Balmaha Bunkhouse
  • Breakfast included
US$101
US$89
Travelocity
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel(Luss)(Great Value!)
US$197
Hotels.com
US$204
US$195
Travelocity
  • Pool
US$89
PremierInn.com
Rob Roy Hotel(Aberfoyle)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$73
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Helensburgh Seafront(Helensburgh)(Great Value!)
US$63
US$64
Travelodge
US$108
US$98
All reviewswest highland waycooking facilitiesloch lomondabrupt mannerhot showercold breakfastdouble kayakdry our clothessimple breakfastfree cerealsmall kitchencomfy sofastumble dryerbed roomcommon roomfriendly welcomefirst stop
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I had read some previous reviews of the bunkhouse and B&B but I prefer to make my own mind up, more people tend to review to moan than to praise.

As a solo walker, I was pleased to learn that there was a single room B&B in the main house available for a night as I walked the West Highland Way. The breakfast is optional so you can pay just for the room if you wish. I was met at the door by Jock who wasn't an Ogre as some reviews seem to suggest and shown upstairs to the single room.

If you book a single room and it's a cheap price, you aren't expecting a huge room with lots of space and all the mod cons but the room did the job. After all, I was only wanting somewhere to sleep, rest my feet and warm/dry up after a day walking in the rain, I wasn't planning a weeks stay.

The room has a toilet, sink and also a shower as well as a TV and tea/coffee making facilities and I found the bed to be comfy enough. Well, I had no trouble getting to sleep and managed a good sleep, so no complaints there as it meant I set off for the walk the next day refreshed after being wished good luck by Jock.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank arcticfox2096
Balmahahouse, Manager at Balmaha Bunkhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for your kind and positive review.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Recently stayed here as the first stop on the west highland way - location is excellent as is the quality of the rooms and cooking facilities offered complimentary breakfast in the morning is also welcomed.
Not to keen on the lecture with regard to house rules immediately on arrival when the 6 of us were dripping wet - possibly a bad experience in the past has led to this on the part of the owner, Jock.
I would stay again but would be looking for a little more consideration by the owner if I had just walked 21 miles in the rain.
Ps a drying room disguised as a small she'd is not a drying room

1  Thank maram34
Balmahahouse, Manager at Balmaha Bunkhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you for your positive comments, Constructive comments are always welcome and as per any walk of life we Gwen and I will learn from them.
I give everyone a short talk about the layout of the accommodation pointing out important things for all to be aware of, it is far from it being a lecture, I give information that I hope will be usefully to guest during their stay, i.e. how the showers,Cooker,lights,WiFi, work I do also include a sentence about showing respect for others who are using the accommodation. No where on my web site or in our marketing material does it say we have a drying room, the shed was put there not long ago to assist the baggage handlers and to have extra storage for guests if they need it, for example to store bikes. I can tell you that the shed was not disguised or camouflaged in any way. After 28 years in the Military and with many miles of walking running & carrying heavy weights under my belt, walking 21 miles lots of respect to you all. I am sure if I did not give you the information in order for you all to settle in comfortable, you would have been banging on my door asking. Good luck to you all and look after those feet.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Warm welcome from Jock who gave us a quick tour before leaving us to settle in. Balmaha Bunkhouse is a very well run, great value hostel in an ideal location on the West Highland Way in the quiet hamlet of Balmaha. It's a very short walk from the Oak Tree Inn if you want to eat/drink there, but there's kitchen facilities with complimentary tea/coffee, as well as bread and jam, and cereal for breakfast. Would definitely stay again when on The Way.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Our pleasure to have very enthusiastic friendly people staying at our wee place, thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We decided to explore Loch Lomond by boat, but weren't sure anyone would hire canoes to us as we had no previous experience.

We saw Jock's sign outside Balmaha House and went in to ask for details.

The service was great and the price too! £25 for canoe for 2 and £20 for a single one.

Jock explained all the health and safety things we had to be aware of before we went out with the canoes and played a DVD with further instructions and details about the islands on the lake and the lake itself.

He made sure we had contact permanently (by phone), recommended some place to stop on the lake and told us about the weather forecast.

Made us feel (me the most - as I was with two guys that were really excited for this! - very safe)

All the gear is provided! Top service and very friendly and professional!

Jock helped us with the boats when we got back. Would recommend to anyone! Best experience from this long Bank Holiday/ Easter weekend!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Fantastic you all had a great time, you all enjoyed yourself and respected the information that was passed on to you all. A Massive Thank You.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

First time staying in the self contained cottage, its all you could ask for. There is plenty of room in the cottage, toilet and kitchen are ideal and the double bed which is always nice...
Ran by nice people and the location speaks for itself.

Room Tip: Conservatory is superb after the first stage of the WHW
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Balmahahouse, Manager at Balmaha Bunkhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

We realise you have very good choices of accommodation along the west highland way, So a Big thank you for choosing to stay in our Self Catering Chalet. Your review is very much appreciated and very encouraging for both Gwen and I and help to keep a smile on our face. Thank you.
"Haste Ye Back"