“Excellent food.”
Review of Ben Arthurs Bothy

Ben Arthurs Bothy
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Arrochar
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Description: Traditional friendly Scottish pub. Bar area has a pool table, two televisions showing sport during the day on BT sport and Sky Sports. A Jukebox at night for music entertainment. Food is also served in the bar. The Lounge area, has stunning Views of Loch Long and the Arrochar Alps. We serve lunch and evening meals. Entertainment through out the year including our New Year party. We pride ourselves on Excellent customer service and delicious food served, Which brings our customers back time and time again.
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

The food is well worth a visit, love the curry, but the service is a bit lacking sometimes. It's nice and quiet in the lounge, a bit noisy in the bar.

1  Thank Peter D

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Very quiet for a Saturday night. No rowdy atmosphere. A few locals who were not at all rude and not many people there at all, but those just minding their own business. Bar staff did smile and say thank you but nothing else. Noone was rude to us and we travelled all the way from the westcountry Somerset and the bar had cider and a tv. Great place to eat as views are good but the atmosphere is very quiet. The other bar has a pool table bit more lively and a few locals who once again were just keeping to themselves all in all just very simple half empty and a typical country pub ie local place just fine if you want a quiet drink. This is a country pub not city centre after all and typical of a rural pub, but some entertainment will draw custom from surrounding hotels and liven things up of course if there was a disco or band I would have gone there rather than the hotel.

1  Thank yjim
Reviewed 18 February 2014

After spending the night at the nearby lovely Arrochar Hotel on Saturday night my partner, friends and I decided to go to the local pub which was the Ben Arthur's Bothy as there was an 80's themed party on. We were chuffed at this and were looking forward to having a few drinks there. Wish we hadn't of bothered! When we first arrived the welcome reception we got from the customers who I'm assuming were locals and regulars was disgusting. Not once were we spoken to by anyone other than the bar staff grunting at us asking what we wanted to drink. Normally when you go to a wee village like this, everyone makes you feel welcome, not this place. I felt so out of place. As the entertainment in our hotel wasn't really our cup of tea and the night was still young, we decided to stay put and enjoy the disco (hats off to the dj, he was the best thing about the place). To top off our bad experience was a young teenage boy who approached our table (obviously because we were strangers) and started throwing accusations at one of the guys we were with. The boy in question was so drunk he couldn't string a sentence together and was clearly looking for trouble. When the bar staff were approached and told he was causing trouble we were basically told it was our own fault. Very cliquey, rude bar staff, ignorant customers, unwelcoming experience. I will never step foot over the door of this place again. Never in my life of touring Scotland have I ever experienced this behaviour from a wee village pub. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

7  Thank Kirsty L
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I have been into the pub 5-6 times over last year,the pub is in a great position,great views,good food at a good price,however the service badly lets this great wee place down.when you go up to order there is no smile or greeting,a slight nod if you are lucky.This makes me feel uncomfortable and I'm sure other people to,on a few visits I have felt invisible as if the staff are chatting between themselves you need to wait & wait!how dare you,a paying customer!interupt.My 12 year old spilt his juice the last time & 2 ladies just looked on,no offer of help or a cloth,ended up I had to ask them & cleaned it myself as they watched from the bar.Come on people the service is CRAP,I am a customer,I'm giving you my hard earned cash!who ever runs this place needs to get a grip of the staff,at least some BASIC customer service skills.

4  Thank Alister M
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Two stars purely for the food, nice setting, food is not bad and decent value but the service is consistently very poor. I have visited 4 times this year and have yet to see a smile from any of the staff in fact I would say my most common experience is to be ignored of glowered at when standing at the bar. How do these people get work in a customer facing environment? Have they never received any training? I ask myself why I go back after my previous experiences and I suppose I kept expecting to be surprised. Won't be back again, shame as could be so much better.

5  Thank JohnnieMc_12