“Warm”
Review of Claymore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arrochar
Claymore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Arrochar
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Upon arriving this is a lovely looking hotel with some Verry nice views, staff are excellent, especially our waitress Barbara, food was great. Lack of in room wi-fi was a bit of a pain. Only down side was if like me you dont like to be to warm, you cant have the window open for fear of a swarm of Midgys attacking you. Also we must of been near the boiler room which sounded like a boeing 747 coming in for landing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

I'm so pleased to read that you were delighted with the views from the hotel and that Barbara looked after you.
The free wifi in the public areas is free but to install it in the rooms would incur a small charge and the majority of guests are very happy with free wifi.
We have no boiler room to speak of as the heating is all electric so I am baffled as to what you heard?
I will listen very carefully !!!

There are newer reviews for Claymore Hotel

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Just returned from a 3 day break with National Holidays.My wife and I were a bit dubious after reading some of the reviews of the hotel.We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived ,Our driver Dave was first class. Hotel was great ,Room was fine and meals lovely, even my wife enjoyed them and she is a fussy eater,My compliments to the chef.The bar staff were very polite and friendly but I must single out our waiter Csaba, who was fantastic, Nothing was too much trouble for him and every Morning and evening he was there with a smile and friendly greeting.I don't know what he earns but he deserves double,A credit to the hotel.We will return to this hotel, but for a longer period.Views from the hotel are stunning.Thank you for a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: choose a room with a view of the loch.
6  Thank 455Alan

Many thanks for your comments on trip adviser.
Csaba will be delighted that you mentioned him.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Gary Watson

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I came with my 80 year old mother and have never known her to enjoy a holiday so much. The dining room staff were so friendly and efficient, the food was excellent in both choice, quantity and quality. My mother thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment. The coach trips took us through stunning scenery to excellent destinations and the views from the hotel over Loch Long were breathtaking. The coach was so comfortable , clean and well driven.

Wi fi in the reception area only was a bit disappointing.

The room was clean and pleasant. Mum found the three flights of steps to our room a bit difficult but manageable. We both recommend this hotel and will be returning again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mary B
Gary W, General Manager at Claymore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

I'm so pleased to read that you and your mother enjoyed your stay at the Claymore.
Wifi in the reception area is free to all guests and to install wifi in the rooms would have incurred a small charge for guests. Most guests are happy with this set up.
I hope that you both return again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We have just spent a superb weekend at The Claymore Hotel, from the moment we were picked up in Billingham until the moment we arrived back, it was fabulous. Alex the coach driver is so knowledgeable about every place on route which made the journey. The views at Hotel were breathtaking, the staff superb, especially David Walliams lookalike waiter who made meal times a pleasure.

Small room but clean and tidy and whole holiday great value for money.

Steve Wright and Denise Chapman

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sittingin

Thanks for your review on trip adviser.
So glad that you enjoyed your stay here and I hope that you return soon.
Gary Watson

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Having visited this hotel in June with my husband which is a treat for myself after my exam. Weather was absolutely fine during our stay. Normally I seldom write any review as I am busy and English is not my first language. We didn’t expect first class reception, but on the first day we arrived the hotel, my husband has to help elderly people carrying luggage to upper floor as lift is not available. We were the younger one compared with the other but we were allocated room 316, which looked like basement room with window opening to wasteland. I could smell the damp. The bathroom with no shower attachment and I found it awkward as I like my daily shower. The first night we went to bed early after a long journey. The following morning I found a lot of small flies in our bathroom which I didn’t take much notice. The horror came on the second night when we woke up by alarm ringing at 12.30 am. My husband opened the window and has a look. As the alarm rang for a while and we decided to go out and were told it was alright to go back to our room. We couldn’t go back to sleep straight away and could feel insect biting us. We were horrified when we switched the light on and found the whole wall and ceiling was covered with small flies. My husband kept waving his arm as there were too many small insects flying around us. At the end, my husband has to get up again and went to reception to complain in the hope they can change a room for us as we really couldn’t sleep. The first thing the receptionist did was picking up a bottle of spray selling for £4.99 and told my husband to buy it to beat the midges (this is the first time I learnt the word midges and it was not a good experience). My husband refused to buy it. The receptionist came to our room have a look and agreed there were a lot of midges flying around but he couldn’t do much apart from telling us to go to see the manager the following morning, there was nothing he can do about room changing. The following morning, manager was not available and we waited till the afternoon and talked to the manager, as expected we were told they couldn’t do much apart from asking us whether we have opened our window and switched on the light. So it is our fault that our room attract midges as we open the window for some fresh air. Both I and my husband never enjoy night entertainment and we prefer to stay in our room to watch TV and do some reading. Can you imagine for the rest of our stay in the hotel, we dared not to open our window and we dared not to have night on? We stayed in the hotel for 5 days in middle of June, temperature must be at least 25 degree and we couldn’t open our window for some fresh air. Mind you there is no air conditioning in the hotel. We were told midges are always a problem but it doesn’t help us feel better as they can have insect mesh to cover the window. It is the problem the hotel management should sort out not the problem of customers. Another problem is there is not wifi in our rooms but wifi is available in reception. I need to sit in the reception area to go online with my ipad, I felt uncomfortable as the sofa in reception area covered with pet hairs. I felt more uncomfortable when I saw the cats keep scratching themselves. I thought no matter how people love pet, it is unhygienic to keep pets in the hotels and let them lying on the sofa, chairs etc..

Room Tip: bring spray to beat the midges and bring your own shower attachment if you only like to have a showe...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mariamaria78

Thanks for your review on trip adviser.
I must comment on some of the points you have raised in your review:
As we have no lift all guests are informed (while still on the coach) that help is available upon check in. Other guests are not expected to help carry bags but it was kind of your husband to offer so thank you.
The room you were allocated looks on to a small courtyard along with several other rooms.
There is no shower in that room but as you said you were given a shower attachment which enables you to wash your hair.
Another item that is mentioned to all guests on arrival is that the west of Scotland is plagued by the midgie. All guests are told to keep their windows closed but in hot weather if windows are open the lights must be off as this will attract the midgies even more.
I believe you did the complete opposite - window open and lights on.
I am at a loss when we give out information for guests benefit and it is completely disregarded.
You did ask to change rooms the next day but we were fully occupied and no other rooms were available and what made you think other rooms were different from yours?
The pet hairs on the sofa are cleaned off when required and it may have been an oversight on our behalf so please accept our apologies.
Regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here for 1 night(my dad was ill and I had to bring him home)The hotel is stunning with superb views of Loch long,the food was excellent,the staff could not do enough for me and my dad,the rooms were adequate but could do with a lick of paint,overall I would recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank kaydan49

I'm so pleased that your father was able to travel home with you and you returned home safely.
I hope that you are both able to return and have a longer stay next time.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We travelled to this hotel with National Holidays. The weather on the way up was awful but changed to glorious for Saturday and Sunday. The hotel while in need of refurbishment was comfortable, the food good and plentiful. rooms clean and the staff very welcoming although English was not the first language of most of the waiting on staff. We paid a supplement for a scenic view and were given room 6 which had no shower and we had to get an attachment from reception. This was not very practical as I prefer a shower to a bath when only away for a couple of days. The views over the lake were amazing even until 10.30 at night but of course the midges were out in force then.

Room Tip: check with hotel first
3  Thank CATHERINE W

So pleased to read that you enjoyed your weekend break.
As you mentioned we do have terrific views over Loch Long and yes the midgies are very irritating. We hope for warm breezy days which keeps the midgies away!
Gary Watson.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrochar
Arrochar Hotel
#1 of 1 in Tarbet
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Lodge on Loch Lomond

Been to Claymore Hotel? Share your experiences!