“Perfect accommodation for walkers”
Review of Balmaha Bunkhouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Balmaha
Balmaha Bunkhouse
Durban
“Perfect accommodation for walkers”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed 1 night here after walking the WHW from Milngavie. The three of us were in a bunk room for 6 people but had the room to ourselves which was a treat. Clean & comfortable accommodation that provides everything you need. Shared shower/toilet facilities and a good sized kitchen/lounge with all the mod-cons. A simple breakfast was included of cereal & toast which was perfect for us. Great location for WHW walkers as it's literally on the path, so no extra walking involved! Would definitely recommend to others.

Stayed August 2014
Balmahahouse, Manager at Balmaha Bunkhouse, responded to this review, 4 October 2014
Gwen and I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your v positive review.
"THANK YOU".

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Fort William, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We arrived on Saturday 2nd August after walking from Milgavie in the pouring rain all day, we were very wet and cold and there was no heating on. After asking if the heating could be switched on it eventually was for a full 20 minutes!!! Needless to say we left in the morning with just the same amount of wet clothes that we arrived arrived with.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lynn M
Balmahahouse, Manager at Balmaha Bunkhouse, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Lynn:
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. All guests are made aware of the facilities we offer, and it is the responsibility of the potential guest to make sure our Very Good, Clean, Value for Money Cost Effective, Budget. Accommodation, meets their requirements before booking.
Our Brochure which is pointed out to guests on arrival, offers a laundry Service so those who wish to have their clothes cleaned & laundered can do so, by calling the Laundry Lady. who will wash dry and iron guests Laundry. This is also explained to potential guests through our terms and Conditions brochure which is also shown on our web site. We do not have on site laundry facilities.
I hope all our guests are well rested enjoy their stay and that the sun shines on you always.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I was there mid week, and the bunkhouse happened to be very empty. I was hiking the WHW way from Fort William to Milngavie (backwards), and was tired and sore. Jock promised me the room to myself if any more people arrived… very thoughtful. I got the well needed rest I needed to finished my last 20miles the next day. The bunkhouse has a very home style (rather than hostel style) feel. Definitely appreciated the self-catering facilities and fair price. Complimentary tea/coffee and light breakfast were nice little bonuses. Thank you. I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: If you have 4 people in your party, try the private chalet (I hope to one day!)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Sarah: It was our pleasure to have such a positive minded person stay at our wee place. Congratulations on your achievement in conquering the mighty WHW.
The chalet with your own private conservatory over looking the loch is a great choice for you and friends. Hope to see you again sometime soon.
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Hiked 20 miles on the WHW then rolled into the bunkhouse. The owner was very welcoming and got me a dorm bed no problem though I think in high season he fills up quickly. Nice clean & quiet spot, tea and coffee all day and cereal or oatmeal for breakfast.

Stayed May 2014
Debbie:
Its Fantastic to meet positive people from all around the World, you are one of them, Congratulations on your achievement on the West Highland Way. We Salute you all the way from Scotland.
Jock & Gwen.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We rented two single kayaks for the day from Jock and really enjoyed the entire experience. Previously renting kayaks at other locations, places usually ask for large deposits, but the only money we had to worry about was the rental price. The safety briefing was short, professional, and very helpful even for an experienced kayaker (and the coffee provided with it went down very well).

Jock took special care in making sure we knew where to go and gave some very helpful tips for enjoying our day (we are archaeologists and he knew some great historic island sites for us to check out).

The cherry on top of this great day was his attentive attitude. He even went so far as to meet us as we pulled up on the beach (directly across the road from the Bunkhouse).

The lovely dog Tiny was also a wonderful host.

We would highly recommend this to anyone who wanted to add a day out on the water to their trip and plan on going back ourselves.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
I am so pleased you had a great safe time, The loch gives you views from a different perspective, your out there amongst the landscape & waters respecting it and enjoying it. thank you for your positive kind words "Haste ye Back".
Jock & Gwen.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

What a lovely place! We stayed in the Bunkhouse for 3 nights, couldn't fault it. Great facilities, very clean, lovely kitchen area - with cereal, bread, milk, and tea and coffee included!! Facilities to lock bikes up and leave bags during the day. Jock and Gwen could not have been nicer, so welcoming and always wiling to help. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you Gwen and I are most grateful for your comments. Hopefully we will see you again sometime in the not to distant future, Good Luck and happy travels.
Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I had read some previous reviews of the bunkhouse and B&B but I prefer to make my own mind up, more people tend to review to moan than to praise.

As a solo walker, I was pleased to learn that there was a single room B&B in the main house available for a night as I walked the West Highland Way. The breakfast is optional so you can pay just for the room if you wish. I was met at the door by Jock who wasn't an Ogre as some reviews seem to suggest and shown upstairs to the single room.

If you book a single room and it's a cheap price, you aren't expecting a huge room with lots of space and all the mod cons but the room did the job. After all, I was only wanting somewhere to sleep, rest my feet and warm/dry up after a day walking in the rain, I wasn't planning a weeks stay.

The room has a toilet, sink and also a shower as well as a TV and tea/coffee making facilities and I found the bed to be comfy enough. Well, I had no trouble getting to sleep and managed a good sleep, so no complaints there as it meant I set off for the walk the next day refreshed after being wished good luck by Jock.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank arcticfox2096
Thank you for your kind and positive review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balmaha
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Winnock Hotel
Winnock Hotel
#1 of 2 in Drymen
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Been to Balmaha Bunkhouse? Share your experiences!