lot of water into the bathroom. The window was tiny, not noticed really as such short days meant the curtains were closed anyway. I suspect the mattresses may have been from the last updating. I could feel the springs, no sign of a duvet, only blankets. The old-style TV took up most of the table, without remote.
Overall we both enjoyed the trip – the scenery & staff were fantastic.

1 Thank Jeffrey L
Many thanks for your review on trip adviser.
Your comments are noted and where possible improvements will be made.
I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you return to stay with us again.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

just arrived back at FGP having spent 3nights at this hotel.having lived in Scotland for a few years I decided to go back after 40 yrs to see how things have altered.the trips from the hotel on our national bus were very good.the hotel was excellent value for money and the staff were first class.the waitress who served my table(forgot her name)but table 14,she was very professional and a lovely person.she could not do enough for you.the rooms were very clean and ok for the money paid.would go back again anytime.being a single traveller I found the people very friendly.so thank you again to the lovely waitress and all the staff at the claymore.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Mick S
Many thanks for your nice comments.
I will make sure your comments get passed on the relevant departments.
Come back again soon.
Regards,
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at The Claymore Hotel,to celebrate our Ruby Wedding Anniversary.there was a party of 41 of us,family and friends and we all had a wonderful time.We were very well looked after by all the staff,and the food was excellent.The hotel is situated in a
marvellous location,which more than compensates for the rather dated decor, and lack of showers in the majority of the bedrooms.Everyone on the trip has said that they would definately return to the hotel.Work on upgrading the rooms has started already,so hopefully in the future,all rooms will have showers and a more modern feel.

Room Tip: h upgrading for a view of the loch.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank blackpooldiner
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Many thanks for your review on trip adviser.
I'm so glad that you enjoyed your weekend with us at the Claymore Hotel.
We all hope that you come back again and stay with us soon.
Regards,
Gary Watson.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrochar
Loch Long Hotel
#1 of 1 in Tarbet
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel

Been to Claymore Hotel? Share your experiences!