“A horrible revisit to an era when single travellers were unwelcome”
Review of Loch Long Hotel

Loch Long Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Arrochar
Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
“A horrible revisit to an era when single travellers were unwelcome”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed here on a Scenic Scotland tour and made the mistake of travelling on my own. This hotel was like a timewarp to the era when single guests automatically got the worst room in the hotel and were not made welcome. The coach travel was fine, the excursions were excellent and the driver Dean clearly loved Scotland.

All was spoiled for me by the Hotel and its attitude. No friendly welcome after a 12 hour coach trip. Just a key, no instruction on how to find the room which was on the fourth floor. Didn't think much of that until I found the main staircase ended at floor three. After much wandering around I found a side staircase to the attics, which were floor four. The room itself was appalling. Cold, dark and dingy. This floor was above the main heating system so it had an feeble electric heater, not turned on, so a cold welcome. It was shabby, a ripped curtain and a broken springed bed Little natural light as the only window faced a earth bank behind the hotel. Only good point, it was clean. It was like a poor quality boarding house, twenty years ago. This sort of room is why chain hotels have taken over.

Going down to the dining room the timewarp continued. I was directed to a shared table, with a group who did not want to share. I then managed to move tables, only to get a member of staff trying to move me back again. Embarrassing and again from an era when women did not travel alone, or if they did, expected to be badly treated and usually were. The food was quantity over quality, but adequate. Many dishes were poorly presented, curry with boiled potatoes and carrots? Banana split with one small slice of banana?

The holiday was cheap and in the quality of the hotel it showed. Other guests, who had rooms on the main floors had heating and good facilities. I just got sick of having to struggle with everything and felt the staff attitudes poor.

Another point was fire safety. One staircase to the attic, no fire exit signed and a sliding door across the staircase outside my room, which slid shut noisily and frequently.As it claimed to be automatic.I had visions of being trapped on such an isolated floor in an emergency situation.

Much of this was thoughtlessness by the hotel staff. On your own you do not want to be placed in an attic. Many things that would have been shrugged off on their own, but on the whole made a ruined holiday. It was a shame, as Scotland is beautiful and I would like to return in better circumstances. The excursion programme was in a different class, well organised and efficient.

Room Tip: Avoid the fourth floor. The single rooms in this hotel are totally inadequate by any modern standard...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
14 Thank terrier871

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My first visit to Scotland and my how I loved it! The hotel, though the oldest of the seven hotels owned by Lochs and Glens was clean and tidy and nicely carpeted and the staff was very helpful and smartly dressed. The food was wholesome and tasty and, although small portions you were invited just to ask for more if desired. We never needed to as portion sizes were just right for us. Our room was very small but adequate, with a lovely ensuite. We had a great view over the loch. Our driver, Chris, was great. He made every effort to make our break memorable and gave informative commentary during excursions but not so much as to addle our brains. Thank you Chris! Cost wise the break was excellent value and we intend to go with Lochs and Glens on a regular basis in the future. We were shown some of theirs other hotels and were very impressed.

4 Thank Anne D
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Another of the Lochs and Glens owned hotel, this is the first in their portfolio. We have been twice and thoroughly enjoyed both occasions. When choosing a Lochs and Glens holiday, the excursions need to be taken into consideration, this the main criteria for the choice of hotel. Fortunately, on dates we were looking to book, the day trips included gave us the opportunity to visit different places and so Loch Long was the venue for the second time. Our double room was spacious, clean and very comfortable, the only reason the wife's sleep is disturbed is because of my snoring !!!. The rooms could do with a bit of TLC, but it is their oldest and with a new hotel now built (Ardgarten), just a few miles away it has to be questionable as to how much longer both of them will continue to be used as hotels. However, the food is of excellent quality, varied each day with choices of starter mains and sweet. Portions possibly a tad on the small size for those with a large appetite, but I have had no problem with requests for additional vegetable. There are breakfast choices also, and to date I have always opted for the full Scottish which sets me up for the day. The bar is reasonably priced, there is nightly entertainment (although not to my taste) and separate areas for those that want their peace and quiet. The staff are polite and helpful and overall it is a very welcoming experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alan B
Reviewed 27 April 2013

For anyone who hasn't visited Scotland or The Highlands etc, like ourselves, this Lochs & Glens Coach break was excellent.
We arrived at Loch Long Hotel & were delighted with the view from our room overlooking the Loch & Mountains, the room itself was very clean, nicely decorated & furnished. All meals were varied, piping hot with plenty of Tea & Coffee & served by lovely, efficient staff, who made mealtimes run like clockwork....excellent!......The evening entertainment was traditional & ended on Thursday night with a Piper & address of the Haggis, very enjoyable. The excursions were mostly spot on, our Driver, Mick, was informative & drove the coach safely & skillfully, my only negatives were not much to do in Fort William & nowhere near enough time in Edinburgh to do it justice, I think a full day would be needed....All in all, we had a great time, & would definately recommend this break to everyone.

Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Yarebeast
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We have just returned from our first Lochs and Glens holiday. As others have said the hotel is looking a bit tired but very helpful staff more than make up for it. We requested and got a nice room with a Loch view and a shower. The Loch view was great to wake up to each morning. The daily coach trips which were included were great. On our first evening in the restaurant we asked for a table for 2 and was told that they didn't have any and we were then put on a table with total strangers - some people like this as they may make new friends but it is not something my husband and I feel comfortable with as not everyones manners/eating habits are the same and it can become quite uncomfortable at meal times. The food was very acceptable for the rating of the hotel and you could always ask for more of anything at each meal and it was happily given. The cost of the holiday which included return coach travel to Scotland, half board hotel, and daily excursions is fantastic value for money - no it's not 5 star but then we didn't pay 5 star prices.

Room Tip: When you make your booking you can request a Loch View room but you will be informed that it is ungu...
2 Thank fishingCambridge_UK
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

on arrival we were greeted with a smile, and the smile was there all through the holiday,we went to our room ( 40 ) as we opened the door we just stood in the doorway, the windows maybe a wee bit small but the view was spectacular, overall a very good room, breakfast was a three course delight, each morning something different ,black pudding (yum yum) another morning tattie scones (yum yum yum ) as an exiled scot this brought back some very fond memories, evening meals, the choice was fantastic for the price, being a fish eater I had fish three of the five nights , another night macaroni and cheese, and another night roast beef,my compliments to the chef and his staff, the waiting staff just amazing, nothing was to much trouble,pleasant ,clean and affable, a credit to the management , minor problem with the hot water in our room,we were offered to stay in there new 11 million pound hotel for the night which was quite nearby, but we were happy to stay in room 40 , problem solved following day, two nights later we were given a envelope with a reimbursement of one nights stay for two in cash , totally unnecessary but most acceptable, cleanliness of the rooms, spotless, never seen better ,no stale smells everything in working order,day trips brilliant our driver Dean knows how to please people, he went above and beyond what you would normally expect, all in all a fantastic lochs and glens holiday. LANG MAY YER LUM REEK.... mr and mrs daly

Room Tip: just take what is there and enjoy
8 Thank catskittens
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful break to the Loch Long Hotel in Arrochar in Scotlland where we had the most enjoyable time , thanks to the staff and our driver Jeff.
We were greeted by a young lady called Ali who gave us all our information as to what was going on ie meal times etc, she then escorted us inside where we were met by lovely Anthony who showed us the way to our room 319 on the third floor, it was nicely decorated and warm with lovely side views up the loch.

We had a comfy room with a double and a single bed which suited as my partner is on the large side , the bedding was crisp and clean and the peach towels complimented the decor in the shower room where the water was always lovely and hot.

The meals were well cooked with adequate portions and good choices , the dining room staff were second to none and could not do enough for you . each course had its own waiter/watress who were dressed in wonderful scottish outfits with smiles to match [ please lose the cowboy and see you jimmy hats on first night they're not appropriate, so much nicer without them ].

The entertainment wasnt too bad and suited the audience who were like myself between 65 and 80. It would be nice if it would start a bit earlier as we had to wait 2 hours approx until 9pm which was a bit long as our dinner was 6pm - 6.20.pm. Maybe have the quiz incorporated into the evening also most people in this age group dont mind the odd game of Bingo.
This hotel is in a beautiful position in a village with good amenities ie small shops which cater for most needs, a couple of good bars, would recommend the Ben Arthur with its great views and friendly staff and a bus which will take you into Helensburgh which is a lively little town with good shopping, all of which are just across the road.
I met my family in the village while I was here and Anthony very kindly said we were welcome to have them at our table for dinner for a small charge, I thought this was a nice gesture ... thanks Anthony.
This was our first trip with Lochs and Glens and in no way will it be our last we have booked again for December for the mountains and mistletoe at the Loch Long. another booking has been made for the Inversnaid for October and hoping to go to Artgarten next March.

This firm is the best operator I have had in ten years of coaching and would highly recommend them, from the management right along the line this hotel is run very efficiently with a smile and nothing is too much trouble for any one member of staff, thankyou Lochs and Glens can wait to return

4 Thank Myra H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrochar
Arrochar Hotel
Arrochar Hotel
#4 of 6 in Arrochar
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Loch Long Hotel? Share your experiences!