“Lovely warm welcome after a long day walking” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Glenfern Guest House
Ranked #6 of 26 Balloch B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely warm welcome after a long day walking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

I stayed in the Glenfern after taking part in the Kiltwalk (26.2 mile walk from Hampden to Loch Lomond) and although I'm from Glasgow decided to stay over in Balloch to enjoy the celebrations after the walk.

I'm glad I chose to stay in the Glenfern as my friend & myself received a very warm welcome from Frank & Susan on arrival.

We stayed in room 3 which was a very nicely decorated twin and it was very well equipped with everything we needed after a long day of walking.

The Glenfern is only a 5 minute walk away from Loch Lomond shore & as it's based on the main road in Balloch you're close to all the pubs & restaurants that Balloch has to offer without having to walk for miles (Which was a bonus for us the Sunday that we stayed)

We both found the Glenfern to be spotless, the owners have 2 small dogs but until you see the dogs you really woulnd't know they're there.

Breakfast on Monday morning was great, after our long day on Sunday & a few beverages to celebrate our achievement on Sunday night, a cooked breakfast was just what the doctor ordered to get us going on Monday, everything was great, I opted for some bacon & egg with toast & really couldn't falt any of it.

I would definately recommend staying in the Glenfern if you're looking for a B&B that's close to everything Balloch has to offer, Frank & Susan will make you feel very welcome & at home & the location is perfect.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Frank and Susan run a nice B&B with their two dogs (who are kept out of the way, so no worries if you don't like dogs). We got there late and got a nice, clean room. Two beds, very comfortable and tea and biscuits included (help yourself, waterboiler in the room etc).

The shower had vet little pressure, but it was fine, the bathroom very clean and there were complimentary soaps and body lotions in there as well.

Frank was very knowledgeable and gave us severly maps, not only of the area, but also one over where we were going the next day. He also lent us a DVD with history of Loch Lomond and scenery, tips on where to go etc. I think we had an hours conversation with him all together and ended up anriking a place he recommended to our travel route (which didn't dissapoint, by the way)

We ordered a cooked breakfast which was good, but could choose from other things as well. After the ther guests had left the dining room I got to meet the dogs too ;-)

All in all a very homely and cosy place, run by warm, lovely people. Location is perfect, main road through Balloch, 5 min walk from the trail station. They only have room for about 2 cars though, so check this out before you order,

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Rapla
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Great location, on the main road and house owner was really helpful. We got warm welcome late night and so we decided stay for longer. Breakfast was good and room was very cosy. We had some problem with Internet, but owner helped us with that and finally we finished all our things.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Cambridge, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Americans especially will not understand the concept of people who appear to be nice but offer terrible service, but this is not uncommon in the UK especially at old-school bed and breakfasts where the owners still think that the place is to be run for their maximum convenience rather than that at the guest.

I had chosen to stay at this place because they had advertised flexibility in breakfast choices, and because I love Scottish kippers but detest greasy fry ups. I had phoned, and the lady-owner had been perfectly charming and agreed to get me kippers.

When I arrived I found my room to be immaculately clean and beautifully appointed. The bed turned out to be extremely comfortable, nicely-arranged tea and cookies were thoughtfully left, the bathroom was absolutely proper -- a great place to stay at a budget price.

But then came the discussion of breakfast. I told the owner (the husband of the lady I'd
spoken to earlier I believe) that the only way I could do a hike I wanted to do the next day and catch a ferry across Loch Lomond afterwards was to leave on a bus at 8:30 so I would like breakfast at 8 o'clock. But, the owner said, this was impossible. Breakfast could not be served before 8:30.

This seemed astonishing not only to me but to other hikers I met later in the day: it seems that many places do not serve earlier than that. The owner at my place had told me that he worked hard and it was too difficult for him to make breakfast available earlier. Another hiker told me that the management and his lodging had relented and offered him an 8 am breakfast. But 8:30 is apparently the norm, despite the fact that this is the site of some of the most stunning scenery in the world and active outdoors people would surely want to be out at first light to experience its charms to the maximum.

So, I went out without breakfast, thinking I would at least get my kippers today, a Sunday, when I had no plans to get up early. The owner told me that on Sundays breakfast did not start until 9, so I assumed there was no hurry. About ten past nine I told him I would like my kippers and he said ok. I had a shower, did up my bags and went down at 9:40 -- to be told that they stopped serving breakfast at 9:30 and I could not have kippers. The owner did bring me toast and tea, and to his credit he also deducted 10 pounds off my bill for the missed
breakfast.

In addition, he went beyond the call of duty and very kindly phoned round several taxi companies to get me a cab -- hard to find on a Sunday morning.

So here is this mystery situation: Glenfern is an immaculate bed and breakfast with obliging management -- but obliging within strict limits. Go beyond those limits and you will be out of luck. The good news is that Tripadvisor now exists to educate managements of traveler expectations. So, with a few more frank reports on both the good and the bad about bed and breakfasts in this region, things may change. The management seem like really nice people, after all: they simply need to learn about how to respond to modern expectations.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank patisson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balloch
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Palombo's of Balloch
Palombo's of Balloch
#14 of 26 in Balloch
Innkeeper's Lodge Loch Lomond

Been to Glenfern Guest House? Share your experiences!