“It deserves to be the local number one!”

The Stables Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Balloch
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I have got to the stage where I won't visit a restaurant until I have checked it's tripadvisor reviews. Generally they are reliable and give a good picture of what to expect, though I have occasionally been caught out, as on my recent trip to Inverness. Here a well rated restaurant was in my view terrible. In the case of The Stables however it lived up to it's positive review and then some.

True, the outside and the inside decor was unprepossessing, though neat and clean. The service and the food was however second to none. Our chatty waitress, who was the same girl that answered the phone to take our booking, seemed to have indefinite supplies of time and patience for all the customers. The restaurant was fairly quiet, but there was more than enough custom to keep her busy. She moved effortlessly from chat, to taking orders and then to smartly delivering them, always asking if there was anything else she could do or get us, and checking that everything was to our liking.

Monday night is fajitas night, and Tuesday, (today) was pizza night. However we spurned the meter long pizza, (picture attached,) though it looked delicious. The menu was varied and I found myself spoilt for choice. Eventually my wife and I shared the gigantic, attractive and beautifully cooked, seafood platter for 2, (also picture attached,) though it looked so appetising that my wife had already loaded her plate before I took the photo! We both then opted for the 9 oz steak sizzle platter. It came with fat chips, onion rings and mushrooms. It was no trouble to arrange to alter mine to a plated steak, as I wanted it blue, and to substitute a backed potato. Our steaks were among the best 2 or 3 I have had in my entire life. I had a good cappuccino to finish, whilst my wife managed a slab of apple pie with cinnamon, which came with a choice of cream, ice cream or CUSTARD, yes custard! A delight so few restaurants can be bothered to offer these days.

All in all a flawless meal, large portions and delightful service, a rare combination these days.

3  Thank CityVisitor186534

Reviewed 31 May 2013

went out with family, found the food good and the service fine, the decor is lacking . It is called the stables but found no evidence of stables or horses, maybe its just me.

1  Thank Susan D
Reviewed 12 April 2013

The Stables was recommended to us by Sunnyside B&B where we were staying and were given a 5% off ticket.
We were very glad that we went with this recommendation as the place was great. It looked great and was well decorated. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to make sure you had a nice meal. The food was excellent as was the wine. :-)
A short walk from the centre of balloon and all the other pubs.
Great wee place.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have been to this restraunt several times ans have had noting but a good meal and great service. The family have even used it for birthdays and aniversaries. The staff cant do enough for you and the meals are very well priceed and excellent quality. I would recommend this place for a special occaion or just for a pleasant meal out.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Lovely atmosphere and a very warm welcome on arrival. Menu is super with lots of choice. My daughter loves the steak pie, its delicious and my steak was cooked to perfection.

The sweets are wonderful and very well presented too - simply scrummy. Chocolate fudge cake is our favourite and is a very generous portion.

Service here is excellent and staff look after you well. It all add up to good value and we will visit again soon.