“Relaxing break...if you dont mind sharing it with stag/hen partys!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Forest Holidays Ardgartan Argyll, Scotland

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arrochar
Forest Holidays Ardgartan Argyll, Scotland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Relaxing break...if you dont mind sharing it with stag/hen partys!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband and I and our 2 young children under the age of 6yrs stayed in a Silver Birch Lodge for 3 nights. The cabin was fantastic, the hottub and decking area were brilliant. We were very glad to have brought our own food as the Forest Retreat shop prices are way over the top. Our cabin didnt have a clear view of the loch as ours faced another row of cabins. But we didnt mind that as we could still see a view of the mountains.
My only reason for giving a rating of 3* is purely down to the lack of interest from the staff in ensuring that the rules stated in the manual regarding noise level to be kept to a minimum from 10pm onwards is adhered to. I would have thought a simple walk about the site at 10pm by a member of staff to check that noise levels were reduced would be easy enough to apply? There were 2 parties going on every night and unfortunately one party was next door. The first night the partying went on until 5am (I say partying but it turned into fighting into the early hours) and it was a nightmare to the point that we had thought about jacking it in. But, we decided since it was the first night for us all we would let it go.
The site cannot be described as Idyllic, peaceful and tranquil when there are partys allowed to go on with thumping music for the whole area to hear.
We have stayed in a similar holiday park in York where partys are banned altogether in order to keep the reputation of the place intact and it works! Maybe this is something Forest Holidays should think about.
Would we return again? It's a 'don't know' for now!

Room Tip: Use the online map to select your cabin
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank C O
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Ardgartan Argyll, Scotland, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you liked your cabin but concerned that your holiday was marred by other groups being noisy. We are grateful for your feedback and we will review how we handle these situations in the future. It’s no consolation but this level of disturbance is rare and I hope you will stay with us again in the future to enjoy the peace and tranquility that many of our guests comment upon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Dundee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Just home from a four night stay at this most idyllic tranquil site. We were in cabin two with our four children and impressed by the space and high ceilings within the cabin. Ours had an unobscured view of the loch which was amazing. The internal spec of the cabin was very high- underfloor heating, log burning stove, hot tub, wii console ( essential for our four kids when the weather prevented little explorers from getting to know their surroundings) power showers well equipped kitchen and comfortable and contemporary furnishings. The cabin was clean and had been refurbished earlier in the year.
The site itself is needing to be landscaped but it did not detract in any way. There is a play area for the kids and plenty of places to explore along the beach and in the surrounding forests. Half an hour away is the sea life centre at balloch and a short drive away is the hotel at Drimsynie (sp?) which for £2.85 per child provides unlimited soft play and lunch when weather gets too wet.
On site there is the forest retreat which is a wee shop and cafe as well stocked with essentials and nice wee nick nacks. You can buy freshly baked bread to order whenever you need it. The croissants are awesome. The staff have without exception been very friendly, helpful and pleasant and very patient with our two year old twins who were a little over enthusiastic at times!
I cannot recommend this place highly enough- in fact we rebooked to stay again next October. Many thanks to you all
Only one word of warning- the decking on the verandah is v slippy when wet and I have come home with a sprained wrist and some bruises from my little slip on it.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Louise S
Thank you for your review following your recent 4 night stay at Argyll. I am pleased that you enjoyed your family holiday and found plenty to keep the children occupied. Your recommendations will be useful to our other guests, I am sure. I am very sorry to hear about your fall and I hope that your wrist is feeling a little better now. We look forward to seeing you all again next October.
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

The boyfriend and I have just got back from a 4 night mid-week break, we stayed in a Golden Oak cabin (No. 37) ... was amazing! Don't think I can think of a single thing to fault.

The location of the site is perfect, amazing views of Loch Long and mountains all around, so peaceful and tranquil and despite it being a family friendly site (so dogs and children about) we felt like we were the only ones there!

The cabin itself was lovely, very tastfully decorated and well equipped with everything and more you would need and want for a 5* self catering break. We stopped at the Asda in Dumbarton (think this is the closest major supermarket) en route and stocked up on food supplies! The cabin was impeccably clean. The shower was huge, with excellent water pressure and temperature. The whole cabin is under-floor heated so very toasty! Nipping from the cabin to the hot tub on the decking in the complimentary robes and slippers was a twice daily routine for us, the hot tubs are well maintained and relaxing in the warmth of the bubbles under the stars was a holiday hightlight... very romantic!

The staff on site were very happy and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them; helping us out with planning walking routes and providing a complimentary map of the local area. They made us feel very welcome.

We walked between 6-8 miles each day at various locations in the Argyll Forest. If you like walking and exploring then I would highly recommend visting 'Puck's Glen' and 'Ardentinny' both about a 30 minute drive from the site.

We are two very happy customers and would strongly recommend visiting the Argyll Forest Holiday site to anyone, it is suitable for all. We would definitely return to this site and are likely to try another of Forest Holidays sites.

Room Tip: Although there is the option when booking to pay a premium for a cabin with a Loch view, all the cab...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jasmin C
Thank you for your lovely review. It’s a great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your holiday with us at Argyll. You seem to have made the most of the location with some good walks and I am delighted that you enjoyed your hot tub under the stars too. We hope to see you soon, either at Argyll or at one of our other 8 UK locations.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Booked this through a voucher from living social so the price was very reasonable , family ranged from 11 to 65 and everybody had a fantastic time , the staff who take care of the holiday retreat do a very good job and will bend over backward to accommodate your every need .
The log cabins were spotless the hot tub superb and the views were the icing on the cake , weather was very good to us but if wanted to go in the winter the cabin's would keep you well and truly warm.
We canoed on loch long ,and a night walk with the ranger (missed the deer ) very informative and interesting nephew was made up with the night vision goggles. ,Also hired a boat on loch lomond and tried our hand at fishing , didn't catch much but picking the mussles from around the beach made up for a poor catch, (delicious with garlic butter)
You will not get bored so much to do and see on your door step , however if you wanted to do absolutely zilch then you would be hard pushed to find somewhere as peaceful as this little corner of the trossachs.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Ardgartan Argyll, Scotland, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your very kind review following your recent holiday with Forest Holidays. Your break sounds like a perfect way to spend your time at Argyll; canoeing, Forest Ranger activities, fishing and collecting mussels. And as you say, it’s also the perfect location to do nothing but relax and look at the views.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Booked this for partners birthday and we were not sure what to expect. We did not arrive until around 8.15pm so it was pitch black. We were slightly late as check-in closes at 8pm however we rang up to inform the site and they assured us it was no problem and someone would still be there to greet us.

Upon waking up the next morning and opening the curtains I literally said the word "wow" out loud. We were in cabin 30, just a few feet away from the loch and the view of the mountains was just phenomenal. As we went in October, therefore slightly out of season, the weather was not great but we did not mind as we expected this. We also took our pet Lab with us, therefore thought perhaps the standard of accommodation wouldn't be too great. I couldn't of been more wrong as the interior design of this cabin was just fantastic. Definitely 5* accommodation.

The only thing I could complain about was when we arrived we had ordered the entertainment package but found we had no Wi-Fi and no movies available. We had to ring reception (out of hours phone number) and ask them to enable this feature for us.

Staff seemed nice but we did not see much of the them at all, only on check in briefly and then again on check out. All in all I would definitely recommend this place to couples and families alike. In particular I would highly recommend taking your dogs with you as there are so many lovely walks nearby it would be a shame not to.

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend paying that little bit extra for a Golden Oak cabin to get the benefits...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent holiday with us at Argyll. I am pleased that you enjoyed your cabin and the wonderful views – all the better that you didn’t see them until you opened the curtains in the morning. As for the team, we’re there to help when we’re needed, otherwise we like to let our guests relax and choose how to spend their time, so we don’t interfere too much! I hope we’ll see you again, along with the dog, soon.
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Stayed a mid week 4 day break in a pet friendly 1 bed golden oak. We've stayed at the Strathyre site twice before but only in silver birches so it was nice to try a different location.
The cabin was lovely, compact but clean. Under floor heating was roasting and we couldn't complain about the weather as it was dry. We paid for the entertainment package and used the wifi and watched the movies. My husband did the gorge walking and really enjoyed it. We drove to Inveraray and also round Loch Lomond and did a few walks with our dog.
We had plenty of food with us but did have a fish supper from the chip shop a few miles away - all freshly made so was a bit of a wait.
Cabin had all we needed and nice to have towels and robes which come in the golden oaks (still took own towels to use in the hot tub). Hot tubbed at least twice a day and even cabin 34 had a view of the hills so was not upset there weren't any Loch side ones left or that I hadn't needed to pay to pre book.
The site is quite small and a car is needed as well as a good message shop beforehand (although it appears Asda visit to the site). There are activities to do but these soon add up cost wise - if you're used to a fast paced working life it will take time to accept the complete peace and tranquillity of the area.
It can be an expensive holiday for what is essentially self catering but the hot tub is good and there are offers to help reduce the costs and if you can vary your dates can be a lot cheaper.
If you dont want to stretch to paying to book a particular cabin I wouldnt worry too much about it - all have some sort of view and all you need to do is step outside your door to enjoy it!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Holidaytink
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Ardgartan Argyll, Scotland, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent break at Argyll. I am pleased you enjoyed the break and that the weather stayed dry for you – always a bonus! It is a peaceful location and I can understand how it can take a while to slow your pace down, but there is no better advice than yours - to simply step outside and enjoy the views.
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

The cabin itself was lovely. We paid the extra £25 to get golden oak cabin 7 which over looks the Loch. The cabin was very clean - we had 3 rooms but only needed the 1. I do think it's quite expensive but we had a really relaxing 4 nights. If you choose a cabin I would suggest going for the ones along the edge as the cabins next to 7 do have a few trees obstructing the views. The silver cabins at the back don't have much of a view and some face eachother or the path. The outlets provided for the television didn't work in our cabin (although they said it was a problem with the PS3/dvd players which we tried in them) but as I had read a review previously from a few months back I suspect it's just a problem with the outlets that hasn't been fixed. The staff were very friendly and helpful and tried to fix the problem (but i did feel a bit like I was being awkward!) Like others have said, I would definitely go to the supermarket before arriving as there really aren't any big shops around but for us, that wasn't a problem. We went for a relaxing week away and we definitely got that. I would recommend to others. Just be aware that the size of the Forest Retreat is somewhat exaggerated! It has the very essential products & you can order a few bits but nothing too complex. The hot tub was amazing and we used it several times despite it raining a bit! I think it just added to the atmosphere. 4pm is late check in, I agree but that seems to be the same as the other Forest Holidays. Really lovely week and was sad to leave.

Room Tip: I think 25/26 and 9/10 have the best views as they are unobstructed. We had cabin 7 which had good v...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review following your recent break at Argyll. I am pleased that you enjoyed a relaxing week in the forest, overlooking the loch. The team at Argyll are there to help and want every aspect of your holiday to be enjoyable, so never be afraid to call on them. I am sorry they weren’t able to sort the problem with your connections but we will look into whether we can address this for the future. I do hope you will stay with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrochar
Lodge on Loch Lomond
#1 of 17 in Arrochar
Loch Lomond Waterfront
Loch Lomond Waterfront
#1 of 5 in Balmaha

Been to Forest Holidays Ardgartan Argyll, Scotland? Share your experiences!