“Good...but...”

The Tullie Inn
Ranked #7 of 25 Restaurants in Balloch
Price range: US$6 - US$22
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Having visited the Tullie Inn previously for drinks, my two companions and I decided to try some food yesterday (27/06/14). I have previously had poor experiences in the neighbouring Balloch House Hotel and so I was keen to try somewhere else.

As always, the Tullie Inn is very nice aesthetically. My friends and I decided to eat inside but in the more relaxed area outwith the restaurant. At first there was some confusion amongst us if this was possible as there doesn't appear to be any menus on these tables - only a drinks list and World Cup snacks leaflet.

As a result, I headed towards the restaurant to try and locate a member of staff who advised that this would be fine. As I look at the Inn's website just now, I see that there is a value menu available all day Monday-Friday but unfortunately we weren't made aware of this which is a pity because it actually looks like it offers a good choice of dishes for the money. My only guess is that this value menu is only available to guests opting to dine in the restaurant which seems rather mean all things considered.

First impressions of the Garden Menu were that it offers a good choice but in my opinion, isn't the cheapest for mains with prices ranging from £8.50 for a three egg omelette to £11.50 for pulled pork. It's not very often you find somewhere that offers brunch and as a result, all three of us chose the Scottish Breakfast which, again looking at the menu, I see should have come with toast. Unfortunately, we never received our toast which has resulted in me reducing this review to 4 stars and has made me a tad miffed.

That said, what was served was tasty enough and the female member of staff (perhaps a manager given her attire) was very pleasant indeed. Priced at £7 and including tea or coffee, I would say it represented pretty good value for money. To make it exceptional, I would add black pudding, a link sausage and of course, ensure that what should be served, is served. A mention also to the barman who offered us a 'cheers' as we left to cycle back home to Glasgow.

Being the party animal that I am, I also had a nice pint of Guinness - £3.70 I believe.

All in all then a positive experience with a point or two to note. Will I be back? More than likely but I'm also keen to see what other eateries are in the area.

1  Thank Globetrotter1984_10
TullieInn, General Manager at The Tullie Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us. I am so disappointed that we didn't get the 5 stars and that you didn't get your toast!! Apologies and I hope to see you again at The Tullie Inn!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed 26 June 2014

For early evening with four adults and three children aged 7 and under. Nobody was watching the England game that was on TV in the bar....should I be surprised since it was the final game against costa rica....so good to keep in touch with score except that it never changed from 0-0

Its a limited menu but fine for what it does well.....and the service and surroundings are better than you'd get ion the chain restaurants...

Very enjoyable and good value

Thank you for taking the time to review us...hopefully we will see you back at The Tullie Inn soon!!!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We spotted this restaurant whilst visiting Balloch awaiting the Loch Lomond cruise. It looked good from the outside but even better inside. We ate in the light, bright, modern conservatory and thoroughly enjoyed our food which was served by very pleasant staff. Give the Tullie a try if you're in the area. Good food, nice surroundings and reasonably priced.

TullieInn, General Manager at The Tullie Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for a great review. We are delighted you chose the Tullie to dine before your boat trip and look forward to you returning the next time you are in Balloch.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

went on sunday ,3 adults and baby, the girl who greeted us at door was lovely , didn't get her name, dark hair and glasses on , she got us a high chair and even got us a cushion so baby could sit comfortably, she was a lovely person , as all staff where, we all ordered the burgers and they where fab , will defo be back here

Thank you for a delightful review. It is always great to receive positive feedback as the team work very hard to deliver good food and service at all times. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

As a local we often go into balloch for dinner we went in here first time since it had its make over and I have to say they shouldn't have bothered . Because nothing covers the fact it's over priced understaffed and giving out very poor quality food only people who will go here now are people from other places on holiday and what a poor example of our lovely town needs a good shake up

2  Thank alison c

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit. Could you please contact me directly to discuss this further? Telephone 01389 7452052 or Email tullieinn@maclay.co.uk.