“very disappointing”
Review of Claymore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arrochar
Claymore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Arrochar
Leicester, United Kingdom
“very disappointing”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Having visited this hotel in June with my husband which is a treat for myself after my exam. Weather was absolutely fine during our stay. Normally I seldom write any review as I am busy and English is not my first language. We didn’t expect first class reception, but on the first day we arrived the hotel, my husband has to help elderly people carrying luggage to upper floor as lift is not available. We were the younger one compared with the other but we were allocated room 316, which looked like basement room with window opening to wasteland. I could smell the damp. The bathroom with no shower attachment and I found it awkward as I like my daily shower. The first night we went to bed early after a long journey. The following morning I found a lot of small flies in our bathroom which I didn’t take much notice. The horror came on the second night when we woke up by alarm ringing at 12.30 am. My husband opened the window and has a look. As the alarm rang for a while and we decided to go out and were told it was alright to go back to our room. We couldn’t go back to sleep straight away and could feel insect biting us. We were horrified when we switched the light on and found the whole wall and ceiling was covered with small flies. My husband kept waving his arm as there were too many small insects flying around us. At the end, my husband has to get up again and went to reception to complain in the hope they can change a room for us as we really couldn’t sleep. The first thing the receptionist did was picking up a bottle of spray selling for £4.99 and told my husband to buy it to beat the midges (this is the first time I learnt the word midges and it was not a good experience). My husband refused to buy it. The receptionist came to our room have a look and agreed there were a lot of midges flying around but he couldn’t do much apart from telling us to go to see the manager the following morning, there was nothing he can do about room changing. The following morning, manager was not available and we waited till the afternoon and talked to the manager, as expected we were told they couldn’t do much apart from asking us whether we have opened our window and switched on the light. So it is our fault that our room attract midges as we open the window for some fresh air. Both I and my husband never enjoy night entertainment and we prefer to stay in our room to watch TV and do some reading. Can you imagine for the rest of our stay in the hotel, we dared not to open our window and we dared not to have night on? We stayed in the hotel for 5 days in middle of June, temperature must be at least 25 degree and we couldn’t open our window for some fresh air. Mind you there is no air conditioning in the hotel. We were told midges are always a problem but it doesn’t help us feel better as they can have insect mesh to cover the window. It is the problem the hotel management should sort out not the problem of customers. Another problem is there is not wifi in our rooms but wifi is available in reception. I need to sit in the reception area to go online with my ipad, I felt uncomfortable as the sofa in reception area covered with pet hairs. I felt more uncomfortable when I saw the cats keep scratching themselves. I thought no matter how people love pet, it is unhygienic to keep pets in the hotels and let them lying on the sofa, chairs etc..

Room Tip: bring spray to beat the midges and bring your own shower attachment if you only like to have a showe...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mariamaria78
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thanks for your review on trip adviser.
I must comment on some of the points you have raised in your review:
As we have no lift all guests are informed (while still on the coach) that help is available upon check in. Other guests are not expected to help carry bags but it was kind of your husband to offer so thank you.
The room you were allocated looks on to a small courtyard along with several other rooms.
There is no shower in that room but as you said you were given a shower attachment which enables you to wash your hair.
Another item that is mentioned to all guests on arrival is that the west of Scotland is plagued by the midgie. All guests are told to keep their windows closed but in hot weather if windows are open the lights must be off as this will attract the midgies even more.
I believe you did the complete opposite - window open and lights on.
I am at a loss when we give out information for guests benefit and it is completely disregarded.
You did ask to change rooms the next day but we were fully occupied and no other rooms were available and what made you think other rooms were different from yours?
The pet hairs on the sofa are cleaned off when required and it may have been an oversight on our behalf so please accept our apologies.
Regards,
Gary Watson.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
stockton on tees
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here for 1 night(my dad was ill and I had to bring him home)The hotel is stunning with superb views of Loch long,the food was excellent,the staff could not do enough for me and my dad,the rooms were adequate but could do with a lick of paint,overall I would recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kaydan49
I'm so pleased that your father was able to travel home with you and you returned home safely.
I hope that you are both able to return and have a longer stay next time.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We travelled to this hotel with National Holidays. The weather on the way up was awful but changed to glorious for Saturday and Sunday. The hotel while in need of refurbishment was comfortable, the food good and plentiful. rooms clean and the staff very welcoming although English was not the first language of most of the waiting on staff. We paid a supplement for a scenic view and were given room 6 which had no shower and we had to get an attachment from reception. This was not very practical as I prefer a shower to a bath when only away for a couple of days. The views over the lake were amazing even until 10.30 at night but of course the midges were out in force then.

Room Tip: check with hotel first
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CATHERINE W
So pleased to read that you enjoyed your weekend break.
As you mentioned we do have terrific views over Loch Long and yes the midgies are very irritating. We hope for warm breezy days which keeps the midgies away!
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Me & my wife have just spent 3 days (3rd-5th/07/2014) here & we will be going back, the food was very good served with a smile with good choices on menu. Rooms are a little outdated & could do with freshening up. But they are clean next time we go it will be a room with a view of the loch. The views outside are fantastic midge spray is essential overhaul you get what you pay for so don't expect 5 star. Entertainment is just about OK nothing to get excited about.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the loch would be good.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Derrick S
Thanks for your review on trip adviser.
It's nice to read that you will returning to stay with us again. We must be doing something right!
Thanks again.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We travelled with National Coach holidays and found this very good value for money. The hotel itself is old and could do with a bit of modernising especially in the bedrooms which were basic and small. However the food was really good and the staff were exceptional. The manager has this hotel running perfectly and really deserves a mention. The dining room staff are very efficient, polite and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. I must mention Kim who was our waitress and such a nice girl. The bar staff also work very hard and as they are all so good I could not single any out. There was also entertainment in the evenings which was quite good. All in all a very good hotel which would benefit from a little money spent on it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view over the loch.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lulu180453
Many thanks for your comments on trip adviser.
How nice that you entitled your review "Value for money".
That is exactly what we want people to get and we deliver every time.
Thanks again and I hope that you return soon.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Having visited this hotel on quite a few occasions..my mam and myself were quite disappointed with this hotel. When we booked..I requested a lower floor. Biggest mistake I made. We were allocated room 318 and as we were walking along the passage, you could smell the damp. When we opened the door to our room..it was smelling strongly of foist. As I has a air freshner with me in my bag,we said that as we were only there a couple of nights we could persevere with it. The next morning when I went to get ready..my clothes were damp from out of the wardrobe. There was a problem. The hotel itself is old and is in need of a good refurbishment. The food was of good quality and the staff were good. The entertainment was good. Your singing receptionist Elaine who could sing almost anything.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank marie c
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
I'm sorry to read that you were disappointed with your room at the Claymore Hotel.
Many issues can be resolved while you are staying at the hotel.
Had this been brought to our attention we would have moved you to another room.
We are embarking on a refurbishment plan for many bedrooms of which will include this room.
On another note, I'm delighted you enjoyed our singing receptionist Elaine.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Visited here in 2013 and the hotel was about what you'd expect from the National Holidays coach trip. The hotel is pleasant and basic with friendly hardworking staff. Its charm is quaint and very old-fashioned. Food is plain, honest and satisfying. Arrochar is a beautiful place and the view from this hotel is really quite something to behold. Explore the are and a boat trip on the Lochs is time well spent.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your comments on trip adviser.
The Claymore Hotel offers great value for money with fast efficient service in a friendly atmosphere.
Come back and stay with us again soon.
Gary Watson.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrochar
Loch Long Hotel
#1 of 1 in Tarbet
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel
Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Been to Claymore Hotel? Share your experiences!