“Wonderful location and luxurious cabins”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arrochar
Forest Holidays Ardgartan Argyll, Scotland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We have been to several Forest Holiday sites, the company and the cabins get a 5 star from me every time. This is a particularly stunning location, right on the shore of Loch Long with direct access. Two things contribute to my decision to award 4 overall rather than 4 - the cabins are much closer together than other Forest Holidays sites, and there cycle routes which leave directly from the site are too challenging for family cycling (though beautiful for walking) - we've come to expect this from other Forest Holiday sites such as Sherwood Pines and Forest of Dean. Don't let these things put you off, it's a great location to explore Argyll (particularly recommend Puck's Glen & Benmore Gardens).

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Sh0girl
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Ardgartan Argyll, Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent break at Argyll and welcome back once again to Forest Holidays. I am pleased that you enjoyed your break and found the location so pleasing. I hope we will see you again soon either here or at another location.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

An amazing long-weekend at Ardgartan. Cabin a perfect size for the two of us plus Max the dog, clean and well presented. Site very quiet although full, our cabin, terrace and hot tub felt secluded. Lots of dog-friendly walks from right on the doorstep - we didn't get in the car once from arrival to departure. We did the twilight walk with Forest Ranger Andy who was friendly and very knowledgable - well worth doing if you are interested in the wildlife. A super time was had by all, we hope to be back very soon!

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed your break with us at Argyll, and what a great feeling to park the car and not need it once. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Used Forest Holidays as our base for the Commonwealth Games.
Such a beautiful location and breathtaking view from our Golden Oak Lodge.
Nothing too much trouble for the staff, they certainly add to the experience.
Only gripe would be that the spa jets were a bit pathetic and not convinced all worked.
Fabulous walks / runs / bike rides right from your lodge, so great for active outdoorsy bods.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your break at Argyll to see the Commonwealth Games. I am pleased you enjoyed the location and I hope you had a good time at the games too. I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Have I mentioned the rain yet?

We are just finishing up a week with Forest Holidays on the banks of Loch Long & what a lovely week its been - despite the weather!

Late last year we bid for Commonwealth Games tickets - when we were successful we decided to make a week of it in Scotland and eventually decided on this site.

Plus:

1. Cabins are lovely (big beds, nice sturdy furniture)
2. Hot tubs (doing some research about buying one!)
3. The location! Ben Arthur on the doorstep...
4. Pizza night - fed a family of four for £25
5. Local pubs (well, the Village Inn) = good food, good beer and a whisky menu
6. Plenty to do locally (Cruise Loch Lommand, Off Road Land Rover Safari, Loch Fyne oyster house)
7. Great walking nearby - plenty of stuff suitable for our children (aged 3 & 6 - we didn't bag any munros but they had a great time)
8. Trail Running - I love off road running so every other morning I stuck the Salomons on and went out of the trails. Quite technical (roots, stones, undulation) with some hefty climbs - but absolutely brilliant. I even went out in one huge rainstorm which was fun.
9. Within 50 mins of Glasgow
10. Wi-fi and sky sports package!
11. Staff - really helpful & really friendly

Downs

1. Bike rental is pricey for a family (we didn't rent) so I'd say bring your own....
2. The weather (Hey, it's Scotland) - so bring the wellies

I guess the ultimate test is would we come back? Yes, 100%. So much to do locally it makes a great base. Might even bring the Grandparents next time so me and the other half can try one of the local culinary highlights....

A

Room Tip: We had a silver birch, if you want lake side they go for the golden oak
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your break with us at Argyll. It sounds action packed from start to finish – I am impressed you managed to fit the Commonwealth games in! We’d love to see you again, along with the grandparents. Hopefully we can arrange slightly better weather for you too.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Our Golden Oak lodge was great, spacious attractive & clean with wonderful views over the loch. The lodge was equipped with everything we needed & more. The staff (on the whole) are helpful & if we asked for anything, eg. wii, breads, towels, the response was always "we'll put it in your lodge" & they did so. We experienced extraordinarily hot, sunny weather so although the hot tub was fab, a cold plunge pool would have had more use! (although I can imagine in all other weather conditions it would be wonderful).
The site is very close to a major road & the traffic can be heard. (Although, after the initial disappointment this did not adversely affect our stay at all- it's actually convenient)
The shop is fine but very limited in terms of supplies. You can order breads & buy milk etc but they do not hold many perishable goods. We ate out- The Village Inn (dogs outside only & no eating outside after 5pm) & The George Hotel (in Inveraray- allows dogs inside & out), both were excellent. We didn't encounter the dreaded midges, only wasps, but I think it was due to the unusually hot weather (no rain, apparently the midges come out in damp conditions).
The area is simply amazingly lovely. We did a family hike up the Cobbler which is really hard (we are not regular hikers) but so worthwhile, the view is superb. We were told it would take 4 hours (round trip) but in the intense sun/heat it took us 6.5! We participated in the canoeing & twilight walk- both good. A great holiday overall. Would return.

3  Thank flippernorth

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your Forest Holidays break at Argyll. I am pleased you enjoyed your holiday and made the most of the Scottish sunshine; I can imagine the climb up the Cobbler was very tiring in the hot weather. I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Me and my husband recently spent the weekend here, and would highly recommend these lodges to couples, families and to group offriends. When we arrived the weather was amazing and the view from our lodge was outstanding. We were greeted by very attentive staff and we were made feel very welcome from the point of arrival. The lodges themselves were very spacious with 2 bedrooms and a large kitchen and living room. Our lodge had a lovely log fire, underfloor heating and an amazing hot tub on the decking. The lodges were situated just a 5 minute drive from the nearest shop and not far from Loch Fyne Oyster Bar. I would highly recommend these lodges to a variety of different people and me and my husband will certainly be back! Thank you for a lovely weekend with such beautiful setting!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your break at Argyll and found the accommodation, the location and the team at Argyll all to your liking. I do hope you will come back and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked into a golden oak cabin as a special place to celebrate my daughter's 30th birthday. Couldn't have made a better choice. The cabin was equipped with everything necessary for any self catering needs, but to be honest we used the outside metal shelf for barbeques and the nearby Village Inn at Arrochar for a Saturday night treat.
Although the weather was typically Scottish with sunshine, showers and a downpour this didn't dampen our spirits as there was always plenty to do whether it be outdoors in the forest, canoeing in the loch or just relaxing in the hot tub after a long day. Although the cabins sit side by side they are staggered in a way that maximises privacy, and the lochside views are especially easy on the eye.
From check in to check out the staff were accommodating and friendly with a sense of humour. The younger contingent of our group went out on the 3 hour canoe lessons and came back exhillirated and eager to participate in the activity at the next opportunity.
There are also lots of walks around the forest that you can do yourself or, if you prefer, a guided walk with one of the Rangers. All in all the ideal setting for family get-togethers with something for everyone, rain or shine.
Thanks to all the staff at Argyll Cabins for making our stay a memorable one. See you again soon!
The Thomson Family

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Ardgartan Argyll, Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent Forest Holidays break at Argyll. I am delighted you enjoyed staying with us and found your cabin and the location in general so pleasing. Thank you also for your feedback with regard to the bins, we will certainly look at that. I do hope we will see you again before too long.

Kind regards,
Amanda Clarke
Holiday Advisors Team Leader

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrochar
Arrochar Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Forest Holidays Ardgartan Argyll, Scotland? Share your experiences!