“Average service, overpriced”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 May 2014

A very average experience. We were dining together; one dish was enormous whilst the other was very small, and certainly not appropriate for the price being paid.

The restaurant has an informal style, but there were some basic errors in service which I would not mind if it was a lot cheaper. Overall cost not justified for the experience.

1  Thank Likescomfort1

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I know this place is expensive, coz I've been before. On that occasion we ordered a couple of brunch style starter/small plates of Loch Fyne seafood. Extremely tasty, but pricey. This time we were just in for coffee.

The powder blue and white wooden eatery reminds me of a New England beach side colonial style building (Just like you'd see in Jaws). Pastel walls, white wooden beams and chairs made out of old rowing oars grace the inside. Loch Lomond, Cameron House and the marina are the backdrop from the outside. The setting couldn't be better.

The coffee was ok, but no where near as good as a specialist coffee bar can muster. And given the surroundings, I thought it would be better. I knew the coffee would be expensive too, so estimated £5 for two small americanos (naive?) So up I popped with a fiver in my hand and a little something for the waiters.

SHELL SHOCKED! £8.25! That fiver's not gonna be enough then :-\ (I know. £8.25 doesn't even split into 2 round numbers. So let's say it was £7.50 plus A 10% SERVICE CHARGE! - sighhh...) And this is where I'm torn, coz I should have known the state of play before I ordered. I can't justify a 1 star review just because I was caught out by price. I didn't need to sit down and drink the stuff.

So I base my judgment on knowing all before me - would I go back, the coffee, the price, being served by 3 staff and by the backdrop. If this was a cup of joe concocted by some Norwegian java guru or raved about by the coffee cognoscenti then it would be a 5, but it wasn't. It was a coffee I could get from the drip machine in Pret for a Pound served by 2 perfectly competent people. So next time we'll be stopping elsewhere for a coffee. But we'll not be missing out on these beautiful surroundings, coz we'll be drinking them in The Boathouse car park. We may pop in for an oyster or 2 though? :-)

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The look of the restaurant is fabulous, very nautical but we sat at the window and it was very cold. we did mention this to our server but she said it takes time to heat up!!! If you are open for business be ready for business. That aside the lunch was lovely and the service was very good. It was early in the day and therefore a few more people would have added atmosphere. In the hight of the summer it will be stunning.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

£13 for a glass of wine and a beer ??? Ridiculous.
The bar service is very slow
Nice place though with a great view of the marina.
If the weather is nice there is a outdoor sitting area

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked in with a touch of reluctance, but a friend had given us a (£70) voucher so nothing to lose. I know May is supposed to be getting a bit warmer but it wasn't and neither was the restaurant. The seats were very tired so it felt like eating at a high counter. We were stuck with the Table d'Hote menu which has very little choice - if we'd been allowed to make our choice from the A la Carte menu we would have actually spent less so their profit would have been greater. I had the Chicken Parmegiana which was completely tasteless over-cooked cardboard. The avocado was bitter and apart from a few curls of fried courgette there were no vegetables. Had I realised, I could have ordered a 'side' from the main menu (which we had initially been given even though the voucher had been presented) and would have done so but would have had to pay for it as it wasn't part of the deal. My partner had the Bream - the only fish choice and surely very little to do with Loch Fyne. The skin wasn't crispy and the small portion was swamped by a pile of rather nasty 'Citrus Crushed Potatoes'. Don't even look at the wine list - not a bottle under £25.
We avoided the deserts as neither of us are pudding people and anyway the choice was no real choice and spent £50.80 of the voucher and a further £16 on a glass of wine, a G&T and a Coke - including a 10% service charge! The wife said we were paying for the view - sorry, in Scotland the view is free!
Thoroughly miserable, never again.